1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this should be so easy, but.......

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gazz, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry guys,

I've rejoined my battle with the box and all I'm trying to do is install a GeForce2 card.
    Problem is, I go in, disable and uninstall the existing video drivers (the video card is integrated with the mb) but when the pc restarts it immediately reinstalls the default intel video driver.
    I uninstall/disable it again, slot the new card in and restart, but again it locates the intel driver and somehow sees the new card and the old "card", gets itself in a knot and freezes up.

There must be an easy way round this but I'm afraid I have to call on your collective knowledge (if that's ok) as I've spent approx 10 hours trying this and my doting other half is unimpessed with my efforts to bring Hollywood home thus far.

any info greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with undying adulation/unending beers/invites to movie parties

apologs for my ineptitude - I've never tried any of this before......

2. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Two questions

1. Is the GeForce card you're trying to add AGP or PCI?

2. What version of Windows?

There ought to be an option in the BIOS to disable the onboard graphics card. Probably hidden in some obscure submenu of the BIOS setup screen. This option certainly existed on an MSI motherboard I had with an Intel 815 chipset that had on board graphics and an AGP expansion slot

If you're adding a PCI graphics card then disabling the onboard graphics shouldn't be necessary, but there should still be an option to determine which card is the primary. On my Asus Terminator its a simple PCI/AGP toggle option in the BIOS.

Just seen in your other thread that its XP. In which case XP supports two graphics cards as longs as one is AGP and one is PCI. the fact that yours is hanging suggests the onboard is AGP and the one your adding is AGP also. In which case start looking for that BIOS option to turn the onboard one off. Should be somewhere!

3. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enter the BIOS on bootup (by pressing Del or whatever) and see if you can disable the onboard graphics card either directly (setting disable onboard graphics to yes or enable onboard graphics to no etc.) or indirectly (changing primary graphics adaptor from AGP to PCI if the onboard graphics card is AGP and you're mb only has PCI slots.

4. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well guys - tried again last night in two ways
    1. disable original video device but don't uninstall it
    2. disable original video device and uninstall it
    Plugged the new card in, connected the monitor, fired it up and every time within 5 secs and 1min of getting the desktop on screen, it froze then rebooted itself with a nice XP "serious error recovery" message

I'm told by PC World that if a picture appears at all on the new video card before any drver modification, then there is no need to disable the old video device or drivers - any validity in this?

Is it possible my 215 watt PSU isn't up to driving the card? (That's why I had to come down from a GeForce4 which apparently needs a 350 watt supply)

Also - tried to change the default in the BIOS (assuming this is what Packard Bell refer to as a CMOS setup), but on hitting F2 on the startup screen I was prompted for a password, and it wouldn't take any password I've used on any part of the machine before - failure again.

I can only think of a few options.
    1. Restore the pc to it's factory settings and start again with fingers crossed
    2. get an uprated PSU
    3. get someone who knows more than me to have a look at it.

Any opinions anyone has are greatly appreciated. I'm not in the slightest averse to "having a bash", I just probably need gentle guidance

Thanks guys - you keep me sane(ish)

Gazz

5. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gazz,

You need to listen to what people are telling you to do!!

Almost certainly your problem lies within the BIOS. You need to disable the onboard graphics card.

If you can't get into the BIOS because you have it locked with a password then you need to clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS settings. This is usually done by shorting two pins on your motherboard with a jumper for a few seconds.

Read your motherboard book to locate the CMOS pins. Once this is cleared you should be able to get into your BIOS without a password. Once in find the screen with the onboard graphics settings and disable it.

This should then stop the conflict of the graphics cards trying to access the same AGP controller.

If your graphics card is PCI then you should be able to install both at the same time.

215 watts?

Never heard of a pc power supply that low. What spec machine is it??? a 486?? :)

Your power supply should be at least 250 and ideally 300 watts.

Daz

6. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well guys - tried again last night in two ways
    1. disable original video device but don't uninstall it
    2. disable original video device and uninstall it
    Plugged the new card in, connected the monitor, fired it up and every time within 5 secs and 1min of getting the desktop on screen, it froze then rebooted itself with a nice XP "serious error recovery" message

I'm told by PC World that if a picture appears at all on the new video card before any drver modification, then there is no need to disable the old video device or drivers - any validity in this?

Is it possible my 215 watt PSU isn't up to driving the card? (That's why I had to come down from a GeForce4 which apparently needs a 350 watt supply)

Also - tried to change the default in the BIOS (assuming this is what Packard Bell refer to as a CMOS setup), but on hitting F2 on the startup screen I was prompted for a password, and it wouldn't take any password I've used on any part of the machine before - failure again.

I can only think of a few options.
    1. Restore the pc to it's factory settings and start again with fingers crossed
    2. get an uprated PSU
    3. get someone who knows more than me to have a look at it.

