This is getting messy... Please help to tidy up!

Tahiti

Standard Member
I have a Sony KDL40W2000 (will be wall mounted, and cables will be on show as I'm not allowed to channel into the wall), matched to a Sony HXD-860 DVD Recorder. I also have an ordinary Telewest box, a PS2, and surround sound (not bought yet buy probably using a Sony STRDE400 amp). I am completely lost now, but the spec of the amp is here - http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRDE400).

This is what I have been told I need, but I am really trying to minimise wiring and I'm kind of lost as to whether this is everything I will need...

1. HDMi cable to connect the TV to the DVD player
2. coaxial or optical cable to connect the DVD player to the amp
3. RGB scart cable to connect the telewest box to the TV
4. set of RCA cables to connect the telewest box to the amp
5. set of RCA's to connect the PS2 to the amp

I'm really quite embarrassed but I just don't get what I need :rolleyes:

Thank you for any guidance.

As an aside, I'd also like to be able to turn the surround amp off when it gets a bit late, and simply use the internal TV speakers. Is this feasible?

5. set of RCA's to connect the PS2 to the amp
You could use optical like the dvd as your amp does have 2 optical in's.

You also missed cable from ps2 to tv.

You can switch the amp on and off at any time you want. I have sometimes the av podcast going from my mp3 player to my amp while having my tv on low in the background.

Tahiti

Standard Member
Thank you - I knew I'd forget something! How would you go about connecting the PS2 to the amp as well as the TV though? I've had a look at the PS2, and there is an "AV Multi Out" socket and "Digital Out (Optical)" available.

The AV Multi Out will go to the tv and the Digital Out will go to the amp. So if needed you can have 5.1 sound on games that support it and the av multi out will also take sound to your tv so you can use your ps2 without the amp.

No problems, I dont have amazing knowledge regarding cables but I do know the basic in order to get me going. If you have any more questions just ask as I would think someone on the forums will be able to help you.

Let me know how you get on!

Tahiti

Standard Member
I'd like even basic knowledge of cables. That said, since I've been on here, I've learnt a bit. I didn't even know what RGB referred to (as in Scart) until I read about it on here! Thanks for the help.

gbrooksmith

Standard Member
People, you managed to help Tahiti but can you help me!! I have VAST amounts of wiring and need everything to work but at the mo IT AINT!! What do I need to connect the following and can I leave it all connected up-

Samsung 27" LCD TV(new fangled type).
Daewoo DVD/Video combo which wont record my TV signal as says there is nothing there but snow!! NO INPUT DETECTED!!).
PS2
Logitech 5:1 speakers.
Brand new V+ box.
Also I would like to plug my laptop into the TV and use it in conjunction with the speakers but if I plug it in it all goes wrong.

PLEASE HELP. Cheers.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
People, you managed to help Tahiti but can you help me!! I have VAST amounts of wiring and need everything to work but at the mo IT AINT!! What do I need to connect the following and can I leave it all connected up-

Samsung 27" LCD TV(new fangled type).
Daewoo DVD/Video combo which wont record my TV signal as says there is nothing there but snow!! NO INPUT DETECTED!!).
PS2
Logitech 5:1 speakers.
Brand new V+ box.
Also I would like to plug my laptop into the TV and use it in conjunction with the speakers but if I plug it in it all goes wrong.

PLEASE HELP. Cheers.
First of all we'd need to know either the model numbers or possibly even better what connections your kit has.

Regarding the DVD/Video what are you hoping to record from? you have a V+ which is a recorder that has I believe 3 tuners, this can record 2 things and watch another so are you hoping to record normal off the air air TV using the daewoo or use it to back up V+ recordings you want to keep? Is the Daewoo a DVD recorder or player only?

I'd connect the V+ to the TV via HDMI if your new fangled TV has it :)

PS2 you have several options for connecting. Either an RGB scart lead or a component lead would be my choice.

For the sound to the logitech speakers. What connections do they have, any optical or coax digital connections?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom