1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Upgrading Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wokeye, Apr 15, 2003.

1. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am thinking of upgrading to a better digital camera, at the moment I have an Olympus C-300 zoom 3 mega pixel. On the whole this camera is really good but I was after something a little better. The camera's I had in mind was first the Fuji S602, although I am a little dubious about this camera as it is only a 3 mega pixel, I believe it is capable of a 6 mega pixel output through interpolation but couldn't this be acheived in Photoshop anyway with any 3 mega pixel camera through software interpolation? And would say a genuine 5 mega pixel camera (Olympus C-5050z for example) give better results than a camera that is using interpolation? I just think this camera is maybe a little expensive for a 3 mega pixel camera!

The other models I had in mind was the Olympus C-5050 zoom 5 mega pixel, the Minolta Dimage F300 5 mega pixel, or if I really stretch my finances the Minolta Dimage 7i 5 mega pixel. Any ideas please?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Minolta Dimage 7i is a great camera. If I had the money I would own one. My cousin has one and uses it for freelance journalism. Its easy to use and incredibly versatile. It made my S45 look like a block of lard in comparison. You may want to add the Canon S45, G3 and S50 (5 megapixel) to your short (but getting longer) list. When I bought my S45 I compared it to the Olympus G5050Zoom. Despite less megapixels I found the canon much easier to use.

3. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes thanks for your help, the G3 does seem like a fairly attractive camera as the S45 that you have too! I just want something that is a big step up from what I have. Although I do think the the S45 will be better as it got better press than my camera did! Also quite a bit more expensive! The Olympus C-5050 zoom is not an option I think as it is not much cheaper than the Dimage 7i and the Minolta has a better zoom, I will have to do some more research!

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seriously, if you can stretch to the Dimage 7i, do so.

Its a seriously nice camera. Above the headlining features (ie better zoom/optics/etc) the features that I thought were neat but unsung:
    eye piece detects if it is being used and switches off LCD
    AA powered (a bigplus)
    Hot shoe for external flash
    Well thought out positioning of controls and feels better in the hand than a compact
    Well thought out menu options
    Altho not an SLR its almost as its a digital viewfinder so no parralax error

I really cant think of anything bad to say about this camera.

5. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most people will promote the camera they chose to buy. I'm no exception:) I recently got the Oly 5050 and have to say the more I use it the better I like it. I feel as if I am in control of the photo.
    Look at the forums at dpreview . There are users talking about most models of camera available - the good and the bad points.

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Canon D30, available at very attractive prices (used) now that the 10D has been released.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I've got both the (origional) Dimage 7 & the S30 (baby brother of S45/50)
    Both of these cameras are great for different uses.
    The D7 has large zoom & great quality but is a bit bulky to carry around at times.
    The S30 is small, good quality and has all the manual features of the D7, but uses propriatary batteries.
    Obviously you want to get a better quality camera (higher pixel, better optics etc.) but what else do you want from the camera?
    As I have said, both of my cameras are good for what they are used for, but no camera is great for everything.
    If you want best quality, largest zoom etc. then it wll be heavy and bulky, and you might even want to go for a full SLR digicam if your budget will go that far. If you are willing to compromise for a smaller lighter camera then the S45/50 etc are grat cameras too.

Mark.

8. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks for the advice guys, the size of the camera is not that much of an issue as I usually use it when fell walking (live very close to Lake District) not taking to parties or on holidays but I can see why this is a big issue!. But the cost is! I was just wanting something that I could experiment more with (as my Olympus C-300 zoom is limited, although it is superb for what it is!) ie. more manual options, and obviously something with a higher pixel count so I can possibly send off files to be printed A3 (I only have A4 printer) also obviously a higher pixel camera is better for cropping images. I do like the look of the Canon sureshot G3 although it is quite expensive for a 4MP camera, and the S50 (5MP) might be a better bet (lens maybe not as good). Although I do have soft spot for Olympus camera's so the C5050 zoom might be an option as I feel you get more for your money with an Olympus (I sometimes think you are maybe paying a little more for a name with Canon, although they are very good). But the Minolta Dimage certainly looks the part, it is difficult as so many reviews vary in magazines for all camera's. A guy I work with has a Fuji S602 and he swears by it so I do not know, as I say it is just the pixel count that puts me off that! Decisions, decisions!

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ignore any comments by me. I compared the S45 to the Oly C50 zoom not the 5050 zoom.

Saying that after a quick look, id still put my money on the minolta! Some nice features on the 5050 tho.