This surely has to be the most idiotic thing .... isnt it?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
92-year-old refused sale of alcohol - Unexplained Mysteries
"A 92-year-old was refused a bottle of whisky because she couldn't produce proof that she was over 18.

Despite showing her over-60s bus pass, an OAP card and a pacemaker certificate Diane Taylor was still refused sale of the drink at a local store in Essex because she didn't have a driving license or passport. "I don't see how anyone could look at me and think I needed to prove my age," she said. A spokesman for the store maintained that the policy was necessary for legal reasons."
Her son ,who is seventy ,went in later and got the same treatment:confused: Apparently it was at a One stop shop which are owned by Tesco.We have one of those in our village and I certainly never had that BS thrown at me.:confused:

as i understand it the store in question had problems with selling to under age customers.so as not to lose their alcohol license they agreed to ask for proof of age id to every customer wanting to buy booze regardless of how old they looked.

listen to interview here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00lkzz1

Last edited:
In the US a bar or shop owner can be sued if they don't ask for photo ID, I saw an elderly couple in their 70's at a bar in Philadelphia Airport get checked just in case they injured themselves after a drink and threatened the bar owner with a law-suit.....according to the bar-tender anyway

Quite the opposite of the One Stop here, they will quite happily sell alcohol to someone that's 16.

didn't have a driving license or passport
That's the point - this idiotic policy which is widespread, including especially banks, that anyone who wants to do any form of business must first HAVE a driving licence and passport and second be prepared to carry them around and use them for this purpose which is totally separate and distinct from what they are meant for.
I absolutely refuse to use them for the purpose and tell the suppliers that if they want business they can drop such nonsense. Recently some banks have started to refuse to do business with people who won't do so by mobile telephone. They say it's for security but what could be less secure than a mobile telephone?

I like the way a lot of financial institutions let you use an electricity bill as a proof of ID. Sadly, all you need to do is phone MPAS, tell them you've moved in to a property but nobody can give you the supply number so you can join the supplier of choice, they'll give you the MPAN number, then all you need to do is sign up with a supplier for that address giving bogus details and bingo, within a month you've got an invoice you can use....it will take longer than that for the previous supplier and their customer to sort out regaining the supply in most cases.

So much for proof of ID...

A 92-year-old was refused a bottle of whisky because she couldn't produce proof that she was over 18.

... and a pacemaker certificate

Quite right to. As I understand it, if you have a serious heart condition, then you shouldn't be drinking spirits anyway. The French doctors are very firm about it. A couple of glasses of wine (max!) if the condition isn't too serious but none if it is.

They were only looking after the poor old girl's health.:thumbsup:

If they had been prosecuted for selling to underage persons then they may have to ask all persons buying alcohol for id, regardless of age, as a condition for keeping their alcohol license, so no, not the most idiotic thing.

Had a similar issue some time back so showed by personal license to sell achohol and was told that was not good enough!

If you have a personal license then you should have known that that would not have been accepted. Driving License, Passport or id card with holographic "Pass" symbol on it are only acceptable forms of id.

Quite right to. As I understand it, if you have a serious heart condition, then you shouldn't be drinking spirits anyway.

Doesn't mean she can't buy spirits though :p

If they had been prosecuted for selling to underage persons then they may have to ask all persons buying alcohol for id, regardless of age, as a condition for keeping their alcohol license, so no, not the most idiotic thing.

Surely though, on occasions like this where you have an elderly customer who has no valid form of ID you make an exception as it's obvious that they are of legal age... a bit of common sense should surely see you right there.

Quite right to. As I understand it, if you have a serious heart condition, then you shouldn't be drinking spirits anyway. The French doctors are very firm about it. A couple of glasses of wine (max!) if the condition isn't too serious but none if it is.

They were only looking after the poor old girl's health.:thumbsup:

She's 92!! Where's the harm in a tot of whisky at that age.:facepalm:

Yes, an idiotic thing. The no brainer that works there has been told to check for ID to make sure they don't sell to under 18s. They are clearly incapable of thinking for themselves so they ask a 92 yr old. It is just stupidity. I understand that there are rules, but what happened to common sense? I wouldn't want somebody like that working for me.

To the people that say she shouldn't have been drinking anyway, firstly it might not have been for her, secondly it's up to her what she does.

Yes, an idiotic thing. The no brainer that works there has been told to check for ID to make sure they don't sell to under 18s. They are clearly incapable of thinking for themselves so they ask a 92 yr old. It is just stupidity. I understand that there are rules, but what happened to common sense? I wouldn't want somebody like that working for me.

It is stupid, but....

A spokesman for One Stop Shop said the store had to enforce a strict 'no ID, no sale' policy or risk losing their licence.

He said: "Although we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused, staff at the store are required to ask all customers for ID as a condition of its licence to sell alcohol."

Read more: Shop staff refuse to sell whisky to great-grandmother, 92, because she couldn't prove she was over 18 | Mail Online

Surely though, on occasions like this where you have an elderly customer who has no valid form of ID you make an exception as it's obvious that they are of legal age... a bit of common sense should surely see you right there.

They didn't refuse her because they thought she was underage, they refused her because she did not have valid id which was a condition of them keeping their license.No such thing as common sense or exceptions allowed when it comes to underage sales. If they had this condition on their license, then who is to say that trading standards didn't send her in to check they were enforcing it? Fairly unlikely I know but not impossible. Losing their alcohol license would cost them a lot of money, so if they have to upset a few people then so be it.

Knock ID cards if you like but that's one thing they're good for.

Why is it stupid?

It is a condition of their license to ask everyone for valid id, regardless of age. If somebody like that worked for you then you would be lucky as she might prevent you having a criminal record, ÂŁ5000 fine and the loss of your alcohol license. To call her a no brainer is an insult to someone doing a thankless job, one I wouldn't do for minimum wage.

Why is it stupid?

It is a condition of their license to ask everyone for valid id, regardless of age. If somebody like that worked for you then you would be lucky as she might prevent you having a criminal record, ÂŁ5000 fine and the loss of your alcohol license. To call her a no brainer is an insult to someone doing a thankless job, one I wouldn't do for minimum wage.

I don't have a driving license or a passport either. And I'm certainly not carrying my full birth certificate wherever I go either.

If you have a personal license then you should have known that that would not have been accepted. Driving License, Passport or id card with holographic "Pass" symbol on it are only acceptable forms of id.

That's me stuffed as I don't have any of these.:thumbsdow

Anyone who feels they need a PASS card (Proof Of Age Standards Scheme) see here;

PASS :: The National Proof of Age Standards Scheme

So hold on a minute what is the purpose of this ID check? Do they have a database of people they aren't allowed to serve? Do they keep a record of each customer? Or is it purely to check their age? There is no purpose to this check other than age as no details are taken, so I stand by my earlier comment.

I don't have a driving license or a passport either. And I'm certainly not carrying my full birth certificate wherever I go either.

Just as well, that is not a valid form of id, doesn't have your picture on it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom