Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Thompson Sky + 160 Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kenfit, Jan 1, 2005.

1. kenfit

kenfit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this box which I understanf should give about 80 hours of recording time. I have about 5 hours of recordings on the hard drive but it shows as 53% free, I calculate should be about 93 % free. Can anyone enlighten me.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A lot depends on the programme content. Sky uses a "variable bit rate", so the amount of data transmitted depends a lot on how much movement is going on in a picture, because in digital TV only the changed parts of a picture are transmitted regularly. If you have a lot of sports or other material with fast action content, you could use more space than you think. The bar at the top of the menu should show how much space each programme is taking.

If you still think there is a problem, you may need to go to the "secret" Sky+ menu (hit Services, 4, 0, 1, Select on the remote), and choose "Sky+ Planner Rebuild". You are at risk of losing stored programmes, so do this at your own risk !

3. hawkrigg71

hawkrigg71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can i ask if your new thomson box has extra video outputs, i read an article somewhere that said that your box has composite, scart (RGB), component and DVI. Can you agree with that? and if so is the picture quality better running through component or DVI?? On your query, i would check how long you are recording for rewind, mine is set to 30 minutes automatic record and that takes about 10% of my 40Gb. Also as said above it depends on the quality of program. ie. movies with 5.1 DD will take alot and football matches and RRugby league matches takes Gb's.