This might be a dumb question but.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Glenn Keen, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Do I HAVE to have a HD set to use the new SKY HD box?

The reason I ask is that I'm moving to a new house and will finaly have room for a projector. I'm going to get one that can do HD but that will be a month or so after I have moved in.

MY plan is to get SKY HD for my main room downstairs and use my current SKY+ box upstairs as the 2nd box in a Multi-room setup.

So until my projector arrives I will only have my none-HD 42" Panny plasma downstairs.

So my question is will I be able to view the normal none-HD chanels on Sky from the Sky-HD box on my plasma?

And will Sky demand I have a HD device on site when they come to set up the dish & box?

Thanks for any Info.

2. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I believe so. You just won't get the benefit of the HD quality until you do get a new pj.

3. leeclissett

leeclissett
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Obviously nobody can be 100% sure but i'm 99% sure that you'll be okay! I know Sky have been testing simulcasting HD and SD content so with a possible exception of the movie channels you'll be able to watching anything showing in HD in SD if you so choose.

Also, the box will have no problems showing SD channels on your SD TV.

Finally, i doubt Sky will care if you have a HD device or not! So long as you pay them your money they wont care.

Some advice, if possible get a HD plasma or LCD for your general viewing and save the projector for movies and big sports events. I found watching anything but the best quality HD on a projector to be imposible.

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    You will be able to use the Sky HD box connected to an SD television just using the standard scart or s-video connections, but why pay for a Sky HD box and the service now when you won't be able to use, don't you think this is a waste of money. When are you planning to get your pj anyway, as the service hasn't been launched yet isn't this a bit irrelevent anyway.

5. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the info.

Yes I WOULD love to put a HD-plasma in the room for general TV watching and save the projector for films & major events! But for the time being my old Panny will have to fill that role.

As for wasting money on something I can't use, well all kind of depends when I finaly get the keys to my house! At this rate SKy-HD will just have been launched & I hope to have my projector in and set up a few weeks later so it's not much of an issue.

6. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There a fair few planning on getting Sky HD for non HD ready Plasmas like the Panny PE50 as there is likely to be a huge benefit from the extra bandwidth used. Sky have made it clear that you do not need a HD ready set for Sky HD but that you wont fully benefit from Sky HD without one.

I think you can view this for yourself in some branches of JL and maybe even in some Panny Shops where they have HD demos running on no HD ready Plasmas. If your TV has a component and accept a 720p or 1080i signal 50hz then it should give a pretty decent HD picture.

You may be surprised at the little difference between it an a HD ready one.

7. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You could feed a HD 720p/1080i signal into your 42" Panny and let it rescale it, I have done this a lot with the PWD6 and it looked fantastic :thumbsup:

Made more of a difference changing the source to HD then the subsequent change to a HD panel (keeping the same HD source)...IMO.

What you will be able to view on release and then in a years time via the component outputs is anyones guess at this time though.

8. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Great info guys, appreciate it.

9. si2k2000

si2k2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if the PWD6 will accept Sky HD @ 50hz.

10. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Don't you need an HDCP enabled digital connection to view SKY HD, I suppose the component connections will downgrade the resolution to SD, but then you won't be feeding your SD plasma with a HD signal, so even if it accepts HD it won't get it unless you have a HDCP connection. Sort of defeats the point of getting HD doesn't it?

Cheers Rooster-X

11. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    apparently the first gen hd boxes will output hd via the component ports. wheather this changes in the future or is based on content is yet to be seen however. such as sky box office may limit it to hdmi

12. bobsplace

bobsplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I could be wrong, but the way i see it...........

HDCP is copy protection, nothing really to do with pq.

Early Sky HD boxes will have this removed on component to allow non HDCP screens to enjoy the benefit of HD.

Indeed most high end users prefer vga than hdmi and will go this route....

13. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Don't think so, you will probably need a scaler to convert from 50Hz to 60Hz. From memory the debate on the forum suggested that this can result in choppy pans, so you might find this unacceptable, suggest you do a search on the forum.

