Thompson DVI1000 freezing

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by David, Dec 8, 2004.

1. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Thompson freeview box but it constantly locks up and the only way to fix it is either take out and put back in the batteries on the remote or sometimes unplug it and wait a few seconds before re-connecting. Don't know if its overheating, it certainly runs very warm?

Is this an inherrent problem or could it be fixed with a software update? I've tried doing a manual software update but is says nothing newer than the version it has (2.1) is available.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    David

2. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

3. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound like a specific fault in your box. The model is long-standing, well-proven and has a decent reputation. In 20 months of ownership I have had to "power cycle" just twice, otherwise it has been 100% reliable.

I very much doubt a software update will be the answer unless you have a very early version? Have you tried to see if an update is available?

When you say it runs warm, how warm is that. Mine is gently warm (no more than a lot of lowish power consumer electronics). If it's uncomfortable to touch I'd say there's definitely a thermal problem.

How old is your box? If it's fairly new I'd take it back and try to exchange.

Good luck!

Roger

4. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. The box is about 18 months old now but has hardly been used until we got the plasma screen recently. It says no update available when I try the download, (which I assume is just through the arial, not the telephone socket?). It does run pretty warm but I can put my hand on it. I just remember reading on here when I bought it that they used to run hot and freeze sometimes.