this event is also in HD on channel 107 / 108

davidguest

Standard Member
Reaction score
free view recently turned on BBC news & Al Jazeira HD channels on my local transmitter,

BBC1, 2 & others have been on HD for several months

now, every time I go to BBC News on channel 80 ( 'cos I like the red button interaction) , I have to get rid of the change to HD on 107 Yes.no option that appears EVERY time.

it is really annoying. I Google it- for Sony Bravia TV & find a history of Sony , Free view blaming each other + a claim by Sony that they fixed it back in 2012 ! all the relevant chat in other forums is 2013 or earlier.

I don't Have TV on ethernet, finding and adding the correct firmware upgrade via USB will be a pain, but I strongly suspect I have latest Sony firmware anyway. I had the TV online until a few months back, then realised we never used the conenction, because via PS3 is much better!

anyone else experiencing this or have fixed it. I am at GL52 , my transmitter is Ridge Hill ( I think)
my TV is Bravia KDL 37EX723
software version PKG4.021EUA-0104

UPDATE - I got cross enough to do a temporary rewire, put the TV back onto a router cable, & and do an online update. it has NOT fixed the problem!

Sony's latest software is
Name: PKG4.022EUA
Date released: 19/12/2013

Last edited:
My Panasonic TV doesn't nag like that - it just tells me on the info bar (briefly) that a particular channel is "also in HD" (when the individual programme is flagged by the broadcasters as HD, it seems).
<tic on> Change brand of TV? :rotfl: <tongue-in-cheek mode off>

This is not a Freeview issue though, rather it is Sony's implementation of the feature to flag HD up for the viewer's attention.

My Panasonic TV doesn't nag like that - it just tells me on the info bar (briefly) that a particular channel is "also in HD" (when the individual programme is flagged by the broadcasters as HD, it seems).
<tic on> Change brand of TV? :rotfl: <tongue-in-cheek mode off>

This is not a Freeview issue though, rather it is Sony's implementation of the feature to flag HD up for the viewer's attention.
i thought it would be Sony's fault.

what is worse is that it repeats the nag every time it detect a program change, & it counts each hour of news as a new program. so you can turn on at 5 to the hour, say no, get nagged again 5 minutes later.

what is worse is that it repeats the nag every time it detect a program change, & it counts each hour of news as a new program. so you can turn on at 5 to the hour, say no, get nagged again 5 minutes later.

I think the remote may have slipped from my hand and irreparably damaged the set if it had been mine (and I used it how you do).

The Freeview spec is to signal if the programme is in HD or not (i.e. SD) via the EPG data - HD sets (with the HD channel tuned and stored) can use that info to alert the viewer ... I'm not sure if the D-book has guidelines on how that works, but it ought to time out after a few seconds I'd have thought and not need a button press to clear.

Have a look in the Menu options of the TV to see if there are any options to reduce banner display times or other similar alert times... http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/faq/KDL-37EX723 might help???

if you google & read older sony forum posts , you see that folks complained A LOT to Sony when BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD launched. so Sony" fixed it" by suppressing the prompts for those. But they did not future proof their fix. there is a 2012 boast of we listened - we fix it - problem solved...

it would not such be an issue if freeview could do the red button interactive stuff on the HD channel, but it can't...

there is nothing in TV menu options and nothing useful on Sony site, + previous experience of Sony online customer services is that you get better advice from your cat !

it would not such be an issue if freeview could do the red button interactive stuff on the HD channel, but it can't...

Red Button on Freeview HD: that will be a BBC technical issue not Freeview ... after all BBC HD services on freesat have the Red Button (just checked on my TV which has dual tuners).

BBC - Blogs - About the BBC - CBBC HD, CBeebies HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD & BBC News HD launch Tuesday 10 December 2013 the last para says they are working on it (although Alix Pryde has now left that post Ariel - Alix Pryde to leave BBC for Vodafone )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom