This will happen.. well ive started TV/Cinema room

avcar

Hi all
Ive started to renovate TV/Proposed Cinema room. basically its a shell at the moment it has a large patio door one end with a window to the left

AVF.jpg
[/URL]

as you can see its a long thin room, ideally i would like to add a drop down PJ sometime soon, and would like to mount it near the RSJ highlighted in brown. At the moment i have a Panny G20 50" Plasma its too small i think for this room, however Mrs says we are not getting a new TV.
I'm trying to pre-wire (bury the cabling) to give a very neat look.

I will need to get a decent AV cabinet for the TV to sit on and plenty of room to house AV equipment in am also looking at changing the lighting also.

So far the walls have been stripped back to plaster, added some power sockets and recessed 32mm pipe in the wall fto floor above for future cables to PJ and speakers for 5.1
any ideas please?

thank you
edit: ignore the 2 doors opening the same way i couldnt find a way to swap it round.

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Don't 'bury' cables - you never know when you need to update or even replace a damaged cable.

Design in cable ways which give you the flexibility to replace if required.

Joe

avcar

Thanks for your reply Joe, apologies i should have been a bit clearer burying the cable in the 32mm plastic pipe which is channeled into the wall i will post some pictures of the actual room

Herbiefish

Don't 'bury' cables - you never know when you need to update or even replace a damaged cable.

Design in cable ways which give you the flexibility to replace if required.

Joe
Sorry to hijack op.

Joe, what would be the easiest method of pulling out and putting in new cables. In there a specific device to buy?

Cheers

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I guess for most folk a roll of electrical tape does the trick – we use these, http://www.lsdinc.com/installation/7313/Pull-Sleeves---Pull-Socks-Intro

How well you have planned out the cable ways will determine how simple a job it is to extract the old cable!

If you hit a problem the best option may be to call in an experienced cable installer.

Joe

avcar

back to my post, here are the pictures as promised.
P1050609.jpg

P1050611.jpg

P1050613.jpg

here is a close up of the cable management ducting i will use for speaker to the rear surrounds ( to the other end of the room) and in future for HDMI to PJ.

P1050612.jpg

avcar

next thing i need to focus on is trying to sound deaden the ceiling 1 part the room near the TV end. Im looking for solutions ive heard of this Green Glue stuff? i assume i still need to use screws for the plasterboard? what kind of plasterboard would i need?

i quite like the look of these floating coloured LEDs any further ideas on this?

SanjK

Standard Member
Hi mate. Sorry about not replying earlier. Life is a bit mad and haven't been on here for a bit.

Plasterboard...

Soundshield by Knauff from Wickes or SoundBloc by Gyproc from B&Q.

The boards are blue and denser and heavier than the standard plasterboard.

I believe you can get the SoundBloc ones in smaller sizes, hence more manageable.

They still need to be screwed into the joists. The green glue acts as a sandwich filling. Takes time to cure... About three months IIRC before you'll get best performance.

Check out the Green Glue website for more info or do a search for my posts here. I did post a bunch of info about it a while back.

Last edited:

SanjK

Standard Member
To clarify - leave the old ceiling in place and overboard with the new plasterboard. The Green Glue is the filling between the old ceiling and the new.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom