Thinking of replacing TV with projector, could use some advice

smellymctoast

Novice Member
Reaction score
So as the title says really guys,

First I'd like to know if this is even realistically possible with bulb life and light restrictions.

Second, if it is, I need some help with what to get, I currently have a mac mini, xbox, wii and apple tv all plugged in to my TV, using just two remotes, tv remote and apple remote. My understanding is that with a projector I will also need a freeview box (to actually watch tv) and an audio receiver to plug everything in to for actual sound, is this correct?

Projectors don't come with built in tv tuners (except the cheapo Chinese ones which are crap)so a freeview box will be needed.Also no sound either so at least an a/v receiver and some speakers will also need to be provided.

Projectors are not really suited to be used like a tv (on for 6-10hrs a day with frequent on/off cycles) they are best used for movies and games and used for 2-4hr sessions.

You will ideally need a room where you can control external light for best results and you need to decide what size screen you want and what seating distance you will be working with along with a budget to determine what kit you can afford and will it be a 720p or 1080p projector.

If you are going to be watching a lot of low resolution material (wii & standard def tv and dvd's) a 720p projector will be ok and you can get a projector for under £500.If you want higher def viewing as in blurays etc a 1080p will be best and £500-900 will get a 2D 1080p with £1k getting a 3D 1080p machine.

As to screen at a push you can use a white wall for free or a screen can cost from £100 and up for a cheap budget model.

I've not had a tv at home for the last 10 yrs, currently an epson ehtw3500 going onto a roughtly 84" diagonal screen.
You have to expect a soft image for most sky/freeview channels hd channels that are actually hd do look good.
Projector will be on for around 6 hrs a night continously, if you reckon your viewing habits will have you turning the projector on and off during your viewing time then you will compromise bulb life. If i reckon i'm going to have it on for less than 30 minutes i don't bother or just leave it on because of this.
Current bulb has over 2600 hrs in around 1 1/4 yrs new bulb around £200, supposed life of 4000 hrs so being conservative 2yrs per bulb.
Only real problem is you forget how special it is when watching normal "tv" every day on a projector and large sceen, don't get me wrong I will never go back noraml screens just seem too small. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom