1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This a good price on a Pannasonic Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Oakey, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, a friend of my boss is selling a Panasonic TH-42PWD3 for £2500, is this a good price? He has about 4 to sell, says they were used somewhere for 2 months before being stuck in storage until now. It has all the connections at the back (is this the tuner card?) composite, svideo, PC, etc, etc. I've looked on the net but couldn't really find much information, anyone have any info? Thanks.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The D3 is a great unit. Will only accept PAL prog in RGB form not in component. This is not a good price though. A forum member picked one up for £900 about two weeks ago.

Gordon

3. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    £900?!?!?! That's insanely cheap!! Any idea where? Was this off a private sale or from an online store, if you have any links as to where to get them cheaper that would be great, I can save my boss getting ripped off.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Same thing as your boss is looking at. Ex-show device used for 2 months then put away. Was a private sale I think. One off. Look in the "plasma's out for the lads" thread as I think he may have posted there.

I'd think that £1500- £2000 or thereabouts is probably closer to the mark for a device 3 generations before the current one. It's a great unit though, if it works.

Gordon

5. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, it works, we plugged a lapto into it and ran Apocalypse Now. Don't know if it comes with the tuner box or not.

6. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't you get the current (5th gen) model for about £3500 brand new with warranty? I know it's a grand more but I would definitely pay extra for brand new with warranty and a newer model.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    oakey

Its amazing how many second hand displays supposedly only do one or two months, weeks, days, hours work!!!

The TH-42PWD3BX is arguably the best for video of the Panasonic displays - watch those posts fly in on that one :)

Price wise please remember the seller probably paid around £4500.00 ex vat per unit so if he/she is not aware of current pricing probably they think £2.5k is a good price.

Id assume the units are fitted with the BNC Terminal Board (Composite or S-Video plus RGB or YUV Component) - the VGA input is built into the display; there's very little chance anyone would use a display with the external tuner on a commercial install.

If you are not purchasing all four units I'd want to test the unit you are buying and ensure you get the same serial number delivered or take it away with you - just in case one of the four has any screen burn damage.

Assuming the display has all of its packaging and knowing you can pick up a new TH-42PWD5BX for around £3,200.00 (incl vat) I'd offer around £1,300.00 (ex vat) for one of these units.

Also please remember you will require a wall bracket or pedestal stand as there are no feet supplied with these displays.

Best regards

Joe

8. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The TH-42PWD3BX is arguably the best for video of the Panasonic displays - watch those posts fly in on that one

Joe, I'm curious as to why that is your opinion on this display. I don't dispute it, in fact I hope you are right. The reason I ask is I maybe able to pick up an ex-display unit (about 6 months on display) for £999.00.

The model is a 42pw3. Is this the consumer model of the pwd3 you mention, if so would it also be arguably the best for video of the panasonic displays:D . Or is it inferior and why.

I will be able to demo so apart from screen burn and dead/stuck pixels is there anything else I should be looking for. How do you see the number of hours use. I've searched the forum for the specs of this unit but with no joy as it is considerably older now. heard somewhere that its contrast ratio is 300:1. Is this seriously going to hinder the deep blacks panasonic are now famous for.

Gordon you mention it can only take PAL progressive through RGB (I haven't a clue what that is adn if my Denon could do it). I've got a Denon DVD-A1 modified for PAL Progressive and multiregion and a Sky + box. I was going to run the dvd through component and sky + through the vga with a converter that I keep hearing about (is it John Sims). Would this be best or is there a better option.

Finally speakers and stand will the current Panasonic speakers and stand work with this unit. I was looking to get the Oval stand for its small footprint. I think the model is ST-10 but can anyone confirm this and if it works with it. If so, where's the best place to get one.

Sorry for the lengthy questions.I just want to make sure I get this right. Cheers in advance.

P.S At £999 for a sixth month old display, would you buy it.

Thanks again.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Pal Prog on D3 and how.....

The 625P(576P) progressive signal that is stuck out by your DVD player is in the form of a component signal, Y Pr Pb. The plasma will not recognise this resolution in this format. You need to have it transcoded to RGB colourspace. This is achievable with a device such as KeyDigitals COMPONENT to RGB transcoders (available through KeyDigital dealers in UK). Some DVD players (noteably Arcam's when fitted with progressive output board option) can have an RGsB handset hack done to them, negating the need for the external transcoding box.

Hope this is of use.

If you can use the silver unit without the tuner box then £1000 seems a steal, as long as it works.

Gordon

10. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks Gordon. I'm going into work late;) so I'll be having a demo shortly. Does anyone have any idea about the stand and speakers.

11. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was the lucky one who got a used Panasonic TH-42PWD3E for £900, that was just the display, remote control, manual and box, no tuner, cables or anything. If you don't believe what they tell you about the hour use, you can check it in the service menu, see the following thread : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66012 for details. Mine showed about 190hrs when I bought it and that was matching what the seller told me.
    Don't know if anybody would be able to fake this hour counter... however, I'm still very pleased with mine.

12. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks Goliath, thats very helpful. Although if I can get it now I will as I've had a demo and could find nothing wrong with it. I'm still trying to find out if the ty-st10 oval stand will work with this 42 as some places say its for the 50 only.

13. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ Tim Ashdown:
    Both stands TY-ST05 and TY-ST10 will work for all 42" and 50" Panasonic models of series 3, 4 and 5.

14. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Goliath, You're a gem!
    thanks mate.

15. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for all of your help guys. Unfortunately someone beat me to it so I'm still in the land of CRT. I'm gutted. I've learnt a great deal from you all though so thanks again.