Cheers Rooster-X

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It's not a case of having it removed on component, HDCP is a digital encryption method so simply won't work over an analogue connection.

15. bobsplace

bobsplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If so , whats the point of component on HD?

Also "boxes" can do this....

16. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There's no reason why component shouldn't be used for HD it just isn't an appropriate connection method if transferring copy protected material because HDCP won't work.

17. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I suppose it depends on what you are watching whether it will be HDCP or not. Say for example SKY News won't be encrypted so no problems over component there, but SKY movies could be encrypted, so component would have to downscale to SD over the component connection.

Rooster-X

18. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Component is an analogue HD signal. HDMI is a digital HD signal. A digital signal can be protected by HDCP, which is a kind of data handshaking/encryption thing, like DRM. Analogue can't of course be protected like that, but can be protected by other systems, like Macrovision.

Sky boxes will output HD on both HDMI and component connections. It has not been stated whether or not HDCP copy protection will be switched on on the HDMI output, it will be up to the broadcaster; I would be gobsmacked if it were not "on" for Sky's content. The BBC may leave it off for some stuff.

Broadcasters will be able to switch off the component output on the box for their programmes if they wish. Sky have said that they will not do this for the channels they own; Discovery, the BBC or National Geographic may do - they haven't said, but I doubt it.

There is no direct link between HDCP status and the component connection status. Sky have also said in the past the "downscaling" of an HD signal will not be an option.

19. czytt

czytt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sky have already stated that they will not be using HDCP for the forseeable future, so far as I am aware.

I'm not, however, sure that applies to premium channels or Box Office.

Jerry

20. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    i would like to know where you heard that. im not doubting you.

but it means if a customer buys a channel thru subscription then if they decide not to let component show it in hi-def that would mean the customer gets jack **** and the broadcaster/channel gets lots of complaints

21. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    This only applies to their own content.

22. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I don't see what your point is. If you subscribe to HD then you'd expect to use HDMI or component for this purpose. If the customer decides not to use these connections they will only be able to view the SD equivalent channel, I don't see what they have to complain about.

23. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    so are you saying all hd channels will be simulticast? i dont think they all will.

but besides that, if i paid to recieve a channel in HD, i expect to get it in HD i dont want some **** deciding i cant watch the latest whatever thru component just because they think they are better than the rest.

thankfully i have 2 HDMI ports in my tv, im just sticking up for the less fortunate

EDIT: btw im trying to point out that they would be denied it via component as and when the channel pleases. which is not fair if your paying for that channel for the whole month

24. bobsplace

bobsplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    My main point was , some use component even when they have hdmi inputs, its a better choice on some panels due to frc.

VGA over component can display a "cleaner" less digitised image, the hdcp can be removed with a "box" to allow this...................

In this instace you would use hdmi out from stb into a stripper, then component to screen.........

25. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    JagoPlasma, The SkyHD service comes with a minimum set of requirements to get the best out of the service, component being one of them of which they said will only be available initially, and an optimum set of requirements including HDMI/DVI to get the complete service. If a customer chooses not to use the minimum connection requirements then they have no right to complain if they don't always get the full and complete service.

Even if they choose to go down the component connection route they should still be aware before subscribing that this could mean that don't always get the full HD offering.

26. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No, they haven't. They've said they will not disable the component output. Different thing, but some have taken one to mean the other.

27. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Bloke from the HD team at Sky told me.

I agree, it's unlikley to be used in practice, but it's there as an option.

The exact same option exists for HD-DVD and BluRay disks - the manufacturer of the disk can disable the component out of the player if they so wish.

28. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It's not really a "stripper", it's an digital-to-analogue converter. I'll take your word for it that adding a DA conversion step can increase quality, but it seems rather bizarre that it would!

29. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sky Movies, Sky Sports live events and Sky One will be simulcast. I would guess that Artsworld would be too.