This Is Spinal Tap: 25th Anniversary Edition (UK) 07/09

Jim Morrison

According to Play.com.....

Play.com (UK) : This Is Spinal Tap: 25th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) : Blu-ray - Free Delivery

ST.jpg

shortround

Must buy for me. It's out in July in the US, so I'll probably import.

I just hope they treat it well. It was shot on 16mm, so I hope they don't try to de-grain it to appeal to the unwashed masses.

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
They're not known for handling older titles with care. For every T2 and Total Recall, there's an Escape From New York,(let's not go there), a Cliffhanger,(audio issue), and They Live,(allegedly so bad, that it was halted before release). If Studio Canal actually own the rights to This Is Spinal Tap, it could go oh so horribly wrong. I hope not.

shortround

Looks like MGM hold the US rights, maybe Optimum will use their master? I guess we'll wait and see. I'll probably get the US version anyway, as I'm too impatient to wait for the UK release!

slackbladder

Just to add, Amazon have a Special Edition- This is Spinal Tap - Limited Marshall Amp Edition DVD and Blu-ray DVD
DVD Description
This limited edition includes the following:

Limited edition customised Marshall Amp (going up to 11). This is a fully working amp that can also be used as an iPod speaker.
Numbered special amp packaging
7 original art cards.
5 Disc Stonehenge digi pack – including
• ‘This is Spinal Tap’ re-mastered and restored
• The Blu-ray of ‘This is Spinal Tap’
• Over 5 hours of extras (inc ‘The Return of Spinal Tap, A new and exclusive ‘fans of the film’ documentary with interviews with Ricky Gervais, Kasabian and more comedians and musicians, Live Earth concert footage, commentaries by the band)
• The Original Soundtrack CD

robcat101

This is another title where people have to have realistic expectations. It's another low-budget movie from quite a few years ago.

My DVD of this is shockingly poor PQ so any improvement is welcome, I'm just not expecting anything special.

MJeeves

Is there any difference in the specs, audio and picture quality between the UK bluray disc and the US bluray disc? :confused:

signs

Banned
This is another title where people have to have realistic expectations. It's another low-budget movie from quite a few years ago.

My DVD of this is shockingly poor PQ so any improvement is welcome, I'm just not expecting anything special.

Thats the whole idea tho ,it was meant to look a bit, for the want of a better word "cheap" the age of any film should make no differance to a film as long as it was shot on 35mm

it's the extras that are going to count here

also has everybody who has this or is getting it seen the "real" spinal tap that that is the story of Anvil ..hilarious :thumbsup:

slackbladder

My "This is Spinal Tap - Limited Marshall Amp Edition" was dispatched today by Amazon. Should be here by Thursday.

Really looking forward to it.:clap:

Stuart

Distinguished Member
My "This is Spinal Tap - Limited Marshall Amp Edition" was dispatched today by Amazon. Should be here by Thursday.

Really looking forward to it.:clap:

Make sure you take the label sheet off the back before opening it as I didn't and tore the box a little when trying to ease the top off :(

It's a cracking set :thumbsup:

KRW

Mine arrived this evening by Home Delivery Network. It is an excellent set. The little amp is very cute, and looks like a quality 'toy'. Not tried it, nor will I, I expect but it feels very good.

Picture quality looks like you'd expect, an improvement over the DVD (I've only seen the Crit), but not a demo disc. It's probably the best you'll see Spinal Tap looking though, and its pleasingly 'grainy'.

slackbladder

God dammit'.
It STILL hasn't arrived from Amazon! It dispatched on Monday, next day delivery (£4.40) and it's not bloody here!! Could it be the backlog in London causing the delay? I received Gladiator in two days last week with no problem.
Argghh, I'm not happy...:mad:

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
Took near two weeks for an item I'd paid £137 for via 1st class, so there's definitely a backlog somewhere, I'd say.

vader100

What you mean like postal strikes sort of delay? Welcome to the death throes of yet anothor strike filled labour government.

slackbladder

The backlog (if there is one) is in the Southwest I believe. No, I think someone nicked mine.
Amazon replied and have another one coming. The arrival date is 15th this month. Because it's a weekend it won't be dispatched until Monday.
It'd better come.:mad:

Jim Morrison

Watched this last night and it looked about as good as I was expecting. Far from reference but a nice upgrade over the DVD(s).

Had a quick flick through the non-DVD extras and I was tad disappointed to find that only "Stonehenge" made it from the 2007 appearance at Live Earth. At least that's all I got as it returned to the menu after the track had finished. I was rather looking forward to the bass extravaganza for "Big Bottom". Oh well, just a minor gripe...very happy, overall.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Cracking disc. Faithful PQ, stonking audio and some glorious extras make this one a keeper.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett