Thinking of upgrading projector to 3D

RichyH

Standard Member
Reaction score
We bought our Epson projector - an TW520 - in 2006 and it's served us pretty well. However, I am now toying with the idea of upgrading to a true HDMI projector and seeing how I've ended up with a small number of 3D Blurays, I thought we might as well go 3D too.

However, I don't know anyone else who has a 3D projector setup and can offer some pearls of wisdom. Our current projector screen is a tripod and is approximately 6ft diameter. I doubt this is big enough for 3D to work effectively so am imagining we'd need to get a new, bigger screen too.

So, anyone taken the plunge? Ideally I want to keep costs down to under £1,000 if at all possible!

Cheers!

I've had a 3d jvc projector and can count the times I've watched a 3d movie on my hands. I would advise you do a full length movie trial first, ie sit through a whole movie in 3d on a small/non cinema size projector screen and see if your eyes suffer any discomfort. Maybe it's just the active shutter 3d as I've enjoyed several 3d movies in the cinema. I think most people find 2d a more comfortable experience and thus one you will use your projector for most so when looking for a new projector I would personally focus on its 2d capabilities and see 3d as a bonus. That being said, the 3d graphics on the jvc x30 are excellent and there are newer and better models in the range but you could prob pick up an x30 for under £1500 now which although is above your budget, the quality vs cheaper models will be noticeable and may make you end up disappointed with your 'upgrade'

I would advise you do a full length movie trial first, ie sit through a whole movie in 3d on a small/non cinema size projector screen and see if your eyes suffer any discomfort.

That's the kind of advice I was hoping for. Having not experienced 3D on a home setup before, I was wondering how the effect worked in general, what size screen you'd need (our current one is just a shade under 6ft in diameter) and so on. I'd imagine a demo at a reputable dealer should be able to let us see at least a few mins in one go if I can find a showroom demoing 3D projectors.

I've only seen 4 films in 3D, and one of those was not by choice. It would be nice to have the option (2D or 3D) but the different technology and the cost (£70 per pair?) for active shutter glasses is an issue. Shame the tech they use in the cinema is so expensive on home projectors as I'd much prefer the passive (and cheaper) glasses we already have lying in a draw at home gathering dust! ;-)

Thanks!

Try Richer Sounds, if you are open and upfront with your intentions, I'm sure they would have no issue with you taking in 30,60,90mins of a movie etc. if you like 3D go for the JVC. It's great on 2D too but I'm not sure how it compares for 2d on that price point

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom