THIRD WATCH Fans - Read Me!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, May 26, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Important news, if you like "Third Watch"! The gits at Channel Whore, are going to start showing Season 3, from 10:50am, on Friday 4th June 2004! :mad: This has never been shown in the UK, and starts off with a World Trade Centre 9/11 special!

The reason I'm mad, is because it looks like they're going to be showing the episodes heavily censored for daytime transmission, and also airing them 5 days a week, Mondays through Fridays!

Channel Whore - I really, REALLY hate you!!!! A superb US drama, that has had some really provocative and strong stories, and you're once again ruining it for fans!

Pooch
    (Not a happy bunny! :mad: )

2. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wow, another person who's actually heard of Third Watch !!!1

Great series but not sure exactly how many I've seen of each particular season. The last one TiVo caught for me ended with Bobby getting shot by an old pal. I seem to recal this happened in the bathroom of an appartment ????

Can you enlighten me ?

Cheers

Ian.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've also been watching it. It is surprisingly good. In fact, I made an effort to get to watch it at some point.

The last episode I saw (since I've been moving haven't seen any) was where that fat policeman bedded that foreign girl in the apartment next to him.

Have certainly missed it.

4. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I remember watching the excellent first series a few years back when it was shown on sky one.

Have always looked out for a second season. Has it already been shown on UK tv?

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Channel 4 in the mornings at about 11am I think it was.
    Very enjoyable.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Folks,

1) Series 2 of "Third Watch" has been shown three times now, although the current run, and the last one (which were shown in daytime) were heavily cut for adult content, and some episodes were dropped completely! :mad:

2) General Skanky - the episode you remember dealt with Sully (the cop) falling in love and (eventually, towards the end of Season 2) proposing to Tatiana, (a lovely Russian immigrant), and that they should get married.

3) Ian Gray - The episode with Bobby being shot by his childhood friend (who was now a deeply troubled drug-addict) was from the middle of Season 2.

4) Channel Whore are NOT showing the final Season 2 episode again "... And Zeus Wept" because of adult content, so the penultimate episode will air on Thursday morning, followed by Season 3, Episode 1 on Friday. I'd highly recommend reading the Episode Guide over at TV Tome! (See #5 for the link, below!)

5) For a full, and completely full-of-spoilers synopsis of all of the entire seasons to-date of "Third Watch" just click here.

Enjoy, and don't forget that Season 3 starts on Friday morning!!!! :thumbsup:

Pooch

7. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Third Watch has disappeared from the Digiguide listings :mad: . Friday is listed as a series 2 episode and then nothing next week. Anyone got any further information?

8. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I noticed it had gone from the sky guide too.

Gutted :(

It may have been butchered due to daytime airing, but at least we'd have seen season 3.

Still gutted :(

Matthew

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

Yep, I've confirmed it! The :censored: that are running Channel Whore, have decided to pull Season 3 from transmission, and are - instead - repeating Season 2 Episode 19 "Walking Wounded" - which was originally supposed to have been shown on Tuesday 1st June, just 3 days ago! :mad: So what's been shown, instead for the past three days, instead of "Third Watch"?! :confused:

I swear to God, that I have truly had-it with the incompetents that CWhore meet out to USA dramas! They couldn't schedule their own funerals, if they tried! :mad: :mad:

The :censored: :censored: :censored: !!!! If it's not this show, then it's "NYPD Blue", or "The West Wing" or "ER" or "Without A Trace" that's being screwed-about with! :mad:

Just for once, can't they schedule something, and actually show it, when they promise it will?!

Pooch
    (Not a happy bunny!)

10. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at Digiguide and Season 3 is back on the schedules beginning 21.06 at 10.50. I made the mistake of looking at the next day as well and if the guide is correct we are missing ep 2 and going straight from 1 to 3. I sincerely hope they aren't going to leave half of them out because it leaves me in a quandary as to whether or not to watch :mad:
    Aaaargh
    Chris.

11. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to watch this on Sky One when it was first shown and always kept a lookout for a second season as well. I recently discovered that Channel 4 are showing season 2 and have been watching on this highly erratic Channel on and off for the last several months, as and when they decide to show it. It's a pity Channel 4 aren't showing it late night since it's not suitable for its currently Scheduled times.

another great show treated badly by terrestrial TV! Why is it that quality US TV always gets shafted when inferior UK dramas/soap's/Reality TV dominates the prime time?

