Third Dimension - The AVForums 20 Best Blu-rays for 3D & Other 3D Disc Chat.

Seems like 2016 3D OLEDs is the only best option to watch 3D movies perfectly. Black levels, brightness, resolution, colors, contrast and most importantly the reliability, ...
In VR with OLED there are fewer issues with black levels, colour, and contrast. It's about as reliable as any recent device. However my software setup is a little more complicated so there is a modest hit on reliabiilty.
...comfort and easiness ...
Yep I agree with this one. I have a strap which makes the headset "more comfortable" but a pair of 3D glasses would obviously be preferable.
...watch 3D on passive TV makes it a best option to enjoy to the fullest.
Not really because I have a cinema/IMAX sized screen to watch my films on. A projector has the large screen but then suffers a little with colour, black levels and contrast when compared to OLED.

Basically the large screen size of a projector (actually bigger), the portability of VR with the colour and contrast reproduction of a TV (OLED). Still not quite as good as an OLED TV and the screen door effect is a thing. But taken as a whole, it ain't half bad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah there are a few guides like this one, that's the old way of doing it. MPC-BE pretty much does everything without requiring LAV or MadVR. I use MadVR for best picture quality but you don't need it. As for playing the disc directly, I can probably think of easier ways if I put my mind to it. But tbh I prefer having a back up and not having to insert discs.

Also resolution isn't an issue because the max resolution is initially 2160x1080 which is what I use before downscaling it to 1080p for max picture quality. Both Quest headsets exceed that resolution per eye never mind in total.

Thanks, will take a look at that. Ripping is an option, and I will probably do few favourites, but for the 180-ish discs I have now, that's too much work. If I can just plop a disc in, that's ideal.

Thanks, will take a look at that. Ripping is an option, and I will probably do few favourites, but for the 180-ish discs I have now, that's too much work. If I can just plop a disc in, that's ideal.
Yeah it can be painful to rip 100+ discs lol. But once the bulk of them is done there's no issue :) I use Kodi as my video library so I can see exactly what I have, what I've watched etc. It is time consuming to set up and it's all software so time has been spent troubleshooting etc when it could have been spent watching :( :) BTW this is the simplified explanation of my setup lol.

I have about 400+ discs so I'm glad I can just put the vast majority of them away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents - House of Wax 3D is now available in stock in HMV and is still included in the 2 for £15 deal:

Bargain if you can pair it with another blu-ray of your choice and worth it for the 3D.
Yay!........oh.....wait a minute....... I already bought it....... it cost me how much ??? :facepalm:

So does any of you lot want a free Friday the 13th Part 3 in proper 3D?

Just received a corrected version of the new Scream Factory region A locked disc - the only issue was the 3D plane for the opening credits was wrong. The rest of the film is fine (and some great 3D to boot) and as I’ve got a corrected version, I have the previous version now being little more than a coaster.

So if anyone here wants it gratis, I’ll post it out next week. First one to shout out, it’s yours.

Yes please - I'd love the 3D copy.

I'd like to publicly thank Coz for his kindness. I got the disc yesterday and had a very brief scan through the film.

I almost jumped back because of a couple of moments pop out. I can't wait to watch the film! My wife isn't so keen though! :D

Thanks again Coz for your generosity. :thumbsup:

Yeah there are a few guides like this one, that's the old way of doing it. MPC-BE pretty much does everything without requiring LAV or MadVR. I use MadVR for best picture quality but you don't need it. As for playing the disc directly, I can probably think of easier ways if I put my mind to it. But tbh I prefer having a back up and not having to insert discs.

Also resolution isn't an issue because the max resolution is initially 2160x1080 which is what I use before downscaling it to 1080p for max picture quality. Both Quest headsets exceed that resolution per eye never mind in total.

MPC-BE - excellent, exactly what I wanted, works perfect, and as you say, no add-ons required. Still needs AnyDVD or Passkey to remove protection on the fly, but my long expired AnyDVD licence still works for all except very recent movies, and of course there aren't many recent 3D movies, so that's not really an issue.

I got the headset for gaming really, watching movies is only really a last resort after the projector or one of my other 2 3DTVs, but good to know it's an option, and a decent one at that.

MPC-BE - excellent, exactly what I wanted, works perfect, and as you say, no add-ons required. Still needs AnyDVD or Passkey to remove protection on the fly, but my long expired AnyDVD licence still works for all except very recent movies, and of course there aren't many recent 3D movies, so that's not really an issue.

I got the headset for gaming really, watching movies is only really a last resort after the projector or one of my other 2 3DTVs, but good to know it's an option, and a decent one at that.
Glad it was useful :) You're lucky because I went through the 3D conversion stage for a few weeks which is extremely time consuming. It initially took about 1 hour to rip then 3+ hours to convert. I was able to change the main algorithm to use the GPU which brought the conversion time down to about 1 hour. That's not including all the research and setup time which was about a week lol. I now use this player with various add ons and stuff to get exactly what's on the disc audio & visuals to my screen and sound system :)

I think they are pretty good!, I’m still tempted with Botanica but can’t pull the trigger...

Hopefully, I’ll get my copy of Botanica in the next few weeks. If you like, hang on until I get my copy and I’ll let you know what I think. That may help you decide whether it’s worth getting.

I had a few 3D titles arrive yesterday, including Botanica which I flicked through briefly.

First impression. The picture is clean and clear. The 3D is very natural, with plenty of depth.

But Botanica seems to be a series of static shots taken in various locations of the Botanical garden consisting of statues, water features, and of course plants and trees. It's not very engaging, to be honest. I haven't yet seen any close-up or macro shots of the plants. I'm a very untalented amateur photographer and I enjoy plant close up plant photography, as I find the colours and structure of flowers fascinating. At first glance, this seems to be missing from this disc. If it is, its a great shame.

For what it is (about 60 minutes run time), it's very expensive. I can only recommend this if your a total 3D completist or you really love plants and have an interest in Botanical gardens.

EDIT: The actual package is quite nice and includes two discs, the 'non-Blu-ray 3D' version is anaglyph 3D compatible. The cellophane wrapping had the number '74' written on it in felt tip pen. If that's the number of discs produced so far, it really is a very limited edition!

I hope that helps your decision making.

Last edited:
I had a few 3D titles arrive yesterday, including Botanica which I flicked through briefly.

First impression. The picture is clean and clear. The 3D is very natural, with plenty of depth.

But Botanica seems to be a series of static shots taken in various locations of the Botanical garden consisting of statues, water features, and of course plants and trees. It's not very engaging, to be honest. I haven't yet seen any close-up or macro shots of the plants. I'm a very untalented amateur photographer and I enjoy plant close up plant photography, as I find the colours and structure of flowers fascinating. At first glance, this seems to be missing from this disc. If it is, its a great shame.

For what it is (about 60 minutes run time), it's very expensive. I can only recommend this if your a total 3D completist or you really love plants and have an interest in Botanical gardens.

EDIT: The actual package is quite nice and includes two discs, the 'non-Blu-ray 3D' version is anaglyph 3D compatible. The cellophane wrapping had the number '74' written on it in felt tip pen. If that's the number of discs produced so far, it really is a very limited edition!

I hope that helps your decision making.

Hi, many thanks for checking it out!, I thought from reading up on botanica there was quite a bit of video ?. I think I might hold fire due to the cost of postage!. We’re enjoying the David Attenborough 3D plants.
im into macro photography to, obv total amateur but always found it interesting.

oh, I paid £11.73 for an uncorrected Friday the 13th disc on eBay to see what it’s like lol.

Ok, a brief first impression of the two other 3D films that arrived yesterday.

Here's another niche title, this time One More Time With Feeling. a documentary about musician Nick Cave:

1611157917847.png

The Blu-ray's are house in DVD sized cases which is somewhat annoying and makes it difficult to distinguish that you're buying the correct version if purchasing online. The other annoyance is that there is no 'Blu-ray 3D' logo on the packaging only a hard to make out 'in 3D' identification mark on the front. Please check carefully before buying. Anyhow, this is a black and white 3D documentary (I said it was a niche title!) with a lot of the footage shot with handheld cameras. The quality is very good and very naturalistic. I do notice some backgrounds going out of focus quite quickly as the cameraman is moving about following the subject.

