1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Third HD format on its way...thanks Microsoft

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jim_Fear, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26057

According to The Inquirer Microsoft is singing some hefty deals and pushing some serious cash into developing ANOTHER HD format. This is really getting beyond a joke now, the consumers are being played like the worlds smallest fiddle! :thumbsdow

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Interesting....but without large studio backing any new HD format is probably going to be a no go in North America, Europe and Japan.

However Asia may embrace the format as a way of storing HD films without paying royalities to the HD-DVD or BD camps.

Its interesting that Microsoft is involved but the software giant may see the new HD disc formats (FVD) as a way of pushing its own compression technology WMV9 onto the lower capacity DVD's into the huge Chinese/Asian market. It may feel it is being pushed out of the high def picture with BD and HD-DVD using MPEG2/4 compression and this is one way to tap into the market.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    These formats being developed in Asia will probably stay there. The big world players are probably Japan, US and EU. And these are the places that will addopt Blu Ray and HD DVD.

However, it is a big world out there where a lot of people cant afford to pay $1000 for a player and $30 per movie disk.

Even if FVD never see's the light of day in EU, US, and JP, they could still do really well in other countries.
    China, South America and lots of other countries are also hughe markets but in the lower price range where most people could never spend as much as what Blu Ray and HD DVD will be asking us to pay. Thats where these lower cost solutions come into play.

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - this seems to be to HD-DVD and BluRay a bit what VCD and SVCD are to DVD?

The capacity and max resolution are both lower - but the cost of production should also be lower.

I suspect that apart from pirated content that will no doubt appear (whatever people try to do with HDCP etc.) the releases will be more oriented towards the Asian market?

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    What I find interesting is that MS know this low cost solution will be used for piracy!

Maybe they are just gonna give up trying to fight piracy in asia and instead are going to try and make some money out of it by providing these guys with a format they want!

6. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Money talks :)

7. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    slighty off topic but this reminds me of an article i was reading this afternoon :

more bad news about Vista :

Display: Prepare to feel the red mist of rage - no current TFT monitor out there is going to support high definition playback in Vista. You may already have heard rumblings about this, but here it is. To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content you need a HDCP compatible monitor. Why? Because these formats use HDCP to encrypt a video signal as it travels along a digital connection to an output device, to prevent people copying it. If you have just standard DVI or even an analogue output, you're going to see HD scaled down to a far-less-than-HD resolution for viewing - which sucks. This isn't really Microsoft's fault - HDCP is something that content makers, in their eternal wisdom, have decided is necessary to stop us all watching pirated movies. Yay.

source : http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09/07/vista_hardware_reqs/

8. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    To be perfectly honest that doesn't bother me, i'd be using my HDCP ok'd Panny to watch the High Def DVD's and such. I dont get why so many people are up in arms about this, it just means they wont be able to watch high definition content on their current screens, and I cant truley understand WHY they'd want to watch it on a small screen anyway, the pixel pitch and resolution make up for the lack of quality (in comparison to HD) on normal DVD's anyway so normal DVD's would look good and high def ones wouldn't really be any different.

No matter how I look at it I cant seem to find a way it will bother me, I'm actually toying with the beta of Vista because am an IT guy and the company I work for get loads of free software from MS via our MSDN account.

9. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    alot of people output video from their pc, kinda like a media center

but yeah your right in your case it wont matter

personally i think its a disgrace

10. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I know its a big pain in the a$$ for those without a HDCP screen, but in all honesty i can understand the logic in trying to watch high def content on a standard def screen, sure it can look a little better when its scaled down in comparison to playing SD content, but its better to watch it in all its glory :D

My attitude to this is probably like it becasue it wont affect me, but dont forget, MS said their uncrackable validation system couldn't be crack...24 hours later it was, someone will eventually bust this wide open, you can count on that