Third Dimension - The AVForums 20 Best Blu-rays for 3D & Other 3D Disc Chat.

Watched Abominable 3D, yesterday, quite a sweet story, so-so 3D - not a great deal of depth but nice and bright image, when needed and a few pop-out moments. The Dolby Atmos soundtrack was pretty good with some great helicopter panning overhead for some scenes..
Watched an abominable 3D, yesterday, called Skyscraper I can't say the 3D was outstanding too many indoor scenes and being low lighting best effect were the fire with the sparks flying up in the air although early doors in the daylight some of the looking down scenes from the great heights were unsettling.

My 3D Christmas entertainment has just arrived:

1577184515982.png
1577184515982.png

My wife is not going to be happy! :D

Happy Christmas fellow 3Der’s :) :thumbsup:

Just watched The Polar Express in glorious 3D. Christmas tradition in our house now and what a beautiful, near perfect example of the art of 3D it truly is.

Just watched The Polar Express in glorious 3D. Christmas tradition in our house now and what a beautiful, near perfect example of the art of 3D it truly is.
Absolutely, another of my favourites again after not watching it last year is Disney’s A Christmas Carol.

Just watched Tintin, I watched it a long time ago so had forgotten most of it, really enjoyed it!.
I see the MOD Abominable 3D is now £30.68 on eBay with free delivery From the US. Tempted lol.

Just watched Tintin, I watched it a long time ago so had forgotten most of it, really enjoyed it!.
I see the MOD Abominable 3D is now £30.68 on eBay with free delivery From the US. Tempted lol.
what's MOD?

what's MOD?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
thanks. Is this a thing now. I wonder if there’s any way we could have Mission Impossible Fallout 3D MOD or is it just Dreamworks?

thanks. Is this a thing now. I wonder if there’s any way we could have Mission Impossible Fallout 3D MOD or is it just Dreamworks?
35/35 mark for the 3D film and no 3D release on blu ray that was a sickner.

35/35 mark for the 3D film and no 3D release on blu ray that was a sickner.
I know, saw it in IMAX (with laser) 3D in Sheffield and all through the film I was thinking I’ll order the 3D Blu-ray as soon as I get home and was so disappointed. I’ve got the 4K Blu-ray but still find I’m drawn to watch the 3D version every time (Sky).

Anyone purchased the USA MOD version of Abominable ?.

Is there a big difference between 3D shot movies with Post Production movies?
Nice to hear everyone's experience and opinions.

Is there a big difference between 3D shot movies with Post Production movies?
Nice to hear everyone's experience and opinions.

I can tell a native shot 3D movie over a post production, saying that post production 3D has come a long way and indeed there have been a few rubbish native 3D movies To.

I can tell a native shot 3D movie over a post production, saying that post production 3D has come a long way and indeed there have been a few rubbish native 3D movies To.
What would you choose as one of the best Native 3D movies of late. Avatar seems to be on everyone's list.

What would you choose as one of the best Native 3D movies of late. Avatar seems to be on everyone's list.
Avatar is a good old favourite, the first 3D movie I saw back in 2008 at the cinema.

sadly native shot 3D is basically non existent now, thankfully though most conversions are pretty decent, my favourite 3D is Animation over live action.

Alita battle angel was the last native I can recall, I didn’t like it first time but 2nd viewing was excellent.

Avatar is a good old favourite, the first 3D movie I saw back in 2008 at the cinema.

sadly native shot 3D is basically non existent now, thankfully though most conversions are pretty decent, my favourite 3D is Animation over live action.
I enjoyed the 3D Post Conversion of Blade Runner 2049 for it's added depth of the whole movie which is all we can expect these years for 3D Movies but I would agree with you that Animation is where 3D is looking best for effects.

Alita and The Last Knight were the last two Hollywood "blockbusters" shot natively I think. It's fun to think of it from a purists standpoint but for me it don't make much difference. Force Awakens and Last Jedi were amazing in 3D and were done in post. I haven't seen The Last Knight to be honest but I'm fed up of the Transformers movies now. I'd sooner take a top tier film like Force Awakens with fake 3D than another Transformers shot natively. The difference is minimal and could flip either way depending on a lot of factors anyway.

For an older recommendation, Prometheus is surprisingly good for a "darker" film.

Alita and The Last Knight were the last two Hollywood "blockbusters" shot natively I think. It's fun to think of it from a purists standpoint but for me it don't make much difference. Force Awakens and Last Jedi were amazing in 3D and were done in post. I haven't seen The Last Knight to be honest but I'm fed up of the Transformers movies now. I'd sooner take a top tier film like Force Awakens with fake 3D than another Transformers shot natively. The difference is minimal and could flip either way depending on a lot of factors anyway.

For an older recommendation, Prometheus is surprisingly good for a "darker" film.
Prometheus I agree and did enjoy the 3D version. Last Jedi too.

From memory The last Jedi had pretty poor 3D.

Gemini Man was a native production from last year. And I wasn't bowled over by its 3D, thought it was fine, but never amazing. If one of the supposed benefits of HFR is to make the 3D better then they should have made more effort to make the 3D more impressive in the first place, in my opinion. Having said that, for my money, once they'd gone down the HFR road, the film was doomed to look hideous, however good the 3D may have been. Compare something like Need For Speed (post-converted) to the second Planet of the Apes film (native) for a quick example of how converted can sometime be vastly superior to native (that's just a random example off the top of my head).

Pacific Rim is about THE example of how good a conversion can be.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom