This woman who got fined £50 for dropping a cigarette but

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pringtef, May 13, 2005.

1. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Time for an early morning rant!

This was absolutely great as far as I'm concerned!

Was listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 yesterday afternoon, and they were discussing this. The woman in question was on moaning that she didn't know about it, and there wasn't a bin. The most astounding part of the interview came when she said that she wasn't aware that dropped cigarette butts constituted litter.

There's often the comment made that "there aren't enough bins" as a basis for dropping the butts, but i find these comments very selfish. Previously, when i smoked, if I had finished a cigarette in the street, i would ensure it was put out by stamping on it, then pick it up again and hold onto it till i found a bin. This was an inconvenence, but something i carried out as a matter of responsibility.

From my experience at work a cigarette can easily last ten minutes.

The solution? When you go for your cigarette break, spend five minutes of the time heading towards a bin as you're smoking the thing!

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I with you on this one. It always amazes me how many cars don't have ashtrays these days so the butts get thrown out of the window. I have often wanted to throw it back in saying 'you dropped this'.

I was walking past an office block when my son was about four. A smoker lobbed his ciggie on the floor as we passed. I commented that it did not send good messages to my son about littering the streets. To his credit he picked it up, stubbed it out and put it in the bin - which was right there. Credit to the guy for responding but would he have done if he wasn't outside his office?

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, and these people are generally the first to complain aboutthe place being a mess...they mustn't have any pride at all...!

4. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    And gum........

6. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I went to our local out of town shopping centre at the weekend, and of course all the shops are non-smoking. The mess on the path outside the shops is disgusting - people stand outside the doors to get a last desperate fix before going into the shops and just dump their butts on the floor! The path was littered with dozens of butts. So not only do you have to endure the filfy stinking smoke screen as you go in and out of the shops, you have to look at the crap these junkies have dumped on the floor! :mad:

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Our company got fined as a number of employees were smoking outside the building (all our buildings are non-smoking) and there were a significant number of butts on the pavement arround the area they were smoking. I was surprised the fine was issued to the company and not to the individuals who were smoking.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,866
    I heard one council was trying to adding 1p on a packet of gum to cover the very expensive cost of removing the stuff of the pavements, good luck to them I hope all councils do the same. Look at most streets in town and they are spotted with the stuff. Especially not nice when folk walk on it and then tread it in a shops carpet. Also it could be a source of spreading infection.
    Personally I agree with the fine for the cig butt and maybe £100 for the chewing gum..

9. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every couple of years our town centre is steam cleaned to remove gum. It is shocking when you look down and see how much there is.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,866
    I bet there is not one paving stone in the vast majority of towns with out at least 1 piece of gum on it. Why do folk just use the wrapper they got it out of and bin it.
    It seems a modern trend to be as slovenly as possible and drag everything down to that level.

11. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,219
    It's a combination of NIMBYism and SEPism (Somebody Else's Problem). I have a burger wrapper in my hand - it's my problem. I drop a burger wrapper on the floor - Somebody Else's Problem.

Just like people who jump onto trains/buses/tubes before letting you get off, people who talk far too loudly into their mobile phones, school run drivers who live within a 10 minute walk of said school, etc, etc.

12. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know people that smoke and their not junkies! Thats quite a sweeping statement!

Its common courtesy thats the problem! People have no respect for there surroundings - Dropping litter, graffiti and all the other Billy bob antics that don't seem to bother that many people any more!

13. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ciggie butts aren't litter jeez & it's not worth a £50 fine

14. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lads that's nothing students from Cheethams school of music In Manchester city centre

Packed with posh kids, there's not that much litter half a mile a way on the council estates.

Attached Files:

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Could you explain for the benefit of Master Rahl that butts means something different over here otherwise he'll be on the next flight over.

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,068

Yes they are, and i believe the standard penalty for littering is £50. Don't see what the problem is myself, take your litter home, or put it in the bin, its not rocket science is it!

17. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    He'd be over even quicker if he had said fag butts :rolleyes:

18. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,587
    The last place I worked, one of my positions was Warehouse Manager. As the building was a no smoking building, people decided that standing AT the door to the warehouse (trying to find a way of saying "smoking at my back door, without actually saying it!! Hee hee hee!), was the place to go and smoke their cigarettes. Not only did I tolerate this, but I even provided them with 2 wall mounted large ashtrays. 2 weeks later I placed up signs that said "When the floor os full, please use the ashtrays provided"....

My boss made me take the signs down in case they offended anyone!!! I then refused to except the pallets of boxes of paper that would get delivered as I thought it wasn't safe that piles of paper should be taken through an area where cigerettes were left smouldering all over the place.

Within a month smoking had been banned to everywhere except the car park!!! Hoorah! (Us ex smokers are the worst eh!!!).

19. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I wanna seeless Butts ! :D

20. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Yes they are.

Yes it is.

21. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Smokers are addicted to a drug - hence are junkies in my mind. Perhaps they don't get involved in the more serious anti-social activities that other drug addicts do, but they're addiction does push them to do things that non-smokers find anti-social - e.g. dropping their fag ends on the pavement, stubbing their fags out on floors and carpets causing unsightly burn marks, forcing their habit on other people in pubs etc. :)

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    When I smoked , if I was outside I always put the butt down a drain. Always paranoid about starting a fire or some kiddie picking up a still burning butt.

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    This must be one of the daftest posts that I have read in a long time. An addiction to smoking does not "push people to drop their cigarette ends on floors and carpets" as that is down purely and simply to the mentality of the person himself.

I was a heavy smoker for many years and my addiction to the drug never once caused me to behave in the antisocial ways that you are attributing to smokers.

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The act of smoking itself is a pretty antisocial behaviour.