1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This made me laugh...........

Discussion in 'Sport' started by overkill, Sep 23, 2005.

1. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I was just browsing casually and I found this prem hype and it made me laugh out loud! :D

The gap between FA fantasy and the grim reality of the premiership has never been bigger.

What price any sensible conclusions from their 'report on falling gates'?

Going on that load of tripe, not much!

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Roud Gullit......... :rolleyes:

I hope they conclude there should be a cap on ticket prices as the least they should do

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    :eek: I think that one sentence shows how wrong the article is !

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I have to say I love watching the British establishment getting into its full swing. ;)

So, where did I see the shiny beast in action? In Todays news and MOTD on BBC, which was positively glowing in it's praise for todays prem action. "Who says the prem is boring" "what a great day in the premiership" they said on the news. I could hardly wait.........

MOTD of course being the class sycophant acts they are, soon got into the groove. The mistake strewn fiasco that was Man Utd V Blackburn was a "great game", the others all following that lead. Me, I thought it was the same old huff an puff BS thats been slowly putting me off over the last decade. Still, what do I know.........? ;)

What this display of spin did show only to clearly though is this; the FA aren't going to be laying the blame on one of the real culprit for falling gates in the prem - poor football.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I've noticed the Beeb going into grovel mode as well :D
    I heard a Scottish chap speaking some sense on Talksport last night. He was saying that it shows how mediocre the Premier League must be when you get Everton finishing 4th from bottom a couple of seasons ago, then getting a European spot the year after and now back down to the bottom again so far this season.

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I see JohnG that Sucdamore is in denial. According to him gates are up! I see..........

So those huge empty areas at grounds that weren't there last season are just figments of our imagination then eh?

Great. Good job we cleared that up so quickly then! :D

Or alternately, here we go once again on the 'figure fiddling' trail. I remember in the 80's when gates plumetted the FL doing the same thing. They start using figures for season ticket holders (which the majority are now) even if they don't actually take up their seats, or as I suspect in this case, even if they haven't renewed their season ticket!

I knew they'd came up with some BS to get out of taking any concrete action to help fans, or, the game itself.

The sweet FA. More useless than a chocolate fireguard.......... :rolleyes:

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Its not so much "boring football". That will sort itself out, eventually :rolleyes: :D

Its rising ticket prices and stupid kick off times. If you have to travel a fair way, you won't get back till late. Feasible with the kids?

Cap ticket price, and make every match Sat 3pm. Sky can stick their TV early/late/Sunday kick off time you know where. Also concession for kids, elderly, disabled should be a given, not at the discretion of individual Prem clubs

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Good points there mate. The other thing that is really annoying me at the moment is all the cheating and diving and rolling around on the floor in agony. I wish I could have some of that magic spray that the trainers have the next time I stub my toe on something as it seems to be able to footballers broken legs in seconds ;)

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,251
    if players can get a red-card for clapping at the ref, surely they can get a red-card for trying to con the ref? I thought the rule was already in place?

Anyone who requires 'magic-spray' treatment causing the game to be stopped, should be 'hospital binned' for 15 mins, where some 'doctors' in white coats and footy shorts, bend them over and 'examine them' in front of the baying fans at the away supporters end.... - who are all provided with disposable cameras (with flash) in order to record the 'miracle cure' taking place... :devil:

10. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Agreed. But it's a bitter pill to swallow with regards your other points.

However, even when football was cheaper, dull matches and too much domination by one or two clubs killed gates, and nearly killed the game. You may be too young to remember ;) but in 86' gates were rock bottom after years of falling year on year. The game was dead on it's feet here. Only the improvements on the pitch, and a few fresh faces saved it, from frankly a largely unmourned end. JohnG will tell you how much stick the media were giving it - by stark contrast to the bum kissing that is so prelevant today.

If the interest hadn't revived back then there would've been no prem, and no 'golden goose' for steep prices, poor football, and crap kick-off times to kill.

It's funny how the clubs, FA, FL etc forget it was the fans returning, not sky money, that saved the game.

11. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Was it not Sky money that allowed this to happen :confused:

Me not being as old as you i may not remember ;)

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    By fresh faces I meant teams not individuals. The arrival of a few minnows that shook up the 'big boys' was what turned gates around. In the period 87-88 three unfashionable clubs won honours against the big clubs, and throughout 87' several smaller teams produced good results against the leading lights re-sparking interest

Attendances were increasing year on year before the prem was even a greedy twinkle in the chairmens eyes. With the prem and sky money came the big foreign signings, but gates had already been increasing, year on year, for six years by then.

It's also arguable that the influx of foreign players, while adding short term glitz to the prem, was in fact a negative long term factor, one that we are finally feeling today. It certainly aided the trend towards a decreasing number of clubs able to challenge for the major trophies, and hence the eventual, and inevitable, decline in interest.

Using the Scottish example Andy, although you'd love to see Rangers win the lot again, most neutrals in Scotland are tired of the old firm winning everything in sight. Hence Hearts run is generally being applauded. The current domination by the big two is statistically the worst ever. And that's saying something! :eek:

Too much being won by too few, added to poor football is a recipe for fans staying at home.

13. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Agreed although i can't speak for Andy :confused: ;)

The thing that amazes me with Hearts enjoying such a good run is people saying it makes it more exciting :confused:

We have had 2 titles out of 3 only being won on the last day of the season and one of them being won in the last 3 minutes of the season :eek: it doesn't get much more exciting than that :clap:

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It's not exciting if you're not a rangers fan............. ;)