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I am absolutely livid now! :mad: :censored: :mad:

Not only are CWhore leaving out episode 2, but they are leaving out episodes 5 and 6 as well! :mad:

These imbeciles need to be immediately BANNED from EVER buying ANY US TV show ever again!

So, from Monday 21st June, CWhore will be airing:
    Season 3 Episode 1, followed by:-
    Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode and Episode 8!

I urge anyone who enjoys US drama to telephone or e-mail CWhore, and complain bitterly about this! They can be phoned on: 0207-396-4444 (and ask for their Duty Office) or e-mail them at: [email protected]

Either way, there is absolutely no need for Season 3 to be shown in a daytime slot, when there are plenty of evening slots available, e.g. Wednesday nights at 10pm (where "ER" and "Frasier" used to be); Thursday nights, after midnight (where "NYPD Blue" finishes on June 24th!), and Friday nights at 9pm (instead of "Friends")!

These idiots have a hell of a lot of explaining to do!

Pooch
    (A very ANGRY bunny!!!!)

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Morning People,

Well, Season 3 has started, and boy are Channel Whore screwing this one up big-time! Heavy-handed censorship, hatchet-job editing, badly-timed ad-breaks inserted here, there and everywhere! :thumbsdow

At least next week (28th June-2nd July inclusive) CWhore are going to be airing episodes 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13, although I expect them to still be cut. :mad:

At this rate, Season 3 will be over by the middle of July, with several episodes not being shown at all! :mad: What makes it even worse, is that in the new "Radio Times", it gets a write-up as "Worth A Watch", and is promoted as being from the creators of "ER" and "The West Wing"!

For missing episode details, just click here please.

Oh well, maybe one day, the show will get a proper DVD release, other than in Japan, where only Season 1 is available. See this page here.

Pooch

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Small addendum to the above post(s) by me:

There's an old, but nonetheless interesting DVD article about the show here.

Pooch

15. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the superb link pooch, are'nt any other cable or satellite chanels showing third watch?

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,648
    Pooch, I taped Mondays 3rd Watch and there was no mention of 9/11 apart from the date and some ambiguous news flashes, and I forgot about it yesterday did CH4 give an explanation why the 2nd episode was not shown?

17. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pooch,

Thanks for the links, very good. I didn't realise that Third Watch was avaiable on DVD. The DVD review page says in the title..

"Popular series again only available in Japan due to Syndication"

Any idea what that means ?

Ian

P.S. Have you got the S1 DVD's ?

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Morning Folks,

Garrett - The episode of "Third Watch" on Monday was Season 3, episode 1, and is entitled "September Tenth". The idea, was to give the general public in the US, how things changed so drastically in 24 hours. (The show depicts the characters having a relatively quiet day, with Sully about to get married, and then at 8:46am the next day, their whole world - and ours too - changed forever. Hence, the wonderfully ambiguous ending, showing the whole emergency services driving off to aid people in the Twin Towers.)

The second episode being dropped, was never explained by C4, but I can only presume that because it partly deals with the aftermath of 9-11, that it was considered too distressing and traumatic for daytime schedules. Also, the character of Alex, is shown loosing her father, in the 9-11 tragedy.

Ian - The reason so many US shows get DVD releases in Japan, before the US or UK, is to do with what is known in the TV-industry as "Syndication".

Essentially, "syndication" is where a series' rights are allowed to be bought by different US TV networks, e.g. Channel 6 in New York, Channel 48 in Washington DC, or Channel 21 in Canada, and they all get the chance to show that series at the same time, even though they may all be showing a) different seasons of the show, b) different episodes of the same season, and/or c) the same episode as another network, but in a different timeslot.

As their is a huge amount of money to be made, by programme makers, by "syndicating" their shows, in this way, they often let their shows be in syndication for as long as possible.

Only once a show (or a particular season of a show) has been put "in moritorium" (or "laid to rest") from the vast majority of US TV networks, will the programme makers then start to decide about home video and DVD releasing.

