Thompson HDD Issue / Replacement?

FM2021

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my Thompson STB (with component out). Almost everything on Anytime has sound dropouts every 5 seconds. With general planner records most are ok, but occassionally box will hang on playback. Watching TV live is generally OK except for bad weather.

I've already recently replaced the PSU with the Satcure capacitor kit. The box was upgraded with a 1TB approx 2 yrs ago. If it makes any difference I'm running the new EPG and have the mini screen turned off. I've also got the box set to 30min pause/rewind.

* Is the Anytime sound drop issue common or just me?
* Does this sound like a replacement HDD would help?
* Any recommendations on current replacement HDDs? Greener the better?
Thx

I'm having problems with my Thompson STB (with component out). Almost everything on Anytime has sound dropouts every 5 seconds. With general planner records most are ok, but occassionally box will hang on playback. Watching TV live is generally OK except for bad weather.

I've already recently replaced the PSU with the Satcure capacitor kit. The box was upgraded with a 1TB approx 2 yrs ago. If it makes any difference I'm running the new EPG and have the mini screen turned off. I've also got the box set to 30min pause/rewind.

* Is the Anytime sound drop issue common or just me?
* Does this sound like a replacement HDD would help?
* Any recommendations on current replacement HDDs? Greener the better?
Thx

There was a problem with drop outs on Anytime a couple of months ago but it was sorted.

Have you tried a forced software update & a planner re-build?

Tried Re-builds, but not sure that this makes any difference.
Just ordered a 1TB Western Digital WD10EVDS AV Green as a replacement (this one states that it's for PVRs and runs cool & quiet. Will test this out as an option, but seen another thread with same issues but not conclusive whether drive compatibility, heat, power demands, Anytime, etc. Will post back if successful.
BTW - How do I force a software update?
Cheers

Go into standby..........wait for HD disc to stop.

Switch off at plug.

While holding down BACKUP button on the top of the box, switch on again.

4 lights should come on on front of box and message on screen warning not to switch off while downloading. Release BACKUP !

Might take 10 minutes or more to complete.

Does this affect the existing items in the planner i.e. pre recorded programmes or settings for recording future programmes?

Thanks!

Rez

Does this affect the existing items in the planner i.e. pre recorded programmes or settings for recording future programmes?

Thanks!

Rez

No it won't do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom