This waiter is rubbish

roll1later

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm in nice and early this month with this one, first time trying a shot like this and it didn't come out as good as I wanted but better than I expected if that makes sense :)

Nice idea. I just really wish it was on white instead of black. Black sucks out way too much detail from the liquid. Other than that, surely fits the theme and a nice entry!

Need to come back to this one think..... I suspect that M's right about that background though....

Thanks M, I went with the black background as I thought it gave a better contrast between the red wine than a white one did, I wonder if I had done it with a white one if someone would of said it would of looked better with a black one :confused::)

There is one on Flickr with a lighter background, all be it not white but blue, and I can see what you are saying :smashin:

Last edited:
The lighter background on Flickr is definitely better IMO and I'd guess it would improve further the lighter you made the background.

Jim

Good effort but i'm not keen on the effect I'm afraid, looks like it's been fired in under high pressure rather than poured and splashing if that makes sense? 3520 and 3512 on flickr look better to me.

Good effort though :smashin:

Similar to something I tried a few years ago. I have to agree about the black background, but good job trying something new :smashin:

Similar to something I tried soooooo much more successfully a few years ago :devil: . I have to agree about the black background, but good job trying something new :smashin:

:eek: :nono: no need to rub it in Daren :devil:

Good effort but i'm not keen on the effect I'm afraid, looks like it's been fired in under high pressure (like Jim drinking it) rather than poured and splashing if that makes sense? 3520 and 3512 on flickr look better to me.

Good effort though :smashin:

:eek: :mad:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thanks @BubbleDouble for the link, I didn't know it was ok to link to better pics in someone's comp thread but I agree with Jim they are "soooooo" much better than my effort. What lighting set up did you use?

I'm not sure those linked photos are all that much "better" than yours, tbh. Just they are on a lighter background and the liquid is poured differently. Also, I wonder if you used longer shutter speed because there seems to be more movement. Different. Not better.

The shutter speed wasn't as quick as I would of liked, I wanted to freeze the action more but when I tried to speed it up I just got a very dark image on the camera screen, it wasn't till I processed the RAW's that I wished I hadn't deleted them as I may of been able to recover something, another lesson learned.

I asked about the lighting set up as I think that may of been a factor as to why I couldn't get it quick enough, the only light I had was the natural light through the window and a 100 watt frosted bulb, here's the set up which I don't think was ideal, maybe :blush:

Yahoo - login

ah, yes.. lighting is quite important in fast speed photography :) Natural light barely ever works, unless it's bright sunlight and you're shooting outside. That would explain it. Plus the black background sucks the light in anyway and doesn't reflect it back to help you with the shutter speed. Lessons learned :) Better next time!

Thanks M that's good to know, I've been following the lighting equipment posts in another thread and with birthday and Xmas looming I've a good idea what to spend my pennies on.

Thanks again all the help is much appreciated :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thanks @BubbleDouble for the link, I didn't know it was ok to link to better pics in someone's comp thread but I agree with Jim they are "soooooo" much better than my effort. What lighting set up did you use?

Links are OK - in-line photos are not :)

JIm

Not better, just different. My intention was just to show you my efforts, since this was your first attempt and I thought it might be helpful for future efforts. I used a single flash, off-camera, underneath the table, pointing at the white foamboard background, so I guess it's kind of backlit. No idea if my setup was right or wrong, I just winged it, but liked the results.

No might about it BD I liked them, thanks for the lighting info as well, so it seems you don't need a whole lot of lighting to make a big difference which is good to know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom