1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is ridiculous!! HELP

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Dom H, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up another xbox on monday, you may know this was my fourth as they all developed the same fault within about a week.

Guess what, yep my 4th has developed the same fault after just a day! It either hard locks while running the demo or displays a 'disc may be dirty' message. Like I say this has happend to all four.

I'm starting to think it can't be the machines and must be more to do with placement.

I started to think of all the external things that could affect it.

1. Heat - Machine is well ventilated so this isn't the problem

2. 'Levelness' - Last night I checked the unit it sits on with a spirit level, was leaning quite badly forward (impossible to see) Put 1/2 inch block of wood, unit now level, game crashed after but I think the machine not being level may have damaged the disc.

3. Power Supply - Outlets checked by electrician, 240-243V fluctuating by about 1V. machine is plugged into a surge board w/ emi/noise filtering.

I have set the xbox up on a portable telly in another room, so far it has been running fine for several hours?!? If anyone can solve these problems I will..uh..be extremely grateful..extremely.

Heres a pic of where it is originally...

/http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/9b9d8f8b/bc/Shared/__hr_P1010026.jpg?bcyMRU9A7oA8.Kl6

Cheers

Dom

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spoke to soon, another dirty disc msg.

This is getting stupid, onto xbox 5. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be said, this is a very odd problem since I haven't had so many reports from one person with 4 new Xbox's... The only thing you could try out (with the data given) is to try out the new Xbox on a level playing surface. I remember that the early batch of Xbox's had this problem but all of them were recalled back to Microsoft. Since then I would assume that the problem was sorted out, but clearly it hasn't!

With the new Xbox I would get a rented game ready to test as well. The early batch of Xbox's basically destroyed the DVDs itself causing the dirty disk message, so it could be that your games have already been damaged thanks to the first Xbox.

Worth trying anyway... Hit us back with the results.

4. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Neo, I have just rented Wreckless and it is running on demo now i'll let you know if it crashes. Disc is slightly scratched being a rental but I can't see any of the faint concentric rings around the face of the disc, like on my motogp and all the other games i had on previous xboxes.

Dom.

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am on my 6th PS2 within the course of a year. My Xbox is randomly acting in a strange fashion. I had 4 PSX's. My Mega Drive never had a single problem.

The only hard fact in life is that disc-based consoles break all the time. The DVD-ROM in the Xbox is either a Thomson or Philips, they should not be too bad. The DVD-ROM in the PS2 is a modified Precision Drive. It should not fail that easily. I think it kinda makes sense they fail after some time. The drives are worn out prematurely as all data is read from the disc, whereas on a PC you install much if not most of the code on your HD.

But when they fail after only a few days or weeks something funny is going on. Poltergheist perhaps. That is to say, the Xbox is a Poltergheist in its own right.

6. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zacabeb just out of curiosity have you checked how level the unit is your machines sit on with a spirit level? I also had problems with PS2's before on the same unit.

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6th PS2 within 12 months?!? Man thats bad... My PS2 hasn't given me any faults, even when I've modded it. My PSX is still kicking (bought it on launch) and my other consoles are fine. I agree that with cart based consoles the lifespan is longer but then that is to be expected since the data is stored on ROM.

I feel for you Zacabeb since thats quite a lot of PS2s to go through alright. The most common fault for the PS2 seems to be related to its fan but that can be easily replaced.

Hope everything clears up for you Dom, keep us posted.

8. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do, going to dixons tomorow to get my 5th

9. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im on my 12th GC and it still keeps rebooting itself and flashing
    up the error msg " konichiwah error: please insert halo disc, da boom lik game, syahnarah baby".

just kidding! ;)

Disc read probelms.. hmmm.. my friend had the same problems
    u know when the green light flashes on the front of the xbox,
    when its saving or loading...

... well he's impatient.. pressing eject in the middle when its loading and saving, he thinks these things are durable, but
    they have delicate electronics inside. its not like the old days of the Atari \ SNES catridge based system when u can shove a cartridge
    in roughly and it still reads it, if it doesn't then switch system off and put the cartridge back in properly and switch on. I still have my
    old atari vcs... that's how durable they are!

luckily EB replaced his xbox after he owned it for 2 months.
    he just copied all the stuf from his xbox to his pc via his LAN
    and then when he got the new xbox he copied it all from PC to that, and using the xbox 8meg memory cards too.

it just abt keeping the disks clean and not ejecting the disc when
    it saving \ reading.

My xbox has been going strong since released day..infact i leave it on all day! i used it for dvd's and cd's too.

Cya,
    Shaz

10. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5th xbox working like a charm.

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh good to hear Dom. Was it your games after all? Or was it the playing surface?

12. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO the unlevel surface was damaging the discs. So what's the deal with the faint concentric rings around the face of the discs, they are definitely on new sealed discs.