This has always troubled me...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveH, Aug 3, 2004.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi all,

I've recently started burning my own home made films onto DVD. I'm having teething problems but this compatibility issues between my DVD...

Anyway, what bothers me is last year my mate brought round a DVD he had acquired from a dodgy market. He put it in my Player (old Sony DVD S7000) and it played perfectly.

What confused me was why did it work? My player is old and refuses to play DVD-R or DVD+R correctly, so what media was this dodgy disc that my mate had bought?

It played in everything. Surely it could not have been a similar one to 'proper' ones we buy in shops. So what media was it, I can't believe that this dodgy market stall is knocking out anything more expensive that DVD-R/DVD+R.

Am I missing something? I'm aware of different brands that may play better, but through my own research, I've discovered it makes little difference on my player.

Any help appreciated, it means my old player may be able to play some of my home films.

Thanks.

2. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Dave,
    I use a sony s7700 and it works fine with -/+R that I have created using various branded and unbranded media.
    I'm no expert but I've caught myself out before by not finalising a +R recording done on my Philips recorder.....maybe it's just something as simple as this??
    Have you tried +RW and maybe if you posted what you're actually using to create/edit and burn it may help others offer advice?
    See here for comments from people with your player playing home burnt dvds:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=439&Search=Search&#comments
    Hope this helps,
    Andrew

4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    888 Thanks for the reply and link. That has answered my question!

AndrewMellor - Thanks, I had visited that site prior to posting and I had determined that the s7000 is not disireable for DVD-R or DVD+R.

In answering your questions I am finalising the recording, I am using a LITEON SOHW 832S PC Burner. I use DVD Workshop 2.0 to burn the disc. The closest I got was getting a DVD+R to work but no sound. No sound is due to the fact the player cannot do MPEG1 audio. I will try with AC3 sound or PCM but I will struggle to fit all my content on the DVD.

5. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Andrew, I too have a Sony 7700 and have been mostly happy with it. I've had no problems playing burnt Verbatium DVD-R's but occasionally it spits out commercial discs like "Road Trip" which it declares "C-13" error. I looked this up and the manual says it's a dirty disc but it usually isn't, have you experienced anything similar ?

Muzza1 :thumbsup:

6. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The S7700 was a slight upgrade from Sony's previous S7000, I don't think they changed much, centred the drawer and DTS.

It's a shame if I struggle playing -R +R because I really adore this player and still think it's picture puts a lot of players today to shame.

7. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Dave/Muzza,
    Yes I too love my Sony player and I don't doubt that it can still hold it's own among many of the newer players and the build quality is just in a different league!!
    I have it connected via component to a Fujitsi42" ALiS plasma and the picture with reference quality discs is superb i.e. my latest film: Black Hawk Down Superbit deluxe (courtesy of Sigismund on these very forums:))

Re:the C-13 error, I had this on one disc which was antz, after searching the web I got a link where someone else had the same problem and used the chapter select to get the film to play ok....this worked with my player as well. Some time after this I ended up getting a liteon burner which I've copied many films and all have played fine.....apart from 1, again off to the web and this time got a few hit's that quoted dirty or marked disc which it wasn't, I also came across a few hits for fixing the problem by performing an auto head adjust to recalibrate the laser to the specific disc type, ok no problem I thought and that evening tried it. To say the result was a disaster is an understatement, after trying to perform this I lost the ability to recognise any disc!!!! To be honest it was all pretty straightforward to follow on screen menus but it just wouldn't finish the cycle, I just got 'error occurred'
    After much heartache I got the service centre to have a look (£30 non-refundable but knocked off any repair) and got told the laser was shot. The repair was £112 for new laser to be fitted, after much thinking I decided I did love the player enough to fork out another £82 (rather than consider anything the wife would have allowed me to buy i.e. sub £300 as well!!) I really don't regret having it repaired and I'm glad I did but can't help thinking that it would still have been ok had I not tried the adjustment. The service centre told me that when calibrating more power is sent through the laser and this could have blown it??? - Also they said it had done over 2000 hours which isn't uncommon for laser to go down, I remember seeing the hours of dvd/cd laser use in the menus which you can check while in there.
    It's also slightly embarassing when explaining you were messing about in service menus before it stopped working!!
    I'll attach a link but try it at your own peril...if it's only on the odd few discs I'd consider trying to live with it.
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/trouble-shootings/0007-Sony-dvd-player.html
    You could also try directly accesing chapters instead of letting it autoplay as I did with the Antz film.
    Let us know how you get on.....
    Andrew

8. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like we travelled the same road !! The player was new,multiregion from Techtronics but outside the warranty when this problem occurred so had two choices, send the player back for a look see/repair which involved courier services or take it along to my local Sony approved repairer. I chose the latter and likewise he blamed a low output laser he said the repair would cost approx £200 with parts and labour plus a small VHS repair. I supplied the problem discs and after the repair when tested the disc still froze/didn't play now I know they played on a friends player and my own PC so the weren't at total fault. The repairer offered to replace my old laser and only charge for part-labour and the look see. I decided to keep the new laser and thus far I've had less problems, the bad discs I've copied using DVD shrink and they now play ok. My only query is if I were to replace the 7700 with a new Tosh X32 for instance would it be worth keeping the sony in my set up for playback of either DVD's or CD's.

Muzza1 :smashin:

9. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Andrew, what model LITEON are you using?

What brand of blank media have you personally found good results with in the past?

10. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi DaveH,
    It's a liteon LDW-851S that I use in an external usb2 enclosure, it actually came with some unbranded dvd-r and memorex +r both of which play fine in my player.
    Since then the wife has picked up some Bulkpaq white label +r's (use +r's now because I have a philips dvdr75) that I'm currently using and these also work fine in the Sony!
    To be honest the only disc I've had problems playing was the one which gave me the c-13 error then stopped working and that was one of the 50 unbranded that came with it
    The only problem I seem to get is the burn failing with the liteon when writing the lead in, tells me there's been a scsi error or something, searching the net I found a few hits where people with external drives in enclosures were having the same error so I just put up with it...if it's down to the media I'm not paying over the top anyway so not a major hassle really.
    I use Nero6 for burning.
    If you want I could send you a film that I've backed up for myself with the liteon (-r) and maybe something burnt in the Philips (+r) for you to try?
    Let me know,
    Regards...Andrew

11. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Andrew thanks for the offer. Very kind of you, but a colleague at work lent me a DVD+R film that he burnt and it worked on all my hardware in my house including my Sony!!!

Good. However I think my LITEON SOHW 832S may be at fault because I got a DVD-R and DVD+R as freebies with the player. I was unable to spin the DVD-R in my Sony, but was able to burn the DVD+R to play in my Sony. However, it would not play in any other DVD ROM, player that I tried it on. Very peculiar.

I think the problem lies with either my burner or DVD Workshop 2.0. I think it's more likely the former as DVD Workshop 2.0 has had a lot of praise.

So my friend at work is going to lend me a blank DVD+R the same brand as the burnt film he leant me which worked(Packard Bell). I will burn a film to this and see what the results are, it if does not play in all the players I have and his player then it's my LITEON being fussy.

I hope it's not the LITEON and just the media because it really is a good burner on paper as it does Dual Layer.

I heard somewhere else that the LITEON can be a bit fussy...

12. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It worked! It worked!

Many coasters later and I got a film onto DVD+R managed to play in everything so far.
    !!!

13. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Glad to hear you got it sorted:)