Any opinions anyone has are greatly appreciated. I'm not in the slightest averse to "having a bash", I just probably need gentle guidance

Thanks guys - you keep me sane(ish)

Gazz

7. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry - inadvertantly posted the same reply again
    Apologs

8. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If the card you're adding is an AGP card then its never going to work unless you can get into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics card.

This web site seems to suggest a password of bell9 may act as a back door on some Packard Bells

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm

If there's any other reference you can give us, identifying numbers on the motherboard, PC model number etc we may be able to find a work around

Have you got a motherbaord manual that shows what jumper setting you should use to clear the CMOS? That will certainly clear the password. I assume that's what you meant by "restore to factory settings"?

We're trying to keep you sane....

9. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Daz - useful info
    Perhaps the trouble is, I listened to what the people at PC World told me (ie no need to disable the onboard graphics)
    Just called them again and they tried to tell me to phone Microsoft about the password protected BIOS (!!) but I forced my way through to the tecky guy who told me to try password "0724" (which is their store number). I needed this as there was no motherboard info with the pc when I bought it from them to find out which pins to short.

And yep, the label on the PSU says 215w - The rest of the spec seems OK (256mb RAM, 20 gb HD, 1.3 celeron processor). Have I possibly in my ignorance bought a lemon?

I'll try the password tonight and may treat myself to a chunkier PSU based on your above advice (another silly question - are they quite easily interchangeable? - I'm learning more from you guys all the time and appreciate the assistance given to newbies like myself).

Thx
    Gazz

10. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't tell you how much I appreciate this help -
    I'll try the suggestions when I get home tonight and also relay the serial and id numbers
    The card I'm installing is a PCI - no AGP slot (bigger lemon than I thought?)

keep the collective forum fingers crossed for me....who knows - if it works I might not need try and wrestle a new PSU into the box

Gazz

11. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tryed leaving the inbuilt video installed and active when you install the video card.It could be that it is finding both sets of video hardware at the same time and getting a bit confused

Try leaving it setup banging in the new vid card installing it then you could set that as you primary out in video settings . That way you would have a spair out for another monitor or if you ever get a projector it would be rather handy

12. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tryed leaving the inbuilt video installed and active when you install the video card.It could be that it is finding both sets of video hardware at the same time and getting a bit confused

Try leaving it setup banging in the new vid card installing it then you could set that as you primary out in video settings . That way you would have a spair out for another monitor or if you ever get a projector it would be rather handy

Try looking at the windows help and support under "hardware - monitors - multiple monitors " it gives information on how to do this . As has been said the only way you are gona be able to setup the geforce on it's own is to get into the bios and disable the inbuilt video .You need to be able to get into the bios anyway there are other things that you ay need to get into there for in the future .

If you ask me a company that sells a pc with the bios password locked is not the sort of company i would like to buy from . It sounds to me like it was done on purpose so you would have to go to them for upgrade .You can't lock it by accident

13. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can see the bios type...award/phoenix...whatever...then do a search for bios backdoor passwords....you'll find plenty.....just try one until you strike lucky....if you cant see the bios make cause the packard bell boot screen gets in the way try pressing F1/F2 etc whilst its booting....it might even be tab on a Packard.....that'll let you see the load screen...come to that the bios manufacturer prolly has his name on the chip!
    Tell PCW to take a hike:)

14. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, after a lot of trying various things I called up a mate who wanted a basic-ish pc for his kids and thankfully he bought tha packard.
    So.....back off to PCW (with dark warnings to them about selling PCs with locked passwords as per your collective comments) and ended up spending about £200 extra an an Advent 2Gig P4 with seperate DVD and CDRW drives AND a GeForce 4 card already installed in the AGP slot (sneaky, huh?). This means I can now take my Ge Force 2 card back to where I bought it thus recouping another £80.
    It's a bit noisier than the other one, but it's gonna go in a (ventilated) cabinet which should deaden it a bit.

So......back to the installation work this morning.
    WinTV/FM - straight in - installation, drivers, setup - the lot in about 15 mins!!

Fortissimo II sound card - again, straight in - seem to be having a bit of trouble getting the WinTV sound out of it though. The line out of the Win TV is OK as I can feed that sraight into an amp and it's OK - must be some setup for the line in of the soundcard that needs tweaking.

Next up is downloading Powerstrip and DScaler onto the box and we should be ready for a PJ test (and some more tweaks).

Quick question to WinTV experts - full screen mode appears to change the PCs resolution to 640 x 480. Obviously to run an XGA proj I need it to output at 1024 x 768. However, on WinTV, if I uncheck the change resolution check box I can't get the application running full screen.
    Is this something that DScaler sorts out or is there some cunning trick?

I feel I've made some "progressive" steps (boom-boom!)

Gazz