With the vast majority of popular shows, DVD releases come way down the release schedule, as has happened with "ER", "NYPD Blue" and "Third Watch, which all remain elusive to most US DVD owners. (Admittedly, with "ER" now being on Season 11 in the USA, Warner Bros have just started releasing the earliest seasons to UK and US DVD).

it's all very complex, and with the main networks liek Warners, Fox and CBS, they tend to leave US DVD releases for years, yet European and Japanese regions will often be the first to see a "syndicated" TV show get a home video/DVD release, before the rest of the world, as we in the UK, and those living in Japan, don't have the hassle of "syndication". In the UK and Japan, one channel buys a show, they get the rights to air it, and then the rights expire. In the US, there's hundreds of channels, all over the country, and they are all competing with one another, to show series before others, and get good viewing figures.

Apologies for the long-winded explanation, but I hope it makes sense.

And, last of all, I don't have the Japanese R2 Season 1 DVD's of "Third Watch". I'd like to, but unless Japan releases remaining seasons of the show, I'd rather wait for a better US release, hopefully of all the seasons. I'd hate to start collecting the show on disc, only to find - as Fox appear to have done with "NYPD Blue" in the UK - that they stop after just a couple of releases, and don't give any kind of explanation to fans.

Episode 2's synopsis - "After Time" (Not aired by C4, due to distressing/disturbing content!)
    It's September 21, 2001 and the squads continue to battle through their emotions and their misgivings about their hero status, while working double shifts and spending every free moment at "the pile" searching for the missing; Kim returns to work and teams up with Doc, which allows an emotionally frayed Alex to return to paramedic duty; an exhausted Sully attempts to co-exist with his prospective in-laws while he waits for an opportunity to marry Tatiana.

Episode 5 "He Said, She Said" (Not aired by C4, due to adult content!)
    During a sweep for prostitutes, Faith and Bosco tragically misjudge a sexual encounter between a young woman and a man in a car to be consensual; the situation spirals out of control when the girl later claims she was sexually assaulted while the cops laughed it off; Carlos considers a willing Ty as a potential roommate candidate.

Episode 6 "Childhood Memories" (Also not aired by C4 this week, due to unsuitable adult content!)
    Bosco runs from the present and his past when he is wrongly suspected of murdering a sexual-assault suspect. As Faith tries to gather evidence to clear him, Bosco turns to his dysfunctional family, including his alcoholic mother, drug-addicted brother and estranged, abusive father. An emotionally rattled Kim virtually kidnaps Joey from Jimmy while Carlos actively solicits Ty to be his new roommate.

Hope I haven't spoiled anyones fun by including these synopses? But if we could get to see the show in order, I wouldn't need to put this stuff in my posts! :mad: at C4!

Pooch

19. Burnside

Burnside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Pooch you seem very knowledgeable!

:lease:

Do you know how I could purchase the Region 2 Versions of Third Watch on DVD?

I looked on ebay www.ebay.co.uk with no success, its got to be Region 2 and legal (with tax etc) not that Region 0 crap.

Thanks if you do,

Burnside.

20. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Burnside,

Unfortunately, the ONLY legitimate DVD release (in any region!) of "Third Watch", is the two Japanese Region 2 DVD boxed sets, of Season 1 (half-a-season per set). (The show is not out anywhere else in the world, nor are any other seasons available to buy/rent from anywhere.)

They are all in their original English language, but will set you back about £45-£50 per boxed set!

You can buy them, from www.cdjapan.co.jp

The site is in English, and they are a very reputable company, as I have used them myself on several occasions, with no problems. Delivery is usually within 10 days, providing the item(s) are in stock, and will be well packaged up.

Just one thing, though. You will almost definitely get UK HM Customs import tax on these! So expect to pay approximately £12 extra on top, per set, when they arrive at your door.

Pooch

21. Stevie

Stevie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch,
    I tried cdjapan.co.jp for Third Watch DVDs and they didn't have any? More to the point when I put Third Watch in there search it came up blank. amazon.jp has got Third Watch DVDs.

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,648
    Thanks for the reply and info Pooch.

I find Ch4 attitude strange that if the Americans where classed a suitable audience for this episode and to whom the incident happened, yet Ch4 did not think, albeit day time TV fit enough for the UK audience nearly 3 years on. :confused:

23. Burnside

Burnside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me Pooch.

Am very dissapointed :mad:

I love third watch, but £60 for series 1? I dont think so. There was too much FDNY in series 1, and I love Bosco and Sully etc.

Don't suppose anyone has any word on when there might be a more general release?

Burnside

24. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

1) Stevie - I did a search on CD Japan, and they DO have Season 1 of "Third Watch" available (but not necessarily in stock)!. Just click here for the list. (Ignore the Collector's Sets, as they are deleted now, but the regular versions, are still available!

2) Burnside - alas the only way of finding out if a show is going to get a DVD release, is to e-mail or write to the TV production company, which in "Third Watch"'s case, will be Warner Bros in the USA. Try visiting their website at this page here and see if you can find out a contact e-mail address.

3) Some excellent news to end on: Channel 4 (in all their infinite wisdom :laugh: ) are going to go straight into Season 4, from mid July! It will continue to air between 11am and Noon, every Monday through Friday. C4 have confirmed they WILL be airing every episode of Season 4, but minor edits may still have to be made, for violent and adult content.

Alas, there's no word from them, why they won't put this show in a late-night slot, and show it all the way through, uncut, uncensored, and in the correct episodic order, as C4's history of the show has been tantamount to a total scheduling travesty, ever since the show began airing in October 2001! One day, we will get to see this show, the way it was meant to be seen! Oh well, at least we'll have (more or less) caught-up with the US, who have just ended Season 5.

Oh, and there's already been a ton of complaints to the C4 website, about the ludicrous editing of Friday's episode "Superheroes - Part 1" - which guest starred Roy Scheider (of "Jaws" and "The French Connection" fame). The end shootout/drugs-bust/drugs kingpin bust, made absolutely no sense, seeing as it was all over in about 5 seconds, because it wasn't suitable for a daytime schedule! One minute, Faith, her new partner, Bosco and his new partner, and the gang all arrive on the scene, with Sully and Davis inside trying to get Fyodor Chechenko (Scheider's character), and the next minute, we see Davis claiming he's been shot. The question, "What just happened" sprang to mind, when I watched it!

Channel 4 are real idiots sometimes! :mad:

Pooch

25. Burnside

Burnside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's going to look a whole lot more strange when they start investigating that he was shot in friendly fire lol!

And I would have loved to see those gang bangers slog it out with the Russians.

Hope Superheros Part 2 is on tomorrow morning - will be severly :censored: off iff not!

Burnside

26. Burnside

Burnside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

Thank you for your e-mail regarding future Warner Bros. DVD releases.
    Unfortunately, Warner Bros. Online Customer Service does not have exact release
    dates, nor do we know when a certain DVD will be released in various countries
    or formats. Warner Bros. Online Customer Service also has no information as to
    why certain films or TV shows have not been released on DVD. Warner Bros.
    values your input and opinions. Your requests for specific movies, TV shows and
    features have been noted

To find out about current movies and upcoming movies and DVD releases, you
    can sign up for the WB Reel News at:

click here

27. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Burnside, (and others)

In an earlier post, Burnside, you said: "There was too much FDNY in series 1, and I love Bosco and Sully etc."

FDNY actually means Federal District of New York, not Fire Department of New York! :)

And "Third Watch" relates to the fact that the workshift of the characters runs between 3pm and 11pm. (First Watch being 11pm to 7am - also known as the Night Shift or Midnight Shift - and Second Watch being 7am to 3pm!)

For those who don't already know...

1) Jerry Mancowicz who's reappeared in Season 3 as a Private Detective doing the case on Doc's rescue of the paraplegic, Jerry was shot on duty in Season 1. He was originally Doc's ambulance partner, and considered by everyone to be the "best paramedic" in the group. After he was shot, he was forced to take disability pension, after it was revealed he wouldn't ever be fit enough to work again as a paramedic.

2) Tatiana has a son, called Sergei, who in Season 2, was living with "friends", but it's since become apparent that he's actually been sleeping on friends couches, and is of "no fixed abode". (The reason he didn't move in with Sully, to his appartment, was because Sully's appartment was a "bachelor pad only fit for two". Sergei and Tatiana originally lived in the flat next door to Sully.)

3) Sully's original partner was Ty Davis Senior - Ty's father (obviously). He was killed in the line of duty, and Ty Junior's mother, Maggie Davis (who appeared in "Superheroes - Part 2 shown on Monday morning on Channel 4), wasn't too pleased with Ty Junior wanting to follow in his father's footsteps. Also, Maggie and Sully had a very brief relationship in Season 2, but Sully decided it wasn't right for him, and he wanted them to remain just "good friends". She also made Sully promise her one thing: that if Ty did follow in his father's footsteps and become a cop/beat officer, that Sully would be Ty's partner, and look after him.

Obviously, with Ty being shot, Maggie slapping Sully in the face should now make more sense to some of you, who didn't already know the backstory.

3) The character of Vangie appears in todays episode. The backstory with her, (from Seasons 1 and 2), is that she was a smei-homeless young woman, who had some kind of minor mental illness. She fell in love with Carlos, the paramedic, and they had a fling. Alas, Carlos only wanted her for sex, and when he broke up with her, she got very angry. However, unbeknownst to hih, he had not taken precautions, and she was now pregnant. Carlos being not-too-bright, decided he was too young to deal with a full-on relationship with a woman, and certainly didn't want to be laden with a child! So, what does he do? Offers to pay her, to have an abortion.

I don't think we ever find out if she did or did not have the child, but Carlos was not a popular person, with the rest of the gang, for what he had done to that woman. That's why he and Doc don't always see eye-to-eye on things! If Carlos stopped thinking from "between his legs", then maybe he wouldn't get himself into such hot water with women.

4) Lastly, in "Superheroes - Parts 1 and 2", you may have noticed that Faith and Bosco getting snidey with a superior officer. That would be Sergeant John Christopher. He and Bosco have history, which - to date - the viewers aren't told about. He's a bit of a ballbreaker, to say the least: an up-and-coming young man, who always does everything by-the-book. With Bosco knowing that by-the-book doesn't always mean getting the job done right, he and Christopher frequently clash. During Season 2, Bosco and Christopher do clash. However, the clashes result in Bosco receiving two citations, for bad conduct. One more, and he will be revoked down to doing "desk duty" on a permanent basis - something Bosco can ill afford, and would kill him, inside. Faith has also had clashes, but only because he peers down at her, because she is a woman, and a mother. His sexist attitude has not endeared him to her.

And that's why when he reappeared in "Superheroes", Bosco and faith both wanted to kill Christopher. His attitude will be interesting to see, when we discover exactly who killed Lieutenant Swersky, and it looks like Bosco or Faith may have been the shooters.

Lastly, because Channel 4 badly edited the end of "Superheroes - Part 1", which is the shootout, here's the description of what happened in the missing minutes.

When Bosco and Ross arrive at the scene, Bosco sees a familiar drug dealer, C-Note, who informs him that one of the dead dealers is his little brother. Knowing that C-Note will go after the men who killed his brother, Bosco and Ross tail him.

Sully and Davis arrive at a restaurant where the mobsters are attending a wedding. Sully clears the place out, and begins to arrest the mob leader. Bosco and Ross follow C-Note and his running buddies and they all end up at the same place where Sully is making his arrest. Over Ross's objections, Bosco decides to arrest C-Note and his buddies without calling for backup, even though they are outnumbered. Seconds later, Yokas and Gusler and their ESU backup also arrive at the same restaurant to make their arrests, unaware that Sully, Davis, Bosco and Ross are already there.

C-Note and his buddies get out of their SUV with machine guns in hand, and begin to rain bullets into the restaurant. They then turn their guns on Bosco and Ross. Bosco decides to make a run for it to draw their fire, and Yokas and Ross manage to kill several of the assailants. Back inside the restaurant Davis manages to shoot C-Note, but not before being seriously wounded himself.

Hope all of this info, helps you folks continue to enjoy "Third Watch". :thumbsup:

Pooch

28. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pooch,

Thanks for latest post. You sure helping me keep up-to-date on all things Third Watch.

TiVo conveniently catches this for me and I watch it when I have spare time (great not having to suffer ads!) . Everytime (without fail) I watch an episode I can't believe that this show isn't broadcast on a Friday night with a huge following ???? I'm beginning to realise that C4 haven't got a clue!

Ian

29. Burnside

Burnside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

To be fair, it would face stiff competition from Chaneel 5's "The Shield."

30. Saqib

Saqib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually, A&E air Third Watch in the states, so maybe it would be worth emailing them. I have in the past, so more emails would probably strengthen their resolve.

their website is: http://www.aetv.com/