This Continuing Debate Baffles me....

monitor2002

Standard Member
HD-DVD V Blue-ray.........

This is my first post on this forum......and feel compelled to state that I don't really give a damn which format comes out on top......am not at all technical...but I do appreciate good quality.......

Have a Panasonic 50" plasma screen.....Denon AVC-A1SR Amplifier.....Denon DVD-A1.....and KEF THX 7.1 speakers.....all getting on a bit now but still superb home cinema kit......

Bought a Toshiba HD-XA1 about a month back along with a dozen or so movies.....and am really pleased with my purchase.......xcellent quality....and inexpensive compared too my other equipment.....and it looks and sounds just stunning.....and yes...the xtra cash for the XA1 is worth it....

Was also prepared to buy a Blue-ray player but it appears it's not really ready for the market at present.....so all the signs for it are .....jam tomorrow?...well that just don't cut it for me .....would want my not inconsiderable investment to as good as .....if not better than HD-DVD.....when I pay for it.....now...not later.....

So why is all this debate?......

Sony will or won't come up with the goods?.....at a later date....

So untill then....HD-DVD is out in front.....so why even argue about it?........

Sure PS3 will get a massive amount of Blue-ray players out there but it still does not make it a better format than HD-DVD....as it stands....and surely this is what this debate should be about......Quality......not Quantity.....

RobDickinson

Thing is , as it stands, there is no debate on quality.

As you've said HD-DVD wins, hands down, for now. And ultimatly the formats will be fairly indistinguishable (25 vs 30gig VC1).

Right now BR doesnt make sense, on quality or price.

rover2002

Novice Member
Debate is good ie, VC-1 'vs' MEPG2 or player function ect. .
What amuses me are the people that have only seen the paper specs, and then go on to post and make threads proclaiming that format the winner, you see this on all the forums though.
As for the OP 'HD-DVD 'vs' BR' i'v only seen TFE on the sammy and to say it looked awful for a high def format is an understatement.I recently bought TPS on HD-DVD and have to say i was unimpressed with how inconsistant the sharpness of the pic is.So there some stinkers on both sides (ok so alot more on the BR side but hey. . .)but things should change for BR once they switch to VC-1.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
So untill then....HD-DVD is out in front.....so why even argue about it?........
I entirely agree. Unfortunately the forum has one or two members who have never even seen a high def player let alone any discs who read something once of a littlebitofknowledge.com and now spout out specifications which have no bearing on reality. :thumbsdow They haven't invested in BluRay but they are trying to encourage others to do so...

Like the OP I am ready and waiting to adopt BluRay to complement my HD DVD XA1. However, for the same reasons, the money is staying locked in my account until the format is ready.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
How is it worth it? Exactly the same machine inside.
Because once you've slumped into your movie watching chair and realise you haven't shut the machine's front door you can just pres a button to close it. :D It's the little things in life...

Seriously though it does look a little better than the A1 IMHO. They've made a little more effort to hide the fact it's actually a PC.

rover2002

Novice Member
OMG the A1 remote !!!!! i need a torch to see the dam thing in a dimly lite room!:rolleyes:

lfletcher

The XA1 remote isnt much better even though it has a backlight. I'd be generous if I said it was random when it decided to light up.

richard plumb

we're not arguing about which is currently better quality (at least I hope we aren't).

We may be arguing about which may ultimately win, or whether they'll both live together.

The fact that bluray has gotten off to such a poor start, yet has more industry backing, just makes for a more interesting fight :devil:

Nic Rhodes

rover2002 said:
What amuses me are the people that have only seen the paper specs, and then go on to post and make threads proclaiming that format the winner, you see this on all the forums though.
This is the one thing I hate about the internet is people rehashing opinions of others many times over. This forum is far from alone with 'experts' who have never even seen the VP or HD DVD player or whatever equipment they talk about and people then spend their hard owned money following their advice, sometime it is fine, othertimes..... it is not. There is no substitute for practical experience.

However a certain amount of debate is necessary, especially when expectations are high and there have been major delays and promises have not yet been fully realised. General information about subjects and software is always useful, and should be encouraged from all at all times.

But I agree about HD DVD players are in the lead at the moment. But the threads we write now are are not just read now, they will also be read in 6 months time, and although the players may have changed, different conclusions may being pulled from the broader information base that they then have access to. Firmware 1.0 was none too hot on HD DVD but we don't criticise the player because of that now, things evolved and changed for the better. We can see the major firmware changes and see good things in the player and it's support that were not there in 1.0. We see this because we have access to the debate from both then and now. So there is a past, a present and a future to consider.

TFE is a howler, others are better...:eek:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
We may be arguing about which may ultimately win, or whether they'll both live together.
Do we care about that either? I think I stopped worrying about that round about March when I decided the only way I would ever be happy would be to buy both formats at launch. Naturally common sense has meant I have delayed my BluRay purchase until the problems are resolved - but I will buy ASAP.

In the end of the day if one format 'fails' the discs will still work on the player for years after - by which time special edition, better-quality re-releases will have occured - indeed I'll probably even be replacing the discs of the winning format (if there is one).

Personally though I can't see outright victory going to either camp. I think we'll see dual format players at some stage: these will either come from middle companies looking to profit from both camps (Samsung with the TSST links perhaps, LG might rekindle their dual format plans etc) or from the 'losing' camp developing a dual format player.

rover2002

Novice Member
Nic Rhodes said:
Not good is it!!
I keep putting of getting a uni remote, but i think the time really has arrived.:suicide:

richard plumb

Ooh, I'd better get the popcorn on, this could get interesting....

BTW Rasczak, I don't mind buying both formats (I'll have a PS3 and either X360 add-on or A1), but I don't want to buy loads of both discs only to need to replace one or other set due to them being obsolete. I suppose they'll be around for a few years, after which I can probably stream them on demand in HD anyway. But I'm just wary.

SAH

Banned
RobDickinson said:
Thing is , as it stands, there is no debate on quality.

As you've said HD-DVD wins, hands down, for now. And ultimatly the formats will be fairly indistinguishable (25 vs 30gig VC1).

Right now BR doesnt make sense, on quality or price.
I'm struggling to see how there can be a debate at all, other than for those interested in importing, which is a tiny minority of a small section of interested consumers.

For those who are waiting for the UK/European launch what is there to talk about, many of the major points being discussed will be cleared up, one way or the other, by Christmas 2006.

I see no sense in bashing or hyping a particular format that is yet to launch in this country, which still have so many question marks and developments to come.

So much is about to change in the very near future.

Trending threads

Top Bottom