Thinking of upgrading to sky+!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jenic, Dec 22, 2004.

1. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Does anyone know what make box i am likely to get?
    I am only willing to part with the money if it is a good make, i had a grundid box when i first subscribed to sky and after constant complaints about the box crashing :thumbsdow they replaced it with a trouble-free (for 5 years) panasonic. If i got a grundid sky plus box that i had payed for i would be extremely :censored:

Also, does anyone think the price might go down after crimbo, or is it possible for me to act as a new customer and get the box half price with free fitting?

:D

Thanks

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's only two makes of Sky+ box - Pace and Amstrad. Sky seem to be shipping more Amstrad boxes than Pace at the moment. A lot of people have reported problems with Amstrad Sky+ boxes. If you order from Sky, you are not likely to get a choice. Your best bet is to get in touch with a local installer, and see what he can offer.

3. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A SKY engineer told me that sky will normally supply an Amstrad box and therefore I shouldnt upgrade through sky. He told me to purchase through a local independent supplier where you can request a Pace box.

I did just that and was told by my local independent shop that they wont touch Amstrad boxes.

It cost me £250 (compared to SKY's £149) including installation, however because i bypassed sky, I dont have to pay £10/month for multi room which I dont need.

(SKY told me that they could try and supply a PACE box but couldnt guarantee it wouldnt be an Amstrad)

4. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    TBH I wish I'd known you could do this when I first upgraded to sky plus! However you DON't have to have multi room with sky plus, its just something thats a)a little misleading and b)something the cs services try to flog you to get more of your hard earned (allegedly :) )

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I ordered mine over the internet just over a year ago and got installation for £1. The multiroom bit is very misleading as you only remove it from your basket right at the end just before you check out.

There's plenty of threads about Pace v Amstrad over on the Digital Spy forum with plenty of supporters and detractors of both. In reading those threads, I came to the conclusion there's probably not much wrong with either.

Having said that, I've got a Pace box and it's been very good. Touch wood! :)

6. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks for the info, i'll have to look for my local retailer now, cant afford it yet but hope to have by feb