The last of my new 3D arrivals is the title I inquired about previously. Long Day's Journey into Night. I've only spent a few minutes scanning through the disc and the quality seems excellent. The first half of the film is in 2D* and then the protagonist puts on a pair of 3D glasses telling you that it is time to do the same. Most of the 3D section is quite dark, not normally a good thing for 3D, but here it works well. I'm looking forward to giving this a proper viewing.

* Actually, the whole film is in 3D - your television autodetects the 3D straight away. But the '2D' segments have identical images going to the left and right eye so it appears to be 2D. Left and Right eye content changes when the 3D sequences begin. I suppose this prevents the television autodetecting 3D halfway through a film which may be distracting if you get a black screen momentarily or logo's popping up.

EDIT: The UK version is 3D, just make sure you buy the set marked 2 Disc set, one of which contains the film with the 3D sequence. There is no indication that the film has 3D content from the packaging!

Last edited:
Hi, many thanks for checking it out!, I thought from reading up on botanica there was quite a bit of video ?. I think I might hold fire due to the cost of postage!. We’re enjoying the David Attenborough 3D plants.
im into macro photography to, obv total amateur but always found it interesting.

oh, I paid £11.73 for an uncorrected Friday the 13th disc on eBay to see what it’s like lol.

I only scanned through it very briefly to check it out, so I may have missed quite a bit. As you can see from my other posts yesterday was a busy day for 3D arrivals!

If I see anything more relevant about Botanica, I'll let you know.

Oh, something I forgot to mention. The disc is labelled as region A but it played ok in my region B player.

I only scanned through it very briefly to check it out, so I may have missed quite a bit. As you can see from my other posts yesterday was a busy day for 3D arrivals!

If I see anything more relevant about Botanica, I'll let you know.

Oh, something I forgot to mention. The disc is labelled as region A but it played ok in my region B player.

Nice one, that’s good it plays as region free. I was looking at The legend of Pinnochio 3D, have you heard of that ?.

Nice one, that’s good it plays as region free. I was looking at The legend of Pinnochio 3D, have you heard of that ?.

No mate, I don't know anything about it.

Thanks for mentioning it, I'll check it out :smashin:

Somebody bought pinnochio from Amazon, it’s gone from my basket 😱😂

Somebody bought pinnochio from Amazon, it’s gone from my basket 😱😂

It wasn't me! Is that from Amazon UK or abroad? Can't see it listed on the UK site.

Forgot to say earlier, I think you'll enjoy Friday the 13th. It would be nuts if it isn't released as a stand-alone title.

It wasn't me! Is that from Amazon UK or abroad? Can't see it listed on the UK site.

Forgot to say earlier, I think you'll enjoy Friday the 13th. It would be nuts if it isn't released as a stand-alone title.

there was one available from momox vis Amazon UK this morning lol!, I think was a German release but I can’t see it on Amazon.de.

Its so good to see people talking and loving about a technology that was abandoned by the industry experts 4/5 years back.
Just waiting for a new 3D movie to add to my collection but unfortunately no sign as of now.

Its so good to see people talking and loving about a technology that was abandoned by the industry experts 4/5 years back.
Just waiting for a new 3D movie to add to my collection but unfortunately no sign as of now.
They made a big mistake, especially LG who abandoned 3D panels first.

They made a big mistake, especially LG who abandoned 3D panels first.
No they didn't unfortunately. In the end, if they thought they could make money with 3D TVs' they would still be making them now. As for people like us, we are either fanning the last embers of a dying technology. Or once VR headsets become closer in style and design to standard 3D glasses we are entering the early beginnings of a new technology enabling 3D or maybe even holographic viewing of content.

Thanks for that. I preordered this blind, simply because it is a 3D Film Archive restoration, and their work is simply fabulous. Hopefully I’ll get the film next month.

The review has got me excited to see this film. And it includes a Woody Woodpecker 3D cartoon as well!

Sounds good. Is this likely to be a region locked disc?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom