• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Thinking of switching from ATV to the new Mini.......

gilford

Distinguished Member
Now that the new Mini is out with HDMI etc I was considering a move over to this from the ATV.

Has anyone moved from the ATV to a Mini (previous gen)?

Is it just as simple to use using Front Row etc?

I was expecting a new ATV to be announced last week but nothing has, I really fancy a change so this could satisfy my inner Apple whore for a while :rotfl:

Cheers

RobM

Distinguished Member
I made the same move ages ago and for me, it didn't work. Reason being, the Apple TV interface is not the same as Front Row and you lose out on the direct Movie rentals, Movie purchases, TV purchases etc.

On the Mini you can download a film through iTunes and then play it through Front Row when it has finished downloading. But with ATV, you can find a film and be watching it after just a few minutes.

So it depends on how you use your ATV now. If it's just for watching content you already have downloaded and saved, you'll be absolutely fine as Front Row is good enough and there are plenty of other interfaces around. But if the direct and simple access to iTunes Movies etc is important, it's just not the same.

hutch

Distinguished Member
As Rob says if you rent and buy movies through your ATV then you will lose that feature.

If, however, its for watching content you already have then a Mini and Plex is the way to go. Blows the ATV out of the water :smashin:

gilford

Distinguished Member
As Rob says if you rent and buy movies through your ATV then you will lose that feature.

If, however, its for watching content you already have then a Mini and Plex is the way to go. Blows the ATV out of the water :smashin:

You can rent and buy HD films on the iTunes store now though. Are they accessible via Plex or Front Row?

ianmacd

Established Member
I used to use front row on a mac mini. Got an ATV to replace the mac and stuck xbmc on it (as all my content is on network storage). Ended up sticking the ATV in the bedroom (as I didnt use it for music as I have a sonos and my bedroom roku stopped working) and went back to the mac mini this time with plex though. Plex is great especially if you have a harmony remote (and much better at playing movies than front row as its vlc not quicktime).

gilford

Distinguished Member
I'm torn, oh what to do.....?

Think I'll hold out for a month, I've got a feeling Stevie has got an ATV update up his sleeve........;)

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I wonder how the new Mini works with a proper MDMI out?

Can I play Blu Ray backups with full 1080p and HD Audio via my HD Receiver?

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply, but I dont think I could spend the money based on a presumption.

I agree its possibly that straight forward, but I cant warrant spending unless I know for sure.

Messiah

Prominent Member
Sure I read somewhere recently that the new Mini still does not support HD Audio. Still DD/DTS 5.1 only at this time.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Definitely out of the equation then!

I can get it to work via PS3 ok at the moment, with minimal fuss so will stick with that for now then. Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom