This optimum viewing distance to see a difference between SD and HD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by curveball, Feb 8, 2009.

1. curveball

curveball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a 42" plasma, I have Sky HD.

Now I have seen countless threads on this site saying that, with the size of TV I have, the optimium viewing distance is 8 feet.

I have also read that anything past this and I will struggle to see the difference between SD and HD.

If that is the case please answer this:

I am currently watching the West Ham v Man Utd game from the very rear of my lounge - making me about 16 feet from my 42" TV. When I watch the game on SD then switch to HD there is still a significant improvement - for me that dispells the theory and it really is a myth.

Any thoughts?

2. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Sport is one of the most difficult things to get right in terms of broadcasting, and is also one of the areas most people see significant improvement between HD.

From that distance, comparing a good DVD transfer with a good BD transfer wouldn't necessarily show such a difference. Of course, it depends on the material involved and your own eyes ;).

3. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    i think the same, i can see a difference if i can see the picture. The difference between SD and HD is huge, the difference between 720p and 1080p is less obvious but it's still there. The thing is that some people just regurgitate (spelling?) what they read and there's a lot of rubbish on the internet

4. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I know what you mean.I could easily see the difference between SD and HD from 10 feet or more on my old 32" LCD.
    However, although the picture will look quite a bit sharper, I think that most of the extra detail of HD will be lost at such distances.

5. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    pot-kettle-black.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

Depends how good the SD is, give SD a really hi bit rate and it can look stunning, compare that with poor HD and it isn't to clear cut.

However, I do believe that you can always tell a 1080p vs a 720p screen from any distance, or you would have to be a ridiculous distance to not be able to tell which was which.
    That is as long as both screens are equal in every other regard than resolution.

But....if you have not got a 1080 screen sat there I don't think you would ever feel you are missing out on resolution/detail with a 720 screen and that is an important point.

7. uhal

uhal
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Interesting as recent thread in Sky HD section had many replys stating you can see a big difference even on a 42 inch 720 p set ???

Interesting because im toying with said set and getting sky !

yours,

Steve

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Yeah you can, and you can see a big difference on a 480p set between average SD and HD.

What I am saying though is don't believe the people that tell you that you won't be able to tell a 720p and a 1080p version of a screen when being fed HD, they are talking rubbish. All this nonsense about getting passed 6ft away and you can't tell is exactly that, nonsense.

9. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    it depends on the size of the set, on a 1080p 32" set you have to be really close to see a noticeable difference (under 5 feet or so). There is a difference but your eyes cant register it, put it on a bigger set and it's clearer.

10. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Actually many people's eyes can register it, the definition of normal eye sight is only a benchmark set at 20ft from the eye chart, although 20/20 is considered the norm many have 20/15 and 20/10 vision, indeed most peoples vision dosn't drop off below 20/20 until old age. To state that 'your eyes can't register it' is an ignorant statement, it all depends on the person.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  11. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Ok then.... hand on heart... who can tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p!! (on ANY size screen, from ANY distance!!) I certainly can't (not exactly 20:20 though admittedly) cos this is what all those oh-so-knowledgeable Comet and Currys staff thrive on!....i'm fed up with seeing FULL HD and big 1080P stickers all over the TV's!!

:suicide:

12. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    like I said all depends on the person, don't make the mistake of assuming because you can't see the difference (with your admitted below average eye sight) that others can't.

While for many 32" 1080p may be a waste, some can appreciate it.

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

I have never seen a 1080i and 1080p screen side by side to compare.
    Have you???

14. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    You'll never tell the difference unless you put them side by side unless either you're a complete expert on the matter or you have a massive screen. Although some people don't like 1080i, they say 720p is better, and I can see why but most people won't be able to tell the difference on smaller sets.

And what's peoples 20/20 vision got to do with whether they recognize the difference or not? I know some people do see a difference (I see a difference from 1.5 metres or so away between 720p and 1080p on 32") but a lot of people who do see a difference only see a difference if they have the two resolutions side by side, even then some people don't know

15. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I've seen 1024x768 televisions next to 1920x1080 televisions and the former has looked better.

I've seen other 1920x1080 televisions next to other 1024x768 and the former has looked better.

16. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Nothing, apart from the fact its a measure of the eye's ability to resolve visual information, like the kind we're looking at when we watch TV...

