1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is weird - but can anyone throw any light on it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Family Guy, May 27, 2003.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not 100% sure where to post this, so I'll start here and I'm sure I can rely on the mods to move it if required...

The equipment:
    Cambridge Audio DV57 DVD Player - with DVD Audio and built in DD decoder.
    Marantz CD 63 CD player
    Yamaha DSP AX630 amp - with 6 channel input.

The problem:

There is a problem with the right channel on the 6 channel input when using the Cambridge Audio DVD player...channel is just dead.
    However - when I connect the analogue stereo outs from the Marantz CD player, both channels working fine & dandy.

The answer:

Right channel out is knackered on the 6 channel out on the Cambridge audio DVD player...Right??

WRONG!!:confused:

Took the DVD player to a friends, hooked it up to his 6 channel inputs on his Yamaha amp and all channels firing loud and clear and decoding Titan AE very well indeed.

:confused: :confused:

Tried it again this morning and the same on my equipment - right channel working fine through CD player, nothing through DVD player. Using the Coaxial digital output, all channels work fine.

I did use the same cables on all tests, both here and at my friends house...

Any help would be SOME help....

Big up to Paul at Richer Sounds in Guilford though - has agreed to change the player for a Tosh 520 even though there is nothing wrong with it...:smashin:

Would still love to know what the problem is - so if any of you :lesson: out there have a dink doo, please share...

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Not sure if I read it right, but maybe the right channel of the 6 channel input on the amp is not working?

You can test it by swapping the left and right (6 channel) outputs over from the player. If the right channel still doesn't work, then it's the amp.

Gary.

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I think the input is fine - when I plug my CD player into it, both channels work OK...

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Does your cd player have 6 outputs, or do you mean you're connecting the cds stereo right output to the 6 channel right input?

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's it - spot on yes. And I get sound when I do this...

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Have you tried swaping the dvd players left and right 6 channel outputs over?

See if the faulty channel remains faulty, or moves to the other side...

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't no. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm at work at the mo...

You seem to have a good knowledge of all thing Cambridge Audio...every time I do a search for it, your name crops up...:lesson:
    Which DVD player did you settle on in the end? I think I'm gonna go for the Toshiba 520 providing it dosen't me any more money. I quite fancy the Philips 963 in the classifieds at the moment but the bank manager - she say no...:mad: :nono:

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I had the 57 for a few days, but I prefered the image the 520 gave on my projector (except for a slight green shift). The PS output from the 57had problems too.

I wouldn't recommend the 520 on a large screen such as a projector because of the green shift - a few other people have seen it too.

The Panasonic S75 seems a good machine, and can be got for just £135 inc vat and postage. It's via the net, so not so straight forward to return if you don't like it or have problems.

I'm currently using an htpc until PAL progressive has been sorted out - there seems to be too many issues with it in many players right now..

Gary.

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I did a bit of research and couldn;t find anything adverse said about the playe so I orderded one from www.digital-point.co.uk for £134.99 inc next day delivery...once I take my CA 57 back and get my credit card refunded, I'm quids in.
    I don;t know about you, but there is something a little more satisfying about having a Panasonic on your rack rather than a Cambridge Audio...though I am sure they are very good.
    All I need to know now is is the power cable on The S57 captive or a figure of eight...? Got 2 Russ Andrews Yello's on the way and don't want to cut the cable while it's under guarantee...

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Let us know what you think of it when you get it?

Cheers

Gary.

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be 2 versions - Tha Panasonic S75EBS (which is the model featured on the Panasonic website) and the Panasonic DVD S75 - which seems to be the cheaper version. When you compare the 2, they appear to be exactly the same with the same features. Digital point seem to have a good rep on the net - 26 reviews at kelkoo and only 3 negative, and 2 of those could have been avoided had the customer researched the item (no component outs was one of the complaints...). They offer a years parts and labour guarantee as well. Their delivery gets glowing reviews (drivers phoning to let you know they'll be there in an hour, setting up the kit and taking the rubbish away etc) so it should be here Thursday sometime...

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would throw a quick update here - and it's no better TBH.

I have now had a 100% equipment exchange - now have a Toshiba 520 and a Marantz SR5300 amp. Have also exchanged all the cables. BUT THE RIGHT CHANNEL ON 5.1 CHANNEL STILL DOSENT *&^*>G WORK!!!:mad: :suicide:

I was on the phone to a very good friend of mine who is a THX instalation for Sevenoaks and he talked me through a bit of fault finding - running the individual test tones from the Tosh through the 5.1 channel input and moving the relevenat plug to each speaker...when I got to the right channel - silence. I moved the plug to all the sockets on the amp - silence. Confirmed, the right channel out is knacked on the DVD player...

BUT, this is the third DVD player I have from RS where this has happened, 2 Cambridge Audio 57 and now the TOSH. Is this possible?? I think I've just proved it is...but how...??:confused:

3 players - all the same fault??

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Sounds like the amp is damaging he players somehow. Perhaps some sort of voltage surge when the amp is powered up/down.

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New amp...the DVD players act exactly the same way on 2 different amps...I think if the surge was coming from the mains, it would blow something at random, not hunt out the right channel all the time. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    It's not a dodgy speaker or wiring is it?

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All works fine when run through the digital output...I have my suspicions. I'm gonna try it later without the SCART plug plugged in...maybe there's a short in there.