• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Thinkpad R32 backlight problem

lather30

Standard Member
New here and hoping someone can help..... :lease:

I'm having a bit of an issue with the backlight on my IBM Thinkpad R32. Basically, it keeps flickering, and every so often goes off completely. It is just the backlight, and not the screen as a whole because, if the external light is right, you can still see all of the data there on screen. By cycling through the display options using Fn+F7, I can get the backlight on again, although it sometimes goes off again as soon as it comes back on - which is VERY frustrating! Sometimes it seems to do it at random, but very often it seems linked in with how hard the machine is having to work - For example, if a website has a lot of Flash graphics which make the CPU work hard, or the HDD is very active, then it seems a lot more likely to have the backlight issue than if its just sat there doing nothing or a simple job like word processing.

Now, I know that, very often, a backlight problem is caused by a faulty screen inverter, but I was wondering if anyone knew of another problem which can cause the same issues. I do have a replacement inverter ready to go into the machine if needed, but I don't want to do that work and then find out that the problem is actually elsewhere in the machine...

So I was just wondering if anyone knows exactly what could be causing the problem, and how I can cure it.

Thanks in advance...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom