1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking of using a pc on my pw7,advice needed.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SILVERBACK, Aug 26, 2005.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    does anyone have there pc running through there plasmas (pw7`s if possible) as im thinking of doing this sometime over the weekend and would love some tips and advice from people who have already tried.is it worth the hassle ? as i will be getting rid of my old geforce mx440 graphics card and getting something with a bit more poke.this wont be my main display i just fancy hooking the pc upto my plasma.

2. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's deffinately worth the hassle. I have a pc connected to my pw7 and set it to 800 x 600 resolution and all the text on desktop and on the internet looks fine. I mostly use it for games (San Anreas and Battlefield 2 :) ) which look awesome and sometimes for music/movies, but wouldn't recommend for main web browsing.

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    what graphics card do you have mate and what connections do you use to view on both a monitor and a plasma ?

4. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    got mine hooked up to my pw7 and its well worth it. I found text a little hard to read on the desk top but since changing to large fonts it not been as big a problem. games are brilliant on a large screen.
    also been watching hi def movie clips. the screen may not be hi def but the picture is still pretty got with hi def

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i`m lovin it :) looks like thats my task for tomorrow.

6. ranguyen

ranguyen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    800x600 is 4:3 so are you stretching your image across your widescreen panel. Or do you have black on each side of image like a non-HD feed?

Either option would bug me.

7. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have a Galaxy Nvidia 6600gt connected to the screeen with a VGA cable.

It must stretch the image because it doesn't have black bars and doesn't look distorted.

8. fox uk

fox uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a similar setup - but you can use a prog called Powerstrip to tailor resolution (desktop at least) to near-as-damnit match your native resolution of your panel.

I have a old 9700pro running my media center and it's dandy (at least until my plasma stopped working). But playing games on a 42" screen LOOKS cool, but it's bloody hard to get a decent score on BF2! Just doesnt FEEL right :) Maybe i'm used to sitting 10inches from a 20" monitor!

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i eventually hooked my pw7 upto the pc today with the old crappy geforce card and to my amazement games look great on it :) just had a blast on rome total war and it looks brilliant.on a sourer note web browsing is a little different as the lettering etc just isn`t sharp enough but its acceptable without a shadow of a doubt.so i think its time to upgrade the card and memory and get gaming :)

10. will206

will206

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a related note I was in the Apple store today checking out Mac minis, one of the resolution options is "1024 x 768 (stretched)" Does anyone know if this means it will give out a widescreen image but using the right amount of pixels for a plasma of that resolution or something entirely different?

I really want to use a mac mini as a media centre when I finally get my plasma but want to be sure that its going to line up correctly and play video files with good quality and in the correct aspect.