Third BluRay v HD DVD Review

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
This time "Rumor Has It..." on both HD DVD and BluRay. The HD DVD review can be found here and the BluRay one here. HD DVD is the preferred version:

Okay, so we all know this film sucks. But truly, it looks terrific on HD-DVD. Gorgeous at times, in fact. This is the kind of colorful, brightly-lit, almost TV-movie-esque looking movie that really shines on home video, not to mention high-definition. Sparkly, sharp and crisp, this transfer has that three-dimensional, picture perfect look that makes you want to reach out and touch the screen -- however crap the movie is that you're looking at.

...and the BluRay version:

As I noted in my earlier Blu-ray reviews of 'Training Day' and 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,' the biggest differences I noticed between the Blu-ray and HD DVD versions are brightness and contrast levels, compression artifacts and a slight cropping on the sides of the image. Unfortunately, all three issues also plague 'Rumor Has It...', and in some instances the inconsistencies are the most notable of any of Warner's three launch titles.

Anyway the whole reviews are worth a read!

theo cupier

I've read all three of his HD-DVD v BD comparison reviews now. I'll be very interested to find out whether the problems he's consistently reporting with BD are down to the technology itself or just the Samsung player.

Either way round, it's not good news for the BD camp.

FOXCLOSE

theo cupier said:
I've read all three of his HD-DVD v BD comparison reviews now. I'll be very interested to find out whether the problems he's consistently reporting with BD are down to the technology itself or just the Samsung player.

Either way round, it's not good news for the BD camp.

I guess it's down to both.

The Samsung player is a stinker and tech used in BD discs is not where it should be. This better change fast.

Uruloke

As an owner of a HD-DVD player I hope it doesn't change at all! ;)

But I won't be too cut up if it does. :thumbsup:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
As an owner of a HD-DVD player I hope it doesn't change at all!
My feelings exactly. As things stand now we are in the best possible position - enjoying the best high def currently available now. If BluRay gets upto scratch - and I hope it does - then I will have no hestitation in buying into that format as well. :clap:

Q

Quickbeam

Rumor Has It is a 15GB HD-DVD/DVD combo disc, so you would expect Blu-ray's 25GB MPEG2 to produce similar results. Doesn't seem to have turned out that way.

DHAKA

Banned
FOXCLOSE said:
I guess it's down to both.

The Samsung player is a stinker and tech used in BD discs is not where it should be. This better change fast.

According to Robert Heron yes the the guy from DL.tv my understanding is Samsung BD player is a good machine. I think all the problems lie with the crappy MPEG 2 compression. And SONY here trying to bad mouth underlying technologies of Sammy to cover up their drawbacks on BD technologies.

Check the review out:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1993950,00.asp

lfletcher

I think you'll find the discs to be lacking, but so is the player. When the next wave of Blu Ray players come out we'll see how good or bad it really is, but it has a flawed implementation of 1080p (something the Sony is supposed to share), has picture issues via HDMI and doesnt support any of the new audio codecs (or VC-1 I believe).

"The stylish Samsung BD-P1000 is a capable disc player that unleashes the full capabilities of the Blu-ray format. The player supports 1080p digital video output"

I think Robert needs to go back to AV school and redefine capable :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom