1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of upgrading my AE100 - Advice required

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wozwebs, Feb 15, 2005.

1. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi guys, I currently have a Panny AE100 that I bought a couple of years ago and and still pleased with it every time I switch it on.

We have just decorated our lounge and painted the wall where my former screen (Homebase blackout blind) used to reside (missus orders ;)) a beige light type colour and I set it up for the 1st time tonight and it looks fantastic.

However, the only thing that annoys me slightly is the chicken wire effect that was improved upon in later models. Now I have seen AE100's go from £350-£550 on ebay so I was thinking of selling it and paying a few quid extra to get a newer model which is more up to date.

I use componet from my DMRE55 DVD Recorder which in turn feeds Sky+ though it via Prog Scan. I also have my Xbox rigged up to it via the high-def pack (720dpi Meet the Fockers trailer - from www.divx.com/hd looks awesome BTW)

What would you recommend as a noticable worthy upgrade? I was thinking the AE300 or AE500 or perhaps another make and model that improved the chickenwire effect dramatically since the AE100 came on the scene.

Don't want to pay out a great deal but was thinking ahead to Sky HD so a HDMI inpt would be a bonus (if not essential just yet). Would consider 2nd hand units too.

As always, your expert opinions most welcome :)

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Something with at least xga resolution for DLP, or 720p for LCD. If you want to go LCD, then the Sony HS50 seems the best of the bunch.

Gary.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I went from a AE100 -> AE200 and noticed a immediate improvement in picture but still got the chicken wire effect.
    I then went from AE200 -> BenQ PB6100 DLP (800x600) projector and noticed a huge improvement in chickenwire effect, I can't see it at normal movie watching distances. I've also noticed a huge improvement in contrast ratio's and black levels.

If you are DLP tolerant. See if you can give the BenQ a go. Cost less then 600 quid new.

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Had an AE100 originally.

When i started looking for a newer model i quickly discounted the AE300 as the difference was not that great.

I decided on the AE500 that was a world apart from the AE100 although i did have problems with this unit wrt vbs Panasonic kindly upgraded this to the AE700 f.o.c. and i feel this is a step above the AE500.

So i guess what i am saying is if you are going to stick with Panasonic buy at least the AE500 and above.

Adrenochrome.

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,500
    I have a trusty old AE100 too, so Adrenochrome, on the AE-500 and 700 is the 'chicken wire' effect noticeably improved?

6. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    What chicken wire??

Seriously it is so good you will be saying this :thumbsup:

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,500
    wow, if that's the case I guess I will have to start saving for an upgrade.

Only just paid off the last item I upgraded! But thats HC for you.

8. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for the info chaps - I think it's just a case of waiting to see if someone sells an AE-500 on the classifieds or ebay. I still think my AE100 is WOW!! when I see it on my wall so I guess an AE500 would result in tripple WOW's!!