thinking of upgrading to onkyo txnr609

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by youngbuck uk, Dec 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. youngbuck uk

youngbuck uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys,

just to fill you all in on my query,

I currently own a yamaha rx-v465 av receiver, I have this paired with wharfedale 10.4 floorstanders at the front, 10cm centre, 10.1 rear, and a big thumping BK xxls400 for bass,

I have never really been truly happy with the receiver, its ok for movies/ps3 gaming but it just doesnt cut it with music at all,
    I have a few quid to spend this xmas and i have been looking around at new recievers, I have sort of narrowed it down to either onkyo txnr609 or denon 1912, (onkyo being favourite at the mo!)

has anyone had experience with either of these receivers and could anyone advise me as to weather i would see a great improvement over my current yamaha rx-v465?

also just to say thay most of my music is played via ipod/iphone and i dont tick the box on itunes that downscales the quality of the sound (think its 128kbps or somthing like that)

thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    Your music source is not the best to be honest and you may find that changing the source to a lossless version may well give gains even on your current system.
    The Denon 1912 would be the one I would go for considering it is only £300 so at least £70 cheaper than the 609.

3. youngbuck uk

youngbuck uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your input PSM1, i really like the denon 1912, i notice that i can bi-amp my floorstanders by using the surround back channels, but i could do this with the onkyo too, i know sound quality is a personal taste thing but do you think the denon is on the same level as the onkyo sound quality wise?

4. youngbuck uk

youngbuck uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    anyone else have any opinions on which one to go for? im hoping to aquire one of them tomorow....:lease:

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,350
  6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    You will be able to biamp using the Onkyo. I think I would go for the 1912 considering the price. They are both the same level of receiver so will have similar sound quality.

7. youngbuck uk

youngbuck uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am swaying towards the denon, im a bit worried about onkyo reliablity, ive read a few threads about them running warmer than other brands, (not so sure about the 609 though as it has a built in fan) but the denon doesnt have upscaling for hdmi inputs and the onkyo does....hmmm :confused:

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    Your TV or Bluray/DVD will upscale as well as the 609 so I would not worry about the lack of this feature on the 1912.

9. youngbuck uk

youngbuck uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    just to say, i ordered the onkyo, then at the last min i changed my mind and went for the donon, ill let u know how it goes, thanks PSM1 :thumbsup:

10. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I definitely noticed a good difference when I Bi-Amped my fronts. I'd definitely reccommend giving that a blast.

For cable, I used 4 x 4mm Van-damme cable. It costs about a fiver a metre, but it's nice and solid and it's well shielded. I'd normally never pay more than a couple of quid a metre for cable, but it was the best bi-wire option I could find.