this 30D is on fire!

M-C-P-M

Established Member
Reaction score
Got my 30D today and had a chance to take only a couple of shots but i like what i'm seeing so far:thumbsup:

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

fire6.jpg

any thoughts?

Well exposed, fire is a tricky one to get the exposure right.

I want a 30D right now actually - anyone got one they dont want?

#2 for the sheer clarity and #3 for the impact. You can really feel the fury.
Maybe crop a bit tighter on the sides and centralise it a bit.
This 30D is a cracker.

Wow!!
I can feel the heat..:cool:

As stated above the clarity and impact are evident:What lens are you using? Exif says you shot them at 60mm

You will find you can start shooting right away coming from the 350D,
As time goes on you discover why the 30D is an even better camera
Congrats

I really love the colours and texture of the flames in the third one - possibly because it fills so much of the frame. I find it quite mesmerising and can almost see it moving.

Out of interest, what lens did you use for these shots?

Cheers.

Number 2 is my favorite.

The logs look and feel red hot...you having your bonfire night early then :D

I'll take a punt on the 24-105?

Bearing in mind the camera seems to have been in one of the auto-exposure modes with matrix metering it's done a sterling job.

Wow!!
I can feel the heat..:cool:

As stated above the clarity and impact are evident:What lens are you using? Exif says you shot them at 60mm

Thanks guys and gals, i was using my Sigma 28-105mm i tend to use it as my walk around lens, I'm going to get the 17-85mm and see what that one is like, but that will be next month now:( the piggy bank i now bare:(

I dont recommend the 17-85. I thought it would be ideal for me, but it's v.poor in comparison to the 17-55. Not v.sharp, build quality is not so good, the zoom extends when the lens points down and the pics just aren't as impressive (though it is a nice step up from the stock 18-55).

The 17-55 rocks! If you can, save up for another month - it'll be worth it!!!

I dont recommend the 17-85. I thought it would be ideal for me, but it's v.poor in comparison to the 17-55. Not v.sharp, build quality is not so good, the zoom extends when the lens points down and the pics just aren't as impressive (though it is a nice step up from the stock 18-55).

The 17-55 rocks! If you can, save up for another month - it'll be worth it!!!

I agree that the 17-55 is an L lens in all but name but I suspect you may have had a poor copy of the 17- 85. My zoom stays where it is whichever way the lens is pointing (1 year on)

The 17-55 costs at least £250 more and is made of L grade glass , it should be a better lens for that difference in £ ( enough to get a Sigma 17-70)

However this does not make the 17-85 a poor lens at all (IMO) .
I'm not recomending it as such ( I like it and I'm keeping mine anyhow ), It may not be perfect but it isn't anywhere near as poor as some reviews would suggest in day to day use

I find that its Build quality is actually quite good , Sharpness wide open is Ok centrally though it is somewhat soft at the edges but from 24-75mm sharpness is generally quite fine.
Barrel distortion at 17mm is marked but nothing PS cannot correct.
Together with second generation IS and ring type USM ( Fast quiet accurate AF with FTM focusing) I would say It is rather more than a step up from the kit lens
and
It is possible to get quite sharp images with it, more so with the 30D . I had the 17 -40 L ( Lovely lens that) which has since been stolen , and also a 50mm 1.4 ( amongst others) but I would not say the 17-85 was rubbish next to them.

Certainly If you can afford the 17-55 it is the better lens. If not, ( like with all kit), you can learn to work around the limitations of the 17-85 . I think if one is not Pro and making prints the size of billboards, we can get too involved about sharpness ,AF accuracy ect of these "consumer grade" lenses

This review is a very accurate one and reflects my experience with it
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef-s_17-85_review.html

This is a comparison .. of sorts
http://users.cybercity.dk/~nmb1805/lens_comparision/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom