Thinking of selling my beloved Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature

gibbsy

I've just gone back and read your original post. You have a Denon X2200, yes? If so it doesn't have pre-outs, you cannot connect a HT by-pass stereo amp to it. You would need to use a speaker switcher.

Waynester

I just watched a video where a home cinema enthusiast plugged his front left and right and centre from his Denon AVR into a power amp so that it would power those 3 speakers...😱 or would you recommend just running the 2 front floorstanders and let the AVR do the centre the sub and rear surrounds?
I've just gone back and read your original post. You have a Denon X2200, yes? If so it doesn't have pre-outs, you cannot connect a HT by-pass stereo amp to it. You would need to use a speaker switcher.

Damn! Forgot that lol!! Bloody AVRX2200!

gibbsy

A power amp shouldn't colour the signature of the pre-amp circuit, in our case a Denon pre-amp. If the pre-amp is poor for music then that signal is going to be get amplified by the power amp, that's it's job. Adding a power amp can certainly bring benefits in headroom and make for a more pleasant listening environment but it will not improve on stereo music presentation. For very active scenes in a movie, say the first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan a low powered receiver will have to work really hard when all connected speakers are involved. Adding a power amp will take the strain off the receiver and the speakers deliver a better audio presentation without running out of puff.

Waynester

Oh right 😳 I thought as I want a bigger fuller sound when listenting to Music cd’s, adding a separate amp to an AVR and plugging my Marantz CD player into the new amp and letting the new amp power the 2 front MA Bronze 6’s would improve the sound immensely?

gibbsy

You can add a new amp into your system no problem but if you want to use the same front speakers then that has to be done via a speaker switcher as the 2200 doesn't have pre-outs and therefore cannot be connected to the stereo amp. Even if you could connect the Denon to a power amp it is still going to sound poor with music. A standalone stereo amp costing the same as the 2200 (at new prices) will absolutely trounce it.

Waynester

You can add a new amp into your system no problem but if you want to use the same front speakers then that has to be done via a speaker switcher as the 2200 doesn't have pre-outs and therefore cannot be connected to the stereo amp. Even if you could connect the Denon to a power amp it is still going to sound poor with music. A standalone stereo amp costing the same as the 2200 (at new prices) will absolutely trounce it.

Yeah okay... I’d best upgrade my AVR first then as need the pre outs

Waynester

I thought by getting a new amp and upgrading my AVR, it would change my sound, I gotta use my Bronze 6’s for 2 channel music and also want them for my home cinema experience

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I thought by getting a new amp and upgrading my AVR, it would change my sound, I gotta use my Bronze 6’s for 2 channel music and also want them for my home cinema experience

If you want the best of both worlds on a budget, I’d get rid of the Denon and buy a used Anthem MRX.

They are exceptionally gifted AV receivers and play music very well indeed.

And you’ll get the original ARC room correction which will do wonders for your sub/speaker/room integration.

I swear you will love it.

Just buy this one, you won’t regret it.

:

And sell the Denon. It’s erm... average.

PlasmaNewbie

After reading this thread, I decided to blow the dust off my old Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature. Its been in its box for a few years (swapped back to vinyl ) .

Still looks like new, powered it on, put batteries in the remote, put a disc in.....

.... and the transport is dead :facepalm:

DT79

After reading this thread, I decided to blow the dust off my old Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature. Its been in its box for a few years (swapped back to vinyl ) .

Still looks like new, powered it on, put batteries in the remote, put a disc in.....

.... and the transport is dead :facepalm:
You can replace it yourself relatively easily if you‘re handy....the complete replacement transport is only about £20 on ebay.

PlasmaNewbie

You can replace it yourself

I had thought of that, but I think it’s time to let it go.... My PM66 KI has dropped a channel as well, so it might be a trip to the tip. (Or finding someone who wants them...)

DT79

I had thought of that, but I think it’s time to let it go.... My PM66 KI has dropped a channel as well, so it might be a trip to the tip. (Or finding someone who wants them...)
Fair enough. You’d get something for them as spares or repairs on eBay.

PlasmaNewbie

Fair enough. You’d get something for them as spares or repairs on eBay.

i‘m actually going to try an find someone (a student?) who can fix em, and make use of them (even if it’s to sell on).

Just ordered an ex demo Marantz ND8006. I was going to buy a dac (2qute) and then thought cd+dac+streamer, made some sense. Just need to decide on amp Elicit-R to pair with my Raga RS5’s if I am been sensible; or Aethos and Kef reference 1’s if I’m not!

Waynester

So.... just got my new cables to use in my Marantz CD player... left the optical cable connected going from it into my Denon AVR, then connected these new cables from the Marantz analogue outs into the AVR, turnt off the optical input on the AVR and listened to the Marantz using its inbuilt DAC, can’t say I’m noticing any difference at all, although I do have Dynamic EQ on which I like.... should there be a massive difference between optical and analogue then?😳

Attachments

• 4F17B54C-C31B-45A8-94C2-0AD1D5656B94.jpeg
    4F17B54C-C31B-45A8-94C2-0AD1D5656B94.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 12

gibbsy

So.... just got my new cables to use in my Marantz CD player... left the optical cable connected going from it into my Denon AVR, then connected these new cables from the Marantz analogue outs into the AVR, turnt off the optical input on the AVR and listened to the Marantz using its inbuilt DAC, can’t say I’m noticing any difference at all, although I do have Dynamic EQ on which I like.... should there be a massive difference between optical and analogue then?😳
I doubt very much with the Denon as the Denon is really the weak link. For critical listening do you have headphones as they can really help detect the differences between the Marantz DAC and that on the Denon as the room will be taken out of the equation.

Waynester

I doubt very much with the Denon as the Denon is really the weak link. For critical listening do you have headphones as they can really help detect the differences between the Marantz DAC and that on the Denon as the room will be taken out of the equation.

As in headphones plugged into exactly where to compare mate?

gibbsy

As in headphones plugged into exactly where to compare mate?
Because everything is running through the Denon I would use the Denon's headphone jack. The headphone circuit on most Denon's is pretty strong. Try the optical input against the analogue one to compare how both perform for detail going through the Denon. The Denon still puts even analogue signals back into the digital domain because of it's design.

JerryKeyz

Novice Member
Thinking of selling my Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player.. I’ve had it since 1998, still works fine and sounds good, but I’m thinking it’s time to get someat that sounds a lot better..? What would be the next one up from this you guys would suggest and what could I get for my CD63 if i were to try and sell it?
I would NEVER sell this machine. It is genius in design. It sounds genius. And even though some people are saying "it's old tech" this is no criteria... Yes of course there are better, faster DAC's that can master multiple resolutions and all that, but in the end the music counts. I am still using a CD63 KI as my personal reference player for CD format playback. If I want better, I listen to SACD or master quality streams. But for CD, this is the one and only.

Waynester

I would NEVER sell this machine. It is genius in design. It sounds genius. And even though some people are saying "it's old tech" this is no criteria... Yes of course there are better, faster DAC's that can master multiple resolutions and all that, but in the end the music counts. I am still using a CD63 KI as my personal reference player for CD format playback. If I want better, I listen to SACD or master quality streams. But for CD, this is the one and only.

there are now BETTER machines from Marantz, but your entitled to your opinion

JerryKeyz

Novice Member
there are now BETTER machines from Marantz, but your entitled to your opinion

I might be interested in one or two other players, but where I live I can't buy a 6006 UK Edition. Another interesting player is the Rotel CD11 Tribute, I believe this is the last one tuned by Ken Ishiwata; he didn't get to the final design though before he died.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I might be interested in one or two other players, but where I live I can't buy a 6006 UK Edition. Another interesting player is the Rotel CD11 Tribute, I believe this is the last one tuned by Ken Ishiwata; he didn't get to the final design though before he died.

Even if you could buy one, I certainly wouldn't do so based on anything whathifi say!

Last edited:

JerryKeyz

Novice Member
Even if you could buy one, I certainly would do so based on anything whathifi say!
I sometimes buy on what magazines say without having heard the device, but I mostly buy after testing with a good pair of headphones. Not easy these days..

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I sometimes buy on what magazines say without having heard the device, but I mostly buy after testing with a good pair of headphones. Not easy these days..

Just edited my post. I had missed out a couple of very important letters!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021