This whole DROIDS recognising fiasco

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by stewarthollyhead, May 21, 2002.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of people on various forums have gone on about why the droids arent recognised by Uncle Own and Obi Wan in episode 4 and why the doirds dont remember them.

Well...

DROIDS NOT RECOGNISING PEOPLE
    a) R2-D2 seems to know exactly whats going on in the new hope. He knows who Obi Wan ism he knows where he lives.
    b) R2-D2 repeatdely doesnt tell c3po anything in all 3 of the original trilogy. He gives him snippets of info but you definately get the feeling he isnt telling old golden rod everything. c3po also complains about being the last to know anything repeatedly.

PEOLE NOT RECOGNISING DROIDS
    a) As for Owen and OB1 not recognizing 3pio and R2. Owen is young in episode 2 and doesnt seem to talk to either the droids directly.
    b) OB1 doesnt meet c3po till episode 2 and even then it only briefly.
    c) there are thousands of r2 and c3po units in the star wars universe. You saw one c3po in episode 1, one in Empire. There arealso loads of r2 or r4 units.
    c) in episode 2 c3po has a dirty silver casing. In episode 4, Owen is in his 50's and hasn't seem the droids for ages. So when a shiny golden droid is bought by him, he isn't likely to remember it?

So i would suggest:
    a) only c3po gets his memory wiped
    b) r2 remembers everything and only tells c3po certain things

Only problem: OB1 should remember r2. BUT he isnt exactly revealing everything to anyone in episode 4. As he tells luke his dads dead etc etc etc...

DISCUSS..

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    As ive said in another thread I bet C3PO has his memory wiped. In episode II his head gets knocked off... so who knows once George has come to his senses or some one points these holes out to him he may take the easy route. I only hope he realises in time. Not gona loose any sleep over it though.

3. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I wouldn't mind betting that George has got it covered.

Things that rise up from a clouded memory:
    In Episode IV, doesn't C3PO talk about their previous owner being called 'Antilles'? This may only be in the novel (which I read a long, long time ago...), but it was written by GL.

In Episode IV R2D2 claims to belong to Obi-Wan, but he doesn't 'recall owning any droids' (or something like that).

Can it really just be coincidence that Leia sends R2 on a mission to Obi-Wan, or is there going to be a nice little tie-up? I hope so. I get w warm feeling when things like this are finished off neatly.

I know. I'm sad.

4. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Surely it is not inconceivable that the droids get their memories wiped to protect the knowledge of the twins?

I agree with the previous post about Obi-Wan though, we already know him to be quite particuar about the truths that he reveals and the methods in which he does.

As far as we know at the moment, the last time Owne Lars saw 3PO, he looks quite different to the next time he sees him. It might aslo be worth watching the original trilogy once more and seeing where Owen actually here's 3PO's designation. I am pretty sure he doesn't here it at all in the film, as 3PO spends all his time with Luke after the initial sale.

Owen does here 3PO's designation in the novel of StarWars but somewhere in the books it also states that Owen Lars is Obi-Wans brother. At starwars.com recently, someone asked the question:
    Q. Is Obi-Wan Kenobi the brother of Owen Lars?
    A. No. The two are from separate families with no connection through blood. Although a number of spin-off materials were published in 1983 and in subsequent years stating that the two characters were related, those materials were based on outdated and eventually discarded information.

So I guess the only thing we can reference to answer questions are the movies and not any books. I also wouldn't put it past Lucas to make changes in the original trilogy to clear up any remaining plot holes!

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    As discussed elsewhere, it seems that that Natalie Portman is to shoot a couple of scenes which Lucas is going to insert into ROTJ DVD.

It's all part of the 'special, special editions' he's going to release on DVD when he eventualy gets round to it.

Not sure where we'll see her though - if it's true that is... so he's not incapable of further changing the original trilogy to tie things together more.

Gary.

6. eros

eros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Empire magazine GL has confirmed that the droids memories will be wiped at some point in Ep III.

7. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    In "Clones", when C3PO said to Anankin, saomething like, "I have a message from an Obi Wan Kenobi. Does this name mean anything to you?". It was as if 3PO didn't know who Obi Wan was. Didn't they meet in "Phantom Menace" and how comes the droid didn't remember him. He remembered Padme when she + Anakin came to tatooine, so he should've remembered Obi Wan too.

8. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    C3PO never met Obi Wan Kenobi in the Phantom Menace as Obi-Wan stayed on the ship whilst Qui-Gon, Padme etc went looking for parts, then they met Anakin and later C3PO at Anakins house.

9. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You're right...I got mixed up...it was Qui Gon who met 3PO on Tatooine