You think everybody magically sees everthing the same at 5ft from the TV. Your blanket statement has no basis in fact or logic.

Okay i'll make it easy for you using your figure. If you for example with 20/20 vision cannot see the difference between 720p & 1080p @5ft then someone with 20/15 vision will have to sit at say 8ft before 720p & 1080p look the same, for them 1080p at 5ft while watching hi-def is a better option. These are in no way accurate figures but rather to illustrate to you why generalised statements don't work.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  17. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    What? It's not necessarily a question of people's vision, it is to an extent but it's just as much to do with people's criticality when it comes to percieving details, show two different people with the same eyesight the same material in 720p and 1080p on the same 2 TVs etc... and one may say that they can see a difference between the two, the other may not. Or, both may say that they can or not.

As much as what you said is true it's just as much to do with the above and of that particular persons attention to detail.

And yellowsphere; what you said is exactly right, the actual PQ of the picture depends more on other factors than on the resolution, resolution only provides detail, not enhanced PQ itself. If one set has poor black/white levels, motion smearing, poor colour reproduction etc...then the resolutions advantage is lost completely, that's why people should always ensure that a 1080p set does do everything else instead of falling in the other areas.

18. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sure, the only problem with going down that route is that your figure of 5ft for a 32" TV displaying 1080p goes out the window as you can't quantify in a discussion with someone you've never met how they may or may not perceive something. For many SD is as good as HD, what does that prove?

19. uhal

uhal
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thats fair enough but can you tel me whether it going to snow on tuesday as Molly wants to make angels in the park.

thanks

steve

20. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    What? :confused: ...:D

Well, I can tell you that it might snow on monday night and Molly (who is actually my sister) may be able to make angels

21. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes it will, although depending where you live you may have to travel to reach said snow (you didn't specify your location).

22. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Well since 1080i has to be turned into something else to be displayed, it all depends what content it was, what was done to it, and what it ends up as, so the question doesn't really make sense.

23. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    haha! all true...but then again, that could be said for all questions regarding HD

24. -Ad-

-Ad-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    :thumbsup:

It's like when I saw a kuro lx508 vs 508xd at TLC to do a 'Is 1080p worth it' test.

All in all, took me 10mins playing with blu-rays, and finally a perfectly static picture to see some finer hair detail and face detail on casper van dien in starship troopers. Otherwise hardly any difference. That's the reason I tell people that when watching a blu-ray from a normal distance, the difference between 1080p and 768p is soo small that many people probably wouldn't be able to tell in a demo like I had. But there are still those that harp on about 1080p, especially for HD console games, when most of the games are native 720p or less anyway :rolleyes::rotfl:

People on the net gharp on about how much difference there is with 1080p as they have a 1080p set, but have never compared 2 nigh on identical sets where the resolution is the only real difference. The internet might be a wealth of information, but there is also a lot of BS out here :)

25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

That wasn't my point, my point was just about every screen out there when it comes to flat panels are progressive displays, so whether you feed it 1080i or 1080p what you are seeing on screen is 1080p.
    So the example of people not being able to see the difference is pretty usless.

Use a 9" CRT projector (which can show an interlaced image and does not convert it to progressive) to show 1080i vs 1080p and even with a small 42" screen you will easily see a difference.

26. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    At 5ft from a 32" 1024x720p screen i can see the pixels, no joke. When i'm making my point about eye sight thats what i'm going on about.

27. Basset

Basset

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As soon as a picture gets moving, all resolution theory's go out the door.

The eye (or mind) cannot see much what's left of the resolution.

At that point, the further your away from the telly, the less likely you'll be able to make out which has the highest resolution.

Resolution is only a small part of the total quality of an image.
    If you have a 1080 image with compression artefacts, I'd prefer 720 or even 576 over 1080.

28. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    I think OP is confusing between SD / HD and HD Ready / Full HD.

The general idea is that on a 42" screen, once you go past 8 feet you cannot see a difference between a HD Ready and a Full HD screen when watching HD content.

29. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Except most of the content in a movie is made up of these annoying people called actors saying their lines while not moving very fast at all, infact most of the time the only movement is their mouths. And when your watching an 'action' scene a lot of it goes into slow-mo anyway...

Nice theory, not really borne out though.

30. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How long is a piece of string? :rolleyes: