This may be a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by vic flange, Sep 11, 2007.

1. vic flange

vic flange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    but I'm new to home cinema so bear with me.

After totally remodelling our living room, we've gone all minimal. Nothing but 2 sofas and a small cupboard with the HC bits in, and the plasma wall-mounted. We love the new look, very clean, but have a problem relating to DVD's. We've got 250+ of them, but don't want to store them in the lounge, they'd take up loads of space and spoil all our clean lines. No room anywhere else to put them, so they're currently in the loft :thumbsdow

So I was wondering if it's able to buy something that works like a cross between sky+ and an iPod for DVD's? Copy all the DVD's onto a huge hard-drive, then access them like computer files rather than needing the discs. This would be connected via either SCART or HDMI, as I've got a spare lead for each chased behind the wall. Obviously, it would need to output the pictures in the same quality as a DVD player, plus 5.1 sound too.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance. :smashin:

2. Jonesybones

Jonesybones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you are willing to spend a bit of money on a (media) pc with a decent graphics card, good sound card, a decent dvd drive (+ software) and alot of memory, you shouldn't have any problems. That way you can also access the internet (internet movies anyone?) and play music too...

If you are into a bit of DIY, and want to fully customise the spec to your personal requirement ( whilst still keeping the costs to a minimum) then try this: http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2006/07/27/Build-Your-Own-Media-PC/p1

Alternatively just go to dell and buy one from them

3. betty02

betty02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As mentioned a media PC is you best bet tbh mate, i built a PC once into a free floating shelf and it was totally hidden apart from the one power cable but you would never of guessed there was a PC in the shelf, custom builds are your best bet, do you need all the stuff in your cabinet? If not build one in a draw, im always making custom PC builds for people

4. vic flange

vic flange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the replies.

Was hoping there was something a bit simpler than sticking a pc in the cupboard, and a bit cheaper tbh. It'd need a shedload of memory though, wouldn't it?

5. betty02

betty02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I rekon i could build one for around £200-£300 with enough memory for yo fancy, mate, yeah tis honestly not the best solution and i eman you can buy DVD chanegrs which hosue like 50 DVD's but thats not really wat your going to be after im guessing is it

6. vic flange

vic flange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6