1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is HARD work!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pete Callan, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never realised how difficult it would be to buy a television. Buying a flat was pretty hard, as was buying a car and a computer, but this beats them all hands down.

Every time I make a "final decision" something else crops up. After days of trawling through magazine and web site reviews and deciding on the Sony 32FQ75U for £1198, I discovered the serious problems people have experienced with scrolling lines etc!

Initially I was going to get the Panasonic TX32PL10 for £850 but saw this had not got such good reviews, including reference to vertical lines on the screen. It also only has two scarts, which seems to be a problem for all-in-one home cinema type users, which I intend to become (see below).

Then it was the Sony KV32FX65 for £795 which had very good reviews. Then I discovered the bad reviews, also it is allegedly extremely heavy, so all in all, another no-no.

I also need to buy a VCR and DVD with surround sound and have decided on the Sony SLV-SE820 for £147 and the Sony DAV-S500 for £458. So I would prefer to have a Sony TV to match the set (but this isn't that important) but have been put off the two Sonys I've mentioned above.

It seems that 100Hz is good in theory but not always in practice, and is worth going for only if you also have the option to use 50Hz too. Three scarts are better than two (why, I don't know but it seems they are). I'd love picture inside picture so in all these respects, the 32FQ-75U seemed to fit the bill but then came the scrolling lines problem!! AAaaarrggh.

Well, if anyone wants to give me their two penneth worth I would love to hear it because I'm close to deciding to buy the VCR only and making do with my 15 year old Ferguson telly for a while longer.

2. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete,

I can only sympathise with you regarding choosing a tv! I am in the same position myself and buying a decent widescreen tv which there is nothing wrong with seems impossible.

I've also found it easier to buy a house and revise for a few exams easier than researching about Tv's!

I'm set to buy in the next 2-4 weeks, so I'll be interested to hear your replies, but I fancy either:

Panasonic 32pl10 or Panasonic 36pl30
    Toshiba Picture Frame 32" or 36"

I've always thought Sony TV's look decent, but would not touch one with all the problems here, as they sound like the worst!

I think we need to come up with a top 5 from everybody here and compile a chart...........

Good luck in your search!
    B.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    You *could* do what most people do and just do down to Dixons and buy the one which has the nicest cabinet. Or the one the salesdunce tells you to buy. That would be easy.
    You then sit and watch TV without even caring... no - thinking about picture quality.
    And you can sit in your snug world of blissful ignorance that you just spent your money just about as unwisely as you possibly could.
    For an example, check out Home Simpson's purchase decisions.
    mmmm
    Candy bar in one hand, winning lottery ticket in the other and only enough cash for one or the other. mmm
    And after a moment of frustrated indecision, gives in and goes for the Candy.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Although I'm sure Spectre's advice was intentionally flippant - it may not be far from good advice.

It can't have escaped anyone's notice that the numbers, and quality, of flat panel TVs are both growing - larger LCDs and smaller Plasmas are all beginning to appear. They are, of course, all stupidly expensive at present.

However, I think these things are the industry's next holy grail. If and when they can be made and sold for, let's say 25% more than an equivalent CRT TV, they won't be able to keep them on the shelves.

Intrinsically, LCD and Plasma will not suffer from many of the artefacts that plague CRT TVs that are made down to a price, rather than up to a standard. They do, of course, have new artefacts all their own. But they WILL improve.

That time WILL come. Probably in 3-4 years.

So, perhaps you SHOULD consider buying the cheapest TV you can find - in the recognition that you will live with it, warts and all, for 3 years or so, and then bin it in favour of an LCD or Plasma, costing (at today's prices), say £1000-2000 depending on size.

5. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "KV32FX65 for £795 "

Where from?

Mark

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could buy a Loewe Vitros, same price as the Sony, and never worry again, until plasmas are affordable... :p

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try a Sony KV32DX100 DRCMF IDTV but you will need a proper DVD player with an RGB Scart as AV3 is for VCR, and AV1 & 2 are RGB

The rule of DVD players

DO NOT BUY WITHOUT RGB Scart unless it has component and you can handle component

RGB IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL WITH DVD AND TV

S-Video is very ropey

8. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies.

Beavis: Good luck in your search too.

Spectre: I've checked out the local Currys, Comet etc but only to see the tvs in action - I never intended to do a Homer Simpson and buy the first thing the sales assistant recommends!

Nigel: But I want a good 32" tv NOW, not in 3-4 years time. The problem is that in 3-4 year's time, there'll be some other great piece of technology just 3-4 years from being really cheap too! In other words, do I want to drive a Morris Marina for the rest of my life? (No is the answer to that question!)

BT52: premieravcentre.co.uk. However, have just realised their price is without stand, £945 with stand. All my other prices are from techtronics.com.

Lowrider: I've now seen the Loewe Vitros 6381 ZW at Empiredirect.co.uk for £1370 or the Loewe P4781ZPA
    which is a snip at £999. And they both have picture in picture. They seem to get good reviews. Are Loewe a better brand than Sony?

MartinImber: The DX100 is a bit too expensive. With regard to your comments about the RGB scart and component: I'm not sure what you mean! This is the link giving details of the DVD I want to buy: http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-sony-dav-s500-multi-region-dvd-player.html
    Would appreciate it if you can see if this has the component you mean or if I'd have problems with this set-up.

One last note about the Sony 32FQ75U. I went and had a look at some on display today and couldn't see any scrolling bars or other problems. Maybe this only affects some of them. Anyway, I'd probably want to get it from John Lewis on a price-match so if there were any problems I could get it replaced easily.

One last question. As a new user, can anyone tell me how to open the screen up so you get rid of the advert taking up the top third of the screen. Thanks.

9. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Pete Callan

"One last question. As a new user, can anyone tell me how to open the screen up so you get rid of the advert taking up the top third of the screen. Thanks."

Press [F11]

10. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon however I know about F11 to see more on the screen; what I want to know is how to get rid of the advert at the top of the page?

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You can't. Don't think the advertisers would be impressed if a push of a button removed their add.