Thinking of selling my beloved Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature

Waynester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thinking of selling my Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player.. I’ve had it since 1998, still works fine and sounds good, but I’m thinking it’s time to get someat that sounds a lot better..? What would be the next one up from this you guys would suggest and what could I get for my CD63 if i were to try and sell it?

Attachments

• 95E66693-C0FF-4B30-965B-9AFF6F76D852.jpeg
    95E66693-C0FF-4B30-965B-9AFF6F76D852.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 222
  • A24A77F7-2602-4A32-8A55-E1CD51130787.jpeg
    A24A77F7-2602-4A32-8A55-E1CD51130787.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 1FFF0FE1-3747-48AB-B9CA-804A64C35FA7.jpeg
    1FFF0FE1-3747-48AB-B9CA-804A64C35FA7.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 6FC83638-5636-4CF8-A9D4-2A47D557AF75.jpeg
    6FC83638-5636-4CF8-A9D4-2A47D557AF75.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 777
  • E07F55CD-AB61-4291-80AC-5268408E421D.jpeg
    E07F55CD-AB61-4291-80AC-5268408E421D.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 260
  • C38E0F68-DEE8-4389-9301-51DE5BB56A09.jpeg
    C38E0F68-DEE8-4389-9301-51DE5BB56A09.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 198
  • DF3923F2-2D3E-4B4C-8C77-C62C1230885B.jpeg
    DF3923F2-2D3E-4B4C-8C77-C62C1230885B.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 187
There are a few on flea bay for around £225.

This looks like a good upgrade but hearing reliability issues ?

DACs have improved in the intervening years and production costs have come down but that old Marantz didn't have KI on it for nothing. I had a cd6006 and didn't have any reliability issues at all and I sold it on to a member on here. It has a very good Cirrus Logic DAC onboard, the same DAC that Marantz fitted to the higher tier sa8005 SACD player, which I also own. The sa8005, because of a better analogue circuit and better build to the transport has a better performance over the 6006.

There was some problems with the drive units on the sa8005 and I did have to have mine repaired under warranty no problems since and until around six weeks ago it was in use every day for several hours. I don't think that there is a CDP to beat the cd6006 under £500 and is always a player I'll happily recommend.

DACs have improved in the intervening years and production costs have come down but that old Marantz didn't have KI on it for nothing.

What he said.

I use the Marantz CD63SE Mk2 - this was the starting point for the KI version. I appreciate the KI version was, to many ears (not all), better sounding than the SE Mk2 version, but the DAC within is still old tech. and frankly, probably not up to much. So, assuming you use the player's analogue output then most new CD players will be a revelation. If you use the player's digital output (into a good, modern DAC) then you may not notice any sonic differences with a new player.

The Marantz CD6006 UK edition is probably your best option.

I have a CD6000 OSE LE which is the model after this, (mine is not the KI though). It still works great but I found it sounds better on my Cambridge Audio DAC 100 than the built in one, despite them being a huge amount of attention and care to this on the Marantz.

I think the DAC chips them selves have come on massively in the past ten years. The only mechanical issue with my CD player is the tray seems very tired now, it takes a long time to open.

I bought a second hand one of these a few months ago, mainly out of nostalgia because I always regretted selling the one I owned years earlier, and sure enough wind forward a few months and it started being a bit temperamental reading discs. They don’t last forever unfortunately.

While it was working I enjoyed it, but mainly used it via the digital out. By comparison the analogue out was a touch soft and fuzzy, but pleasant enough. Then I replaced it with an Audiolab 6000CDT transport and realised that even via digital out the venerable KI was past its prime.

I’d recommend selling it if it’s in good condition and full working order. Then you’re half way to getting something to replace it that will sound better.

I bought a second hand one of these a few months ago, mainly out of nostalgia because I always regretted selling the one I owned years earlier, and sure enough wind forward a few months and it started being a bit temperamental reading discs. They don’t last forever unfortunately.

While it was working I enjoyed it, but mainly used it via the digital out. By comparison the analogue out was a touch soft and fuzzy, but pleasant enough. Then I replaced it with an Audiolab 6000CDT transport and realised that even via digital out the venerable KI was past its prime.

I’d recommend selling it if it’s in good condition and full working order. Then you’re half way to getting something to replace it that will sound better.

I’ve had mine since 1997, never ever missed a beat or had any issues... sounds good, but obviously it’s only going through my Denon AVRX2200, i find it a bit thin sounding and lacking oooomph... but that’s probably my AVR and not the CD player? I just checked and I’ve used the digital out on it and not the analogue outputs, will there be a big different between the the 2?

will deffo upgrade it i reckon... think I’ll advertise the Marantz for £230

Attachments

• 12E9E28D-86B7-4DD9-9BB9-63CE33E1E53E.jpeg
    12E9E28D-86B7-4DD9-9BB9-63CE33E1E53E.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
As DT says, they are very old now.

