This cabling is correct, right?

F

Famished

Just setup my new system.

I have a coaxial cable running from my DVD player to my Amp, and a scart cable running to the TV.

Everything seems to work fine and I get great sound from watching DVD's.

However in the manual of my amp it says I should connect my DVD player to my amp using a video to video cable and a phono cable for left and right sound. Am I right in thinking that the coaxial cable does both video and audio and is the only connection I need between my amp and DVD player.

Famished said:
Am I right in thinking that the coaxial cable does both video and audio and is the only connection I need between my amp and DVD player.

Nope ,your wrong thinking that :D , it only does audio.However,there is nothing wrong with the way your hooked up :smashin:
atb
John

AV amps will switch both audio and video, which means that when you switch between (say) Sky and DVD, it will switch both the picture and sound inputs with the single remote. Most amps won't handle scart connections - you need to convert from scart to s-video or composite video using a scart adaptor lead.

so am I getting the best quality and sound from my setup or should I use a digital optical cable from my DVD player to my amp.

oh also I want 5.1 from my TV so I have a stero to stero cable from my TV to my amp under video 2 and it transforms it to 5.1 . That is correct isn't it?

Nick_uk I dont understand. I dont have sky only a DVD player. my sony amp does not have a scart scoket on the back. what would a scart adaptor lead do that my setup does not do already.

Famished said:
so am I getting the best quality and sound from my setup or should I use a digital optical cable from my DVD player to my amp.

No need to change to optical , coax is doing the job just as well :thumbsup:

Famished said:
oh also I want 5.1 from my TV so I have a stero to stero cable from my TV to my amp under video 2 and it transforms it to 5.1 . That is correct isn't it?

You will not get 5.1 from the TV , best you will achieve is Pro logic or prologic II , but it sounds like you have got that connected correctly as well (stereo phono leads ,normally red and white)

John

Famished said:
Nick_uk I dont understand. I dont have sky only a DVD player. my sony amp does not have a scart scoket on the back. what would a scart adaptor lead do that my setup does not do already.

If you only have one "box" connected to the TV, your existing setup is fine. When you add another box, you will appreciate the delights of video switching :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom