This is getting silly!!

DRGL

Standard Member
OK i'm on TV number NINE,this is the SIXTH Sony HQ100. Here's the deal,first got the TV and switched on-perfect,spot on. Over the next few day's i've noticed the bottom left hand corner when showing reds is turning pink(like the previous set) If i use the TV's degauss circuit(on/off routine) it gets WORSE. If i use an external degasser it's perfect again until the TV is switched off & on again!! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!

DRGL

Standard Member
New Sony speakers are by the stand,they are magneticly shielded,here's the picture :-

Attachments

• IMAG0036.JPG
    IMAG0036.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 120

DRGL

Standard Member
And here's the setup :-

I was thinking that maybe when i'm using an external degauss coil i'm actually making the TV correct this by changing the magnetic field on the left(correcting some other external factor??)

Attachments

• IMAG0038.JPG
    IMAG0038.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 114

Zacabeb

Could it be the internal speakers that are not sufficiently shielded? Knowing roughly how my own TV (a Philips) looks on the inside, I would not find it surprising if your TV causes that to itself.

N

nig28

Hi
I dont think that this is your problem, we once had a similar problem with degausing and it turned out that it was fine in the workshop but it was the customers new flat which was causing the problem. It was very bad.
Nigel

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
Ok, looks exactly like the problem I had with my Loewe Nemos 32an.

It went away after about a week of the tv doing its own degausing. If you can put up with it just watch the tv as normal turning on and of as normal giving the tv time to do its own degausing. I cant promise it will work, but it definatly worked for me on the loewe. Also if you are doing this, dont use any external degausing magnets during this time, let the tv do it for its self over a number of days of normal use.( this is of course if you can put up with the problem for a few days.

L

Laurel&Hardy

I really don't know what to say...It looks so much like a degaussing problem especially if an external ring corrects it - almost as if the internal circuit is either not operational or intermittent. Can you hear the degaussing phase when you first turn the TV on, say first thing in the morning?

I would persevere for a week or two without an external ring, allowing the set to degauss itself, see if it settles down - it is not unknown for this to happen. But at the same time I'd let Sony know about it, so they are aware you aren't happy from the earliest time possible - makes it a bit easier if you have to return it (AGAIN!!!)

DRGL

Standard Member
Some more info that i should have posted last night(it was late and i was tired.....especially of this!!) When i say an external degausser works it does BUT not degaussing how you should. If i degauss with a circular motion increasing in radius as i move away from the TV the patch is usually still there. If a give the degauss a short "blast" whilst stationary it completely disappears! If i then turn the TV off and let it degauss it comes straight back(although fainter,but it comes back worse & worse after each TV degauss) My theory is this:- With the external degauss working whilst stationary this is similar to a purity correction magnet as it will be inducing a magnetic field? I don't think it will sort itself out as the set previous to this was EXACTLY the same(and that was delivered early December and replaced last week) If it was the internal speakers i would expect it both sides?? I have emailed Sony(i should think the bloke will have a break down!!!). It's either something in this house(The only thing metal within 2M is the patio window) or these TV's have a design fault!! Watch this space.

red16v

Hi, your theory about the external deguassing coil is correct. If you allow the external magnetic field to 'collapse' suddenly (by switching it off whilst in the vicinity of the crt rather than away from it) then yes you will induce a magnetic field. It does appear that the magnetic field you're inducing into the crt is acting like a crt purity magnet. I think this was perhaps the point that 'Laurel&Hardy' was making in suggesting the internal deguassing coils could be faulty in that if they were intermittant or faulty in operation in some way this might too be inducing a magnetic field rather than clearing it. Everything you describe points to (if de-gaussing does not provide a permanent solution) the purity of the set being incorrectly set at the factory or has altered due to mis-handling during transportation. However, you have now mentioned the 'patio doors' - I presume they might be made of metal ? steel ? in which case use your de-gaussing tool on them - the principle is just the same as when de-gaussing the crt on your tv set - definitely worth a try. Regards, yt.

DRGL

Standard Member
Hi,Sony have already emailed back and are organising an engineer. As this was set number NINE in 13 months they gave it a good test and it passed OK. I can't believe SIX HQ100's would all leave the factory with purity errors so i think there must be an external factor(or design fault!).I did try degaussing the doors(!) but it didn't make any difference. One thing that is stuck in my mind-our original TV did this,AFTER the recall to tidy up the degassing coil it was perfect,now this TV has the green sticker on the back which means it's had the recall done(@ factory level i was told) so that shouldn't be a factor but it seems strange that following the recall all was fine!!! My personal feeling is it needs a purity magnet sticking on. I'll see what Sony come up with. If it was damaged in transit i would have expected it to do it straight out of the box? I'll give degaussing the doors another go(god knows what the neighbours will think!!!lol)

L

Laurel&Hardy

If the patio doors are aluminium then the degauss has no effect since aluminum is non magnetic. I'd check the construction of your doors, this may be a red herring, but if they are steel then yes, degaussing them will demagetise them.

Yes, the possibility is that either the degaussing circuit is not functioning correctly, is intermittent, or the other problem that will cause this is if the coil is not dressed correctly. If it's not in the correct position it will not give and effective degauss pulse and will create strange colour hues around the edges of the pciture, which get worse over time. I'd definitely get the set checked to see the rework was done properly.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Regrettably, it probably isn't a "design fault" per se but more an inherent weakness in any CRT, the larger, the more so.

It's probably down to some slight (and I mean slight) variance in the local magnetic field between the factory and your position. If your visiting engineer is competent, he should be able to sort it out in situ by applying small magnets to the neck of the tube.

The only way to be certain of not suffering this phenomenon is to go flat screen - LCD or Plasma at present.

DRGL

Standard Member
LV426 said:
Regrettably, it probably isn't a "design fault" per se but more an inherent weakness in any CRT, the larger, the more so.

It's probably down to some slight (and I mean slight) variance in the local magnetic field between the factory and your position. If your visiting engineer is competent, he should be able to sort it out in situ by applying small magnets to the neck of the tube.

The only way to be certain of not suffering this phenomenon is to go flat screen - LCD or Plasma at present.

That was the other thought,i'd rather purity magnets on this than Plasma-Sony offered Plasma but i LOVE this set :) Thanks everyone.ps,door is aluminum ;) I read somewhere that CRT's are more proan to magnetic interference when sitting is a certain position? can't remember if it was E/W or N/S. It's sitting with the screen running nearly E/W.......

red16v

East/West is the preferred position and when setting a crt up in the workshop then I always ensure that's the orientation its sat in. Regards, yt.

DRGL

Standard Member
A few day's after delivery-the previous one did it straight out of the box-the pattern was exactly the same!

Mike-M

I know NOTHING about the technical aspects of this (as you will discover when you read on) But I was wondering if you had tried moving the set to a different location or room ?

DRGL

Standard Member
OK,just gone to take some pictures at Sony's request. The problem is now much less. It was there last night though,could this be effected by heat? And if it is that sounds like bad news to me?(like knackered tube due to mi-handling??)

spocktra

Have you tried the sony in another location,to see if the fault is still there.All the tvs i have had recently have displayed the same slight pincushion fault.Positioned elsewhere [upstairs] the problem goes.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio