1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thirteen Days and Infinifilm, a brief look.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by uncle eric, Jul 12, 2001.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recieved and saw this last night.
    On the whole very good indeed. First, a couple of nitpicks.

Actors can sometimes over do the mimicry of people they are playing especially when these roles are based on real life historical characters.
    Check out the overdone arm crossing for instance....

There is also the small matter of Costners accent.
    Costner, who I nearly always like, sounds like he's auditioning for the latest Kentucky Fried Chicken adds with his best Colonel Saunders accent. He must have mistaken deep south for deep fried.

The only other caveat I have is the occasional crossing from colour to black and white and back to colour again.
    Apparently the director, Roger Donaldsons intention was to make the movie look a little more historic by attemting to echo some of the archive photo's they have on record. Not bothersome to me but could be a pain for some.
    Looking at the positive side of this movie, Greenwood and Culp, who (appart from the excessive arm crossing) play the Kennedy brothers to a tee and look great together.

The film, on the whole is well paced and screenplay well thought out.
    Sound in DD is superb throughout while the various Aircraft powering along your screen and over your head sounds fantastic each time.
    The transfer while soft at times (maybe deliberate) is, overall very clean indeed. In fact, this is the first disc I've seen in the last dozen or so that I've viewed with little or no edge enhancement at all.

Infinifilm is another new feature that has been introduced on DVD and 13 Days is the first of its kind with this asset. This feature (if enabled) consists of 'see through' pop ups at various crucial (aka often) stages of the movie and gives info options that can be activated if needed. For example, while the characters in the movie are talking about possibly nuking 'those commies' a pop up is displayed saying 'Learn more about American firepower in the 60's'. The pop up also contains a figure on the right such as 48' (or 48 seconds), indicating the length of this particular bit of info. Press enter to watch this extra, leave it alone if want to pass.

While any feature that does not cost extra (yet) and is not derogatory to disc quality is welcome, I cant really see people settling down to watch the infinifilm enabled version of this film during first viewing. This feature when switched on takes more tea breaks than Bob the builder.
    I would suggest, that you watch the straight version of the movie first, then one day, if you have an eclipse or two to spare, have a go at infinifilm.
    Of course, you might only be interested in certain aspects of the related historical facts, in which case I would recommend that you go directly into the special features menu and bring up any piece of info you wish to fill your head with.
    At least now, with infinifilm you are given the choice.

Eric

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: uncle eric ]

2. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HJ,
    My review takes a lot less time to go through ;)

Eric

4. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Actually Little Nicky R1 was the first title from New Line to have the Infinifilm feature... it is contained as an easter egg

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmy,
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
    Best Wishes
    Eric