• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

"This app will now restart to free up more memory"

Seamail57

Novice Member
Just bought a new LG 55 inch 4K HDR TV, the LG 55UJ670V.

When watching YouTube clips (particularly those in 4K or HDR), I'm getting a message that says:-

"This app will now restart to free up more memory"

The TV is running WebOS 3.5 , version 3.6.0-505 and has all the latest updates.

I have turned off Quick Start+ and deleted any unwanted apps but the problem keeps happening.

Any ideas? Are LG aware of this and if so, anyone know if there's a fix in the pipeline?

wxman2003

Prominent Member
Try unplugging tv, then depress and hold power button on the tv (not the remote) for about 25 seconds. Plug tv back in and try again. This acts like a cold reboot and clears the RAM.

stanleeper

Novice Member
I have exact same issue with LG 43UK630U-ZA, YouTube in particular gives this memory restart error. LG so far have dodged the issue, suggested I contact YouTube as it is their apps problem!
No impressed but from what I can gather LG support is dire and their software updates poor like many so called Smart TV's. Tried the above suggestions to power off/on to no avail.
Did discover that holding down the Home button on the standard remote pulls up a screen showing recently used apps which can be closed so have done that and waiting to see if it frees up memory enough for YouTube to work.
My 2012 Toshiba was a good example of how little regard TV manufacturers have for consumers, they stopped sofware updates/support after about a year and gradually all the 'smart' features became redundant so I just bought a Roku Stick for the smarts. At least the Toshiba could record easily to usb storage stick which the 2017 LG has problems with, as for the lauded WebOS - rubbish!

SeeMoreDigital

Prominent Member
I see his happening from time-to-time after accessing either the Amazon, Netflix or NOW TV apps, which would suggest that this issue is not solely related to accessing YouTube content... Indeed, I don't even have the YouTube app installed. I've never used it...

Cheers

mathew2k

Standard Member
That's why I prefer to use a media box like Fire Stick etc... We are in 2017 and nearly into 2018. Yet, TV manufacturers still can't sort of "smart apps!". Don't even bother with the apps on the TV. Just use a media box etc... As it will give you a better experience than the one built into the TV as they (the TV manufacturers) just aren't bothered!.

dave1956a

Prominent Member
If only a media box was made that supported
Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos
HDR 10
Netflix & Amazon apps (HDR 10 & Dolby Vision) Support
Passthrough frame rate /size (No scaling option)

I would buy one tomorrow - so far I have yet to see one with all the above

SeeMoreDigital

Prominent Member
.. Just use a media box etc... As it will give you a better experience than the one built into the TV as they (the TV manufacturers) just aren't bothered!.
I could not 'disagree' more... The built-in apps are great :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom