1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking og going HCPC, newbie questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by X-Factor, Nov 6, 2003.

1. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Think I've convinced myself to go HCPC rather than upgrading all my other bits and pieces but have a couple of questions.

* Do any of the PVR cards have twin tuners, i.e. record one channel while watching another.

* How intensive is recording tv, i.e. could the pc handle recording a channel while playing a DVD. I was thinking of getting a pace twin or the newer alternatives. The pc would be a good alternative but if it's stuck doing one thing at a time it's pretty useless.

* Where should I be looking for AV style cases, I've checked out the LMP and advent ones but would prefer a bit more choice before jumping in.

* Any good HCPC sites out there, I'm looking for details on the various software options to get it all working nice from a remote.

Thanks in advance

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Don't know of any PVR solutions that feature twin tuners.
    However one option is to have a PVR card ( I use the nebula digiTV) and a standalone digibox. When I record on the nebula ( which has a blind mode so no use of overlay) I can watch the other box via Dscaler and a capture card. This works well.

Recording with the nebula uses little procesing time as its literally just dumping the terrestrial bitstream to HD without decompresssing it. Actually playing back a recording is more demanding than recording it. So yes I can record via nebula and watch dvd at the same time with no problems. Recording and viwing alternative tuner with Dscaler is more likely to give problems ; dscaler is pretty intensive ( If I start to turn on filters I start dropping frames but this is on a 1.13 P3)

I use a black LMP case and it does its job fine (looks nicer with a blue power led swap) I had it in silver originally but my daughter got artistic on it with a marker pen. Both styles are very nice.

This site and the AVSforums are a good place to start for HTPC info.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Also have a look at UVEM Hcpc's....I have one and have been very pleased with it's performance,and the level of support from the owner of the company,Phil Hale.

www.uvem.com

4. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the input, maybe need to rethink my plans

Seems a bit too much effort if I need another box for when I'm recording. I know I'll get bigger hard disc and the option to save to DVD-r but the main reason for going HCPC was to save space while getting my PC into the living room.

Plus two boxes would be a nightmare for the girlfriend to work!

I'd seen the Uvem cases but would prefer not to have fold down flaps showing all the gubbins. I like the LMP cases for looks but if I'm going to have to fork out >£150 for a case I don't want to be forced to use a specific DVD drive so it's possible to upgrade it later.

I did see a case that fitted the job and had bits to make the dvd drive aluminium looking but I wasn't looking seriously and forgotten who it was.

Cheers again.

5. greetings

greetings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    * As far as I know their aren't any cards that have twin tuners however the Nebula card can record an entire digital mux. So if you want to record BBC3 while watching BBC2 or record Channel 4 while watching ITV2 that's no problem.

Nebula are to release support for dual cards before christmas if you want to go the whole way.

* Recording TV while using another app takes hardly any resources using a digital TV card (a few percent) as the digital bit stream is simply dumped to disc with no processing being done.

* I have a Lian Li PC-9300 from Kustom PCs that I'm quite happy with.

* There's loads of sites out there but I don't know of any that bring it all together. If you find a good one let me know.

G