Thompson Sky+ not coming out of standby?

ddan1275

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some work in the house and when I've removed a wall socket front, the power tripped out. I fixed the loose wire and reset the fuseboard but now my Thompson sky + has a flickering red light which it wont knock on. I've turnedit off a number of times but it wont start up.

I've tried disconnecting all leads for a minute, removing power cable for 15 mins then plugging back in while holding the backup in for 60 seconds on the box but none of which do anything.

Does a power failure cause this?

Are there any other options before i try holding the 2 buttons each side of select while powering on?

Basically no. The flickering light pretty much means your box has experienced the usual Thomson power supply issue. Logiciel will be along shortly to tell you to get sky to replace it. :D

so is this a new box or soldering in a new PSU I've read about?

How much is it for sky to replace them?

Get Sky to replace it.:D
You should have had it ages ago - use the e-mail form at MySky to report the failed machine and ask them to send you a free new one by Parcelforce.

Ok I will do this now, what do you mean i should of had it ages ago?

For should read could.
There have been several new models since then - I'm on my second after the Thomson.

I wasn't aware they just send out new sky boxes, and if they do i never knew they sent them until the old one was broken. I've had this about 4 years now

They don't 'just' send out new boxes. They'll probably tell you that you'll have to pay £65 for a service call or you can get a 'free' HD box with 12 months HD subscription.

Ok, thought Logiciel meant they replace them if it's a certain model with a fault. I'll see what they have to say. I sort of know one or 2 people wh work for sky, i might ask them what they charge.

People get their replacements for all kinds of reasons, and for no reason.
There's nothing consistent about it, any more than anything about Sky is consistent.
It depends as much as anything on who gets your e-mail, and if the first agent doesn't supply it, then you try another.
Here are fifteen pages of people's stories of more or less success: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd-sky-3d/1452677-replacement-pvrs-supplied-sky-request.html.
The theme running through it is a slogan, Polite Persistence Pays - when it doesn't work first time, which it may do.

Last edited:
The flickering light pretty much means your box has experienced the usual Thomson power supply issue. Logiciel will be along shortly to tell you to get sky to replace it. :D

And Martin will be along to suggest you get it repaired so you don't lose your recordings and component output sockets. ;)

Who repairs them and is it worthwhile? Not sure what you mean about losing output sockets?

I've been onto sky today via email and they have replied twice with a list of suggestions all of which i tried and told them in my first email that I'd tried. They persist on me repeating sereral times holding down both buttons on startup to wipe the hard drive?

If it's a fault with the power supply you can fix it yourself or get the supplier to do it for you.
Here are the details: Spares for Sky digibox and other receivers.
The Thomson has Component Video Out sockets, which other models don't have. It's an advantage to some users, either for themselves or as a selling point if they want to sell after getting a replacement.
Sky always come out with ideas for you to try and they're usually a waste of time.
My recommendation remains to follow the example of those 15 pages of posters.

If i've never used them so far don't think i will now as i didnt even know what they are for. I've had a read through other user posts so i think i'll ring them tomorrow. I would buy the replacement part but how do i know exactly what has gone. I could try holding the 2 buttons again to wipe it but then thats going to lose anything saved and like Martin said be better to reapir and keep them.

Not many people use the component but for those who do the Thomson is the only option.
It's the whole power supply unit that people replace.
Apparently it's easy to do once you've opened the machine, and if you're any good at soldering.
I certainly wouldn't do any more of Sky's ideas, especially if it meant losing recordings.
There's another Replacement thread about getting it so as to get the Anytime+ thing - check that out as well.

It's the whole power supply unit that people replace. Apparently it's easy to do once you've opened the machine, and if you're any good at soldering.

I can assure you that no soldering is required if you swap the PSU.

If you upgrade the PSU using a RELKIT then that's a different matter! It's cheaper but you will need to solder over a dozen parts.

= "swap the PSU".

If you do go the replacement way there only is the HD machine now, and they will replace yours, if you use a little Persistence as recommended in the threads on that very subject.

What is the benefits of having a HD box over the normal sky plus box if I'm not going to subscribe to sky HD, as i found the 80gb box was more than enough storage for my SD recordings? plus getting a sky hd box means me buying more remotes to for the other rooms.

A Sky+ remote will work a Sky+HD Digibox.
The Sky+HD Digibox supports single tuner mode.
The Sky+HD Digibox tends to be faster and provides some free HD channels.

ok thanks. What is single tuner mode? Are some boxes a better brand than others, ive seen amstrad and thompson

ok thanks. What is single tuner mode?

Take a guess. Imagine that you have a *single-output LNB* on your dish. :)

Are some boxes a better brand than others, ive seen amstrad and thompson

Yes, Pace is a better brand but they don't manufacture them any more. Nor do Thomson; they were excellent boxes, with component outputs, but plagued by power supply problems (easily fixed) and no longer updated so they don't support "Anytime".

So Amstrad is your "Hobson's choice" and they are now owned by Sky. They are "OK" but we are already seeing power supply problems, although not as prevalent as with Thomson. Some say that the picture quality isn't as good as other makes. Others seem happy with it.

I hate it when people ask me "which is better..?" or "which is the best...?"

It's an impossible question to answer. How do I know what they'll prefer? :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom