1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is driving me nuts!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Poolsharkie69, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I have the Yammy 1500. I noticed today ...that while watching a dvd at supper time...the Zone 2 and Zone 3 Red indicators were on in the front display. I checked through the manual and that indicates that zone 2 and zone 3 are set to power on. Well I only use this amp in one room and don't want 2 or 3 set to on. ANyone have this amp? I cannot figure out how to turn those indicators off....? Any ideas guys?

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Does your amp have an off button?

Sorry :D

3. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that helped alot...not

:suicide:

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You can turn off Zone 2 and 3 through the onscreen menu. All is explained on page 67 of your manual under Zone set.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't have a Yamaha myself, but since you've got the manual to hand...

Try and find the section about "A/B speaker switching". You'll only want speakers A on, there's usually a well-labeled button for this on the amps fascia if the remote isn't playing along.

Zone 3 will be the multi-room zone so try the manual for turning on multi-room speakers, that should find you the menu which you need to shut it off.

Not categorical help but it's the best I can do :)

6. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Page 67 of my manual talks about the learning function of the remote. Using codes for controlling . I have the manual from Canada since I live in Canada. If I turn to page 77 it talks about zone sets there. I have gone through the OSD and set the zone 2 and zone 3 amps to off. The front display still shows them in red.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Get the crayons out and scribble them out :D Sorry, couldn't resist :)

You could try to see if a local store has one and try to switch them off there. If they work, then could be a fault with your amp (although a VERY minor one)

8. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well yes I could use crayons. Yes it could be considered a minor fault. But if you are not using something (zones) woudln't u like them to be switched off so you can have the expensive piece of equip u are using act the way it should?

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've just had a quick look at the Yam manual and I think you need to go to the SET MENU. There are 3 sections for using Zones there (ZONE SET, ZONE2 SET, ZONE3 SET).

I think you need to go to ZONE2 SET and ZONE3 SET, then cycle through the options. Hopefully there'll be an option to switch them off totally :)

10. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have been all through the options. I find the option for setting the zones. Zone 2 amp is set to off and I find no mention of zone 3 turning it off. After I do that and set it. The lights still appear. I checked my connections and nothing is plugged into those hookups. I am starting to get more frustrated. I know it is minor but does anyone with a yammy have any ideas? Thanks for the help so far guys.

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    why not contact Yamaha?

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Sometimes the tiniest things can be the most annoying. My advice would be to contact the dealer or Yamaha, as it seems you have already done the obvious things. It could be that these can't be switched off, maybe red signifies off while another colour signifies on perhaps? The only ones to know for sure would be Yamaha.

13. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was also bothered by the Zone 2/3 indicators (on my RX-V2500) and found a way to turn them off, but it was not the easiest. Red does signify on by the way, each indicator has only one color.

First you need to switch the remote controller into its expanded amp library, essentially opening up more options for controlling Zone 2 and 3 separately. The procedure for doing this is very vaguely described in the manual, but here's how it's done:

First, try pressing up on the select buttons next to the display on the remote. If it displays "Zone 2", you can skip the below step-by-step instructions.

1.) Set the slider on the side of the remote to "Source".

2.) Press one of the input keys on the remote. This is normally done when changing the codes used to control the device on that input and is irrelevant in this case, but has to be done anyway. Since I didn't want to risk changing the remote codes for something I use, I chose "A", which by default controls Yamaha LaserDisc players. I don't know if it changed from this procedure.

3.) Press and hold the "Learn" button with a straightened paper clip or the like for 3 seconds. The display will start flashing between the input you selected and the code library used for that input, for instance A > L: LD > A > L: LD. Don't let this confuse you.

4.) Press left or right on the remote repeatedly to step between controller libraries until you get to "L:AMP", which is the library for controlling the receiver itself.

5.) Now to change the actual code set used for controlling the receiver from the library.
    Press Enter. The display will show which code set is active, which by default is "2000". If it's a display unit from a store, it may however be "2002".
    If it says "2000", you should change it to "2001".
    If it says "2002", you should change it to "2003".
    Change it by entering the new code using the numeric buttons.

6.) Press Enter to enable the code set you just selected.

7.) Press and hold the Learn button again to return the remote controller to normal operation.

Intuitive, isn't it? :zonked:

If you're wondering what the 2000/2001/2002/2003 junk is about, here's the deal: You can set up two receivers and their remotes to respond independently of one another, hence there are two extra codes. If you set the wrong one, the receiver will think the remote signals are meant for another Yamaha receiver and ignore them.

Now, you can step through Zone 2 and 3 using the up select button next to the display on the remote. When having selected one of these zones on the remote, you can turn off power to that zone by pressing the standby button on the remote.

The problem is you have to turn Zone 2 and 3 off every time you power on the receiver. I think it would make the most sense if Zone 2 and 3 were off by default, but I guess there's a good reason for everything. :rolleyes:

14. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow...thanks for the post. I actually got off the phone with the yammy dude here in Canada and he gave me the exact same intructions. He told me that the only time zone 2 and 3 will come on is if you use the power button on the amp itself. If you always use the remote they will stay turned off. Gonna try this when I get home in about 5 hours...:( damn government jobs. Thanks again.

15. leewiltshire666

leewiltshire666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 1500 does the same thing, I just press the Pure Direct button on the remote twice to get rid of the zone 2 & 3 lights.

16. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thank's Lee this fixed it for me :D