Thinking of swapping my Kuro LX5050, what's the best replacement?

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically since I had this set last year I've had a few niggles with it. I've tried living with them but have now decided I want a set that does everything I want it to, unlike this one sadly.

John Lewis will replace the set for an equivalent model (about £2K) and I do like Panasonic, as I had a 42" plasma before this one that was superb.

What's the best put there now?

Basically since I had this set last year I've had a few niggles with it. I've tried living with them but have now decided I want a set that does everything I want it to, unlike this one sadly.

John Lewis will replace the set for an equivalent model (about £2K) and I do like Panasonic, as I had a 42" plasma before this one that was superb.

It would be helpful if you listed the things you want your TV/Display to do. :smashin:

:D Well I guess every new TV will have a tuner that works!
Your 5090 was obviously faulty.
I'd have a 50VT30 if John Lewis are prepared to go up to 2K, you got a good deal there.

:D Well I guess every new TV will have a tuner that works!
Your 5090 was obviously faulty.
I'd have a 50VT30 if John Lewis are prepared to go up to 2K, you got a good deal there.
From some one who traded their own 5090 for a vt20, NO......

May be a vt20 or even 30 is a good tv for most users IMHO its not if the user previously had a 9g set. I may be wrong but you may regret it much more, cost me loads too learning this lesson :(

But if you want 3d then what choice do you have except a d8000

So better the devil you know than the devil you don't then?

Andy, are you the one who sees the PWM noise on your panel?

A Panasonic will be a less noisier image for sure, its how they're made, BUT do you think you could live with all the other traits such as the 50Hz motion issue, which is not a problem on the 5090?

After having a sony 52hx903,samsung 63c7000x2,panny 65vt20 last year and after pre ordering a sony 55hx923 to be told last week its been put back another month i got a 60lx6090 a few days ago and trust me i now understand all the hype about kuro's you will regret it if you sell whats IS THE BEST 50" you can buy full stop.

If the tuner is your only issue then don't do it...nothing can touch the Kuros (and I'm speaking from experience). Go for anything else and you open a whole new (and bigger) bag of problems.

Will say it again dont do it i have only had my kuro 3 days but i cannot even believe it took me so long finding tv perfection it could just be the tuner board.

I also see a slight flash of brightness when watching anything through the Blu-Ray player. I've contacted Pioneer about it and they say it could be the player of the HDMI port at the back.

We just bought a new Panasonic LCd LED set for upstairs, 32" and it's a got a great picture. Does look a bit punchier than the Kuro to my eyes... it's because of this I'm tempted for the Panasonic TX-P50VT30B.

We just bought a new Panasonic LCd LED set for upstairs, 32" and it's a got a great picture. Does look a bit punchier than the Kuro to my eyes... it's because of this I'm tempted for the Panasonic TX-P50VT30B.

Hmm no offence but I'd be thinking through the logic on that one! You looked at an LCD, and that's got you tempted by the VT30? The VT30 is one of the dullest sets out there, certainly more so than the Kuro, let alone an LCD. Ask ******** about the brightness :)

The pix posted of the VT30 on a thread here look very good to me... gonna go and have a look at one this weekend now.

The TV you are looking for probably doesn't exist.

I've also got a 9G Pioneer and I also see niggles with it but I've learned to accept them.

These niggles are the noisy image and and inferior motion and black levels when compared to a reasonable CRT TV.

I've always watched TV in a darkish room and if you are the same then I'd be very wary of 'upgrading' to any TV with similar or inferior black levels to your 9G kuro.

I've still got an old Sony CRT in one of the bedrooms upstairs and it dates back to the mid 1990s. I recently optimised the menu settings on it and the difference in black level performance is now very noticeable on dark scenes compared to the kuro. i.e. the CRT is much better. In comparison the plasma gives its trademark 'very dark grey' in these critical viewing conditions and it looks washed out and can ruin the sense of absorption in the movie :(

eg dark movies like 'Descent' can lose their eery atmosphere unless you can get good black levels so if you do go and see the VT30 then check out the black level in a dark room if you can.

Last edited:
The TV you are looking for probably doesn't exist.

I've also got a 9G Pioneer and I also see niggles with it but I've learned to accept them.

These niggles are the noisy image and and inferior motion and black levels when compared to a reasonable CRT TV.

I've always watched TV in a darkish room and if you are the same then I'd be very wary of 'upgrading' to any TV with similar or inferior black levels to your 9G kuro.

I've still got an old Sony CRT in one of the bedrooms upstairs and it dates back to the mid 1990s. I recently optimised the menu settings on it and the difference in black level performance is now very noticeable on dark scenes compared to the kuro. i.e. the CRT is much better. In comparison the plasma gives its trademark 'very dark grey' in these critical viewing conditions and it looks washed out and can ruin the sense of absorption in the movie :(

eg dark movies like 'Descent' can lose their eery atmosphere unless you can get good black levels so if you do go and see the VT30 then check out the black level in a dark room if you can.

I remember the days spent watching a decent Sony CRT, I never even thought about black levels, I just thought what a nice image.............happy days eh!:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom