This 'll never catch on!

wiz

Outstanding Member
Reaction score

Can't see it myself. Way to big. Can't watch video's, take pictures, browse the internet or do email.
Why would anyone want that.

Why would anyone want that.
Why indeed, why would so many of the population become zombified staring into a small screen whilst walking along the road, oblivious to all other dangers that might befall them purely so they can be informed about what someone on a thing called Facebook had for lunch?

How do you think the Hunger Games got started?

Back in the 1950s my dad used a walkie-talkie to communicate with his colleagues. As a small boy I thought it was magic.

Mobile wireless communication has been available since WWII.

Back in the 1950s my dad used a walkie-talkie to communicate with his colleagues. As a small boy I thought it was magic.

Mobile wireless communication has been available since WWII.

To be fair they do say that on the Blue Peter feature. The point they are making is that someone sat at home without a walkie talkie can pick up their phone that has been around for years and without any modifications call someone that is out on the move.

Get the guy who came up with the idea and the company he worked for did absolutely nothing with it and so didn't make a bean from it.

Cheers,

Nigel

The difference is the network - you can't use a walkie talkie to call someone in Australia.
In fact, the network is the point of the system.

It's a Blue Peter piece from 1976 about one of the first mobile phones. They came with their own shoulder bag.

I remember my dad bringing home a portable "car phone" when I was about 7 (1987), I couldn't even pick it up.

Mind you, telling someone from back then you will have this device that you needed to charge every single day to keep it running, would think you are crazy.
And I still think it's crazy.
Imaging needing to charge your TV remote every day, or your bedside clock, or your many other battery devices.
I do hope they fix this soon.
There was talk of nuclear phones that would last the life of the phone, but never heard much more. (on a tiny scale of course) ;)

Mind you, telling someone from back then you will have this device that you needed to charge every single day to keep it running, would think you are crazy.

Like an electric car?

And I still think it's crazy.
Imaging needing to charge your TV remote every day, or your bedside clock, or your many other battery devices.
I do hope they fix this soon.
There was talk of nuclear phones that would last the life of the phone, but never heard much more. (on a tiny scale of course) ;)
Except it's no longer a phone. It's a micro-computer. A micro-computer that needs constant charging is normal. How long will your laptop last on a charge?

Mine lasts a week or more.
Simple phone and I went for the higher capacity battery (Motorola C Plus), wasn't bothered about a fancy camera.

It hasn't caught on with me as I haven't got one.

And before anyone says, "but they're useful for emergencies", I clearly lead a very dull life completely devoid of regular emergencies.

I get about 5-7 days out of mine.
My elite has never lasted that long. Usually dies on the third day if I've been too lazy to charge it.

I usually get a month out of my Harmony One. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom