1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This close to buying Panny 37 Viera, but.....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by InDallas, Apr 6, 2005.

1. InDallas

InDallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was talking to some executives at one of the major big box electronics companies and they even told me it will only last for a couple years. Also, burn in is an issue, but the picuture is great.

My second choice is going to be the Sony 32 HDTV Tube. Mainly because of the reliability and great picture.

Don't really know what to do. If I spend the money on the panasonic am I taking a chance with it going out soon?

Burn in- I see so many conflicting things on this. Most of my TV will be viewed in standard format and the black bars will be on the size.

Any suggestions?

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,833
    That statement (and your name) lead me to the conclusion your in the US :D (sharp as a tack ,me) .
    So long as you turn the settings down out of the box , the plasma should last you as long as you like . My Hitachi has been used for main viewing since I got it about a year ago . All different ratios watched , lots of kids tv with lots of logos .Only has 1 slight scare with regards to burn in , but it was only image retention after I paused the opening credits of MIIB ( night sky , stars , WILL SMITH is 8inch white letters :eek: ) but is was gone within a few minutes of watching the film .

Did the execs tell you it would need re gassing as well :D

Can't comment on the Sony , don't have HD CRT over here

All the best
    John

3. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have the 37" Viera and have not burnt it.
    I can honestly say I did all the WRONG things after it was plummed in, spent the first 2 days watching it in Dynamic mode, the first 3 hours of viewing was my daughter watching the disney chan with their bright red logo in bottom corner and on dynamic, no burn or retention. I have watched 2 footy matches back to back with sky logos on and no burn or retention and as for lasting only a couple of years well cant comment there as mine is only 3 months old but many have had plasmas on here for some time and had no issues. Also if you look at the expected life spans of the viera some 60000 hours then I doubt wether you will see its life end more likely will have changed to something esle before then.
    Most programs are broadcast widescreen or panaramic nowadays so black bars shouldnt be prob, in fact I have never seen blackbars on my Viera in 3 months, I have it set to auto and it fits piccy very nice

Just my views from my experience. Its a great TV and enoyable to watch

4. InDallas

InDallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! and yes good old Dallas. As in where all the shi7 kicking cowboys live. Lol

No they did not tell me about the Gas :) I actually just talked to a guy at work who has one and he said he thinks the DLP's are much better then the 37 panny plasma.

Don't you hate not being able to make up your mind?

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    i'm not sure :)

6. InDallas

InDallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Damn your british wit! :D

7. BigGanja

BigGanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    LOL
    I had a link about the current Sony situation, sorry I lost it
    but maybe some of you is aware of the fact the higher ups has just been removed (Ken Kutaragi and Noboyuki Idei)cause they f-u-c-k everything up and a welsh-american is the new CEO

I'm not going too much into tech stuff but to sum up that article, Sony, as of now, is just style over quality
    their product are defective (hell just think about the PSP drama)

anyway, in case you wanted to get an HD model:
    last time I checked american panasonic site It states vieraHD can 720p only via PC input

laterS :)

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    :rotfl:

9. InDallas

InDallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is Viera FD not HD so it should only do 480P

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    hang on a minute here...........Which bloody viera are you taliking about......in europe there are 3 floating around............at 37"

11. InDallas

InDallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Panasonic Viera TH-37PD25U/P 37-inch EDTV Plasma Display With ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners and CableCARD Slot