1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking of TH42PWD4 - help!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by IGADHIA, Jun 3, 2002.

1. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some questions I would really appreciate if you guys could help me clear them up. (i am a newbie for plasmas!)

1. prices differences between 50 and 42 inch version. is it worth it for the extra 8? is there a decent priced 50'' out there for around 5-5.5k ish?

2. The connections. so how does this work? on the screen or via a tuner box? what about if I wanted sky digital coneected to display as well as DVD player? high quality connections available? what about if I want to connect my Imac to the big display?

so many questions!

thanks for all your help!

( you guys heard of company 'digital direct' ! they have offered TH42PWD4 to me for 3600 all in!! seems good no? anything that I should be careful of?)

thanks again

2. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I haven't seen the 50" version so couldn't really comment further than it's a lot more money!

Connection wise, the display has 1 VGA port, the BNC card which should be supplied with it has a further component/rgb, s-video and composite video connection.

It's well worth investing it an RGB to VGA convertor (about £120)for things like Sky/Itv digital as this leaves the component connections free for a DVD player.

Be aware that if you plug anything into the s-video port the compsite video port is disabled, this should only be a problem if you're using the RBG input which requires synch in composite video i.e. direct cable from a scart connector (Buy an RGB->VGA convertor!).

£3600 sounds like a good price to me though I haven't been watching the prices recently - does it include a wall bracket?

Neil

3. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok this is a little confusing for me now. what do I want to do?
    connect my plasma to Sky digital, dvd player, my imac and an xbox.

can anyone help me as to how would I go about doing this in the best way.

also explanations on the use of a 'tuner box' would be appreciated. can I have every connecting to a tuner box (on a rack somewhere0 and a single cable from the tuner box to the display?

confusion confusion!

4. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no...but i just found www.discounttv.co.uk do it even cheaper!

5. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Best bet is the RGB->VGA convertor, buy a scart switching box (£10 for a manual one from Argos) take the scart (RGB) output from this into the RGB->VGA convertor. From the convertor box you have a single VGA cable and a phono lead assuming you want to use the built in amplifier to the plasma. You probably have scart pass through on the DVD or Sky box, if so you may not need the scart switching box.

If the imac has a VGA output you can plug it straight in but the resolution is not very good and you'd have to unplug the VGA convertor inless you could find a switch box for that too!

Best advice re the tuner box seems to be steer well clear...

Neil

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Igadhia

The Panasonic panel has so few inputs it gets confusing for the beginner to work out how best to hook up the system :)

So, a few questions back to you before you arrive at a simple connectivity solution:

Which DVD player?

Which AV amp - if any?

How many IR handsets are you willing to use? - or how much extra are you willing to spend to 'automate' your switching?

When it comes to the choice between a 50" vs. the 42" it really gets down to a couple of simple questions:

How far are you planning to sit from your screen?

Is this the room your system will be set up in for the foreseeable future or are you likely to change rooms in the near future?

Have you got the extra cash to jump from sub £4k to nearer £7K for a good 50" display?

I've yet to meet anyone that has regretted splashing out on the bigger screen given the budget and a bigger room - though we do have a few customers who quickly want to upgrade from a 42" panel to a 50" (or bigger); in fact I've got one 42" panel just now that's only two weeks old and the guy is desperate to jump up to a 50" panel already!

Best regards

Joe

PS One additional question - are you willing to pay a little extra for good advice? :)

7. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD player?... undecided as yet. something progressive scan

amp? Denon 3802 is the one I will probably go for.

IR Handset? I'll be getting on of all in one learning things anyway so no problem

i just want the plasma to display a decent picture, the sound everything elese will come from other componants... my question is purley... how can I conect everything that displays a picture on a screen. ie dvdplayer, games console, sky digital, imac etc

pay for advice... I would consider it but I think I have done really well here in forums so far!

still unsure about the extra ££ for a 50'' maybe something to think about once my rooms is built etc, I dont think the distace from the screen is an issue.

thanks for you help!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Igadhia

Sound's like you are on the right track with your plan to match the Panasonic Plasma with the Denon AV amp - we have many customers who use the AVR-3802 along with this Plasma display.

So connectivity options - you could go:
    iMac G3 - VGA out to VGA in on the Plasma Display.
    or
    iMac G4 - mini VGA out to VGA in on the Plasma Display (requires Apple adapter).
    then
    DVD - Component out to Component in on AVR-3802
    Digibox - RGB out to RGB in on RGB 2 Component converter
    RGB 2 Component converter - Component out to Component in on AVR-3802
    AVR-3802 - Component out to Component in on Plasma Display
    X-box - S-Video out to S-Video in on Plasma Display

Notes:
    X-Box - you may want to use an RGB cable if so we can adapt this plan to suit.
    S-Video - you may have other sources and want to route all S-Video sources through the AVR-3802 and then the AVR-3802 into the Plasma Display.

Trust this all makes sense.

Best regards

Joe

PS Just joking about paying for advice;)

9. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds excellent!

but one thing.... this is going to be an eyesore when it comes to cabling..

I kinda liked the idea of everything plugging into a box and one lead from the box into the plasma.... (its going to be wall mounted so not nice to have 6 cables trailing....

can you think of anything ? why so bad to have a tuner box?

you have already been a great help....

its the final stretch now!!!

:D

10. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!
    I'm in similar position (I have denon 3802, digibox, PS2, Pioneer DVD-747A) with view to buying Panny Plasma 42" soon.
    I'm thinking:

DVD component to 3802
    PS2 S-video to 3802
    Digibox via RGB-S-video converter to 3802
    Component to plasma (DVD only)
    S-video to plasma (PS2 & Digibox)

This is best practical set-up, but I'd really rather go the VGA route for the digibox as this would be better quality, but would mean an extra lead to the plasma and a more expensive converter. Hmmm....is the difference between s-video & VGA worth it?

11. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In my opinion definately go for RGB/VGA over s-video I've found the colour to be far superior. It's only a small extra cost when you're buying a plasma...

Neil

12. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I'm in a similar position and was waiting on the feedback fro one of the keene rgb>vga built-in cables ... half the price of the john sims box and one less cable required ...

have a look at keene.co.uk ..

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Igadhia

So you want to keep all that expensive cabling hidden!

The Tuner is a great idea - unfortunately its not too well executed and tends to degrade the incoming signals rather than just simply pass them through to the panel.

The most obvious option being to simply run the cables within your wall - assuming you have a cavity wall and are handy at a bit of DIY; or are very handy at DIY and you can cut and re-plaster a wall.

Or you could go with an SMS wall bracket which has inbuilt cable management but requires that you see a vertically mounted pillar below the panel. See http://www.sms.safebrackets.se/defaulteng.htm

You could always cut down on one cable by going with the Denon AVC-A1SR amp - this converts Composite and S-Video signals to Component.

Neil - agreed the RGB2VGA is better than the RGB2S-Video and I'm hoping the all NEW RGB2Component is even better.

Jont - stick with Johns Box; it does a great job and has a proper power supply.

Best regards

Joe

14. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've asked John Sim about the RGB to YUV component box and he said, and I quote:
    "we are looking at such a converter and it is currently on test by a trade customer"
    So it will be available 'soon' I suspect.

15. Jen

Jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so be gentle!

I'm expecting delivery of my lovely new Panny TH37PW4B any day now and also have some questions about connections. I have a Marantz PM6010 Ki Signature stereo amp at the moment and a pair of Tannoy Revolution R3s. The plasma is my first step into a home cinema setup but my main priority at the moment is to get an excellent picture with stereo sound only. I will have a Sky digibox installed in a week or so and plan to connect this with an RGB to Plasma VGA converter box. The stereo outputs from the converter box will have to go into my amp under the 'aux' setting.

This is fine, but what happens when I get a DVD player (I'm planning on the Tosh SD 510e)? I can connect the video via components directly to the plasma but where can I put the sound? The only inputs I have spare on my amp are 'Tape' and 'Tuner'.

Also, I also plan to get a Gamecube and could use s-video to connect this to the plasma, but again, what about the sound? Does the gamecube have audio outputs? I thought about using SCART and putting it through the digibox but I don't know if the digibox has a SCART input on it!

Heeeeeelp!!

TIA, Jen

16. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can use either Tape or Tuner input for the DVD or game cube, they should all be identical. Phono is the only input which would not be suitable.

Can't answer the game cube audio output question though if it has scarth then you should be able to pass this through the Digibox.

Neil