I loved mine at the time, but I wouldn’t buy another, even for nostalgic reasons. Just too likely to soon have transport issues.

I replaced mine with the basic Naim CD5 which was simply a far, far better CD player.

Should have been of course. It cost twice as much.

If you fancy a change, a used Naim would be worth a shot. And you’d get your money back if it’s not your thing.

Naims certainly don’t sound thin. But, as you say, plenty of AVRs do.

I loved mine at the time, but I wouldn’t buy another, even for nostalgic reasons. Just too likely to soon have transport issues.

I replaced mine with the basic Naim CD5 which was simply a far, far better CD player.

If you fancy a change, a used Naim would be worth a shot. And you’d get your money back if it’s not your thing.

still thinking about going for the Marantz CD6006 here Marantz CD6006 UK Edition CD Player | MArantz | Audio T

Would love to compare the 2 of them, I’ll look at the Naim also

In fact i think if you buy a second hand Naim anything and hang on to it for more than about 3 years you’ll almost certainly make money it seems. I used to have a CDX2; bought second hand, sold for about what I paid for it, but now they’re about 50% more again. Madness! Sorry for the digression.

In fact i think if you buy a second hand Naim anything and hang on to it for more than about 3 years you’ll almost certainly make money it seems. I used to have a CDX2; bought second hand, sold for about what I paid for it, but now they’re about 50% more again. Madness! Sorry for the digression.

An odd brand, Naim.

I had the lower tier stuff; a CD5, 150X, 122X and a Flatcap 2X, along with a pair of SBLs. I did enjoy that lot.

It was a goodly while ago, but I’m sure a made a modest profit after about four years. Shame that doesn’t happen more often.

I’ve had both. The 63 KI is a lovely player, just so musical. Ken Ishitawa, by his own admittance, created players to elicit an emotional response so they are something special. They are also 25 years old. It could forever. It could break tomorrow. The CD6006 UK is a terrific player. Far more detail and resolution but keeps that Marantz special touch. Nobody can tell you what sounds better to you. I pretty much guarantee it won’t be a night and day difference. This might interest you
I would suggest borrowing one, buying a secondhand one and try it yourself (you can sell it on without losing out). If anybody was looking for a cd player for £500 or less, the 6006 U.K must be in an audition list.

When using my Marantz CD player into my AVR, is it worth trying the analogue outs on the Marantz into the Denon or carry on using the digital out?

AV receivers will never sound as good for two channel hifi as a dedicated amplifier. If you’re using the digital out on the Marantz, you’re bypassing it’s DAC and it’s just a transport, probably a slightly jittery one, too. Use the analogue outs and compare. Shame to have a KI and not actually be hearing it: you’re hearing the Denon’s DAC.

AV receivers will never sound as good for two channel hifi as a dedicated amplifier. If you’re using the digital out on the Marantz, you’re bypassing it’s DAC and it’s just a transport, probably a slightly jittery one, too. Use the analogue outs and compare. Shame to have a KI and not actually be hearing it: you’re hearing the Denon’s DAC.

okay I’ll try the analogue outs into the Denon AVR tomorrow... I have heard my KI through my setup years ago which was an Arcam Alpha full system 😊

Sadly the weak link in the chain is the Denon receiver. Even if you run analogue out from the Marantz there is going to be some digital interference in the signal you will get from the Denon. At least having a digital link as well as analogue could have you listening to what sounds the best.

Maybe I’ll connect analogue and digital at same time and then switch between the 2 and compare... but yeah the Denon AVR has to go soon 🤣

Sadly the weak link in the chain is the Denon receiver. Even if you run analogue out from the Marantz there is going to be some digital interference in the signal you will get from the Denon. At least having a digital link as well as analogue could have you listening to what sounds the best.

Looking at ordering a Cyrus ONE amp... not the HD one as i can’t afford it, would this be a better addition to add to my Denon AVR and get a superior sound and does it have HT bypass?

Looking at ordering a Cyrus ONE amp... not the HD one as i can’t afford it, would this be a better addition to add to my Denon AVR and get a superior sound and does it have HT bypass?
According to the list I have it does have HT by-pass. I quite like the Cyrus signature.

According to the list I have it does have HT by-pass. I quite like the Cyrus signature.

Any other amps with HT bypass?
even a decent used one?

Oooh I found a list of HT Bypass amps here

id Best get looking...
can’t really afford more than £250 to £300 at this time

Here's the list I always look at. I use a Rega Elicit-R. Used are few and far between.

Posts crossed. Same list.

So.... if get a proper amp..

I run the Marantz KI CD into that, connect the 2 front MA Bronze 6 speakers into the amp.. then is it easy to setup the HT Bypasss thingy so I can watch movies and still use the new amp to run the fronts... am I able to use the QA sub with my Bronze 6’s for a bit of extra “oooomph” when listening to Music